October 09, 2023
2617 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2811 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
08 Oct 2022 00:23 #336033 by Jackwraith
Goddammit. I was tempted last year by Vysetron waxing poetic about Shamans, but I was still in "don't need more games" mode. I have three other Kickstarters arriving in the next year (Tiny Epic Vikings, Ra, and an expansion for 51st State. And, oh, MAYBE the Cthulhu Wars stuff...) But Dan Thurot was gushing praise on Shamans today and I found it online for $24. For that little money, I can break my current rule once, I guess.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2022 03:29 #336035 by thegiantbrain
Picked up Beyond the Sun recently after playing the BGA implementation. I really like it. A review coming when I've played more. The emergent narrative about your civ is great and it just plays really smoothly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
08 Oct 2022 04:47 - 08 Oct 2022 04:48 #336037 by sornars

Ah_Pook wrote: Used book store had Pathfinder Adventure Card Game Skull & Shackles for $7, most of the cards still in shrink and at least 1 adventure pack in the box. So that seemed like a thing I should buy. I've always wanted to try the PACG.

I really enjoyed the app for a time but I started to find the gameplay loop very repetitive after several plays. I still think for $7 you'll get more than enough value out of the box.
Last edit: 08 Oct 2022 04:48 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
09 Oct 2022 18:35 #336053 by Ah_Pook
Man the Pathfinder adventure card game rulebook is pretty dire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
11 Oct 2022 15:05 #336084 by southernman
I've mainly been selling in the last six months but have picked up a few as well:
Attack on Titan: Deck-Building Game - bought because my adult lad likes this anime show and it is a very decent deckbuilder, follows the show with its new mechanics.
This War of Mine: KS edition - came up for a good price, now have to sell my retail copy.
HEXplore IT: Sands of Shurax Board + expansion - wanted a game in this series to try out and got this for a extremely good price.
Tales from the Loop - another interesting design co-op found at a good price.
Plus picked up some Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective series at decent prices to complete the set, games to play when I'm older and have spare time I suppose.

I sold enough games at prices I wanted, some even a bit higher, to not feel that guilty at games coming in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, hotseatgames, sornars

More
15 Oct 2022 12:13 #336171 by Jackwraith
Was watching Rodney Smith's video about how to play 3000 Scoundrels and, uh, that looks kinda dreadful. I'm halfway through it and I don't think we've gotten to the point where any game is actually played. Has anyone actually tried this at a con or otherwise?

More
16 Oct 2022 13:24 #336189 by Michael Barnes
I reviewed it here- it's really good. Not really very complicated at all. I think you might dig it actually.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
16 Oct 2022 15:10 #336191 by Jackwraith
Yeah, it didn't look complicated. It just didn't seem like there was very much game there. It seemed like a lot of setup (sleeves on card to create different combos, playing poker cards face down and deciding whether people are bluffing, and then...?) and not much action. Forgot you wrote the review so will read it.

More
17 Oct 2022 09:16 #336202 by hotseatgames
Can I get some opinions on Folklore: The Affliction? Greenbriar are having a huge sale on it.

More
17 Oct 2022 09:40 #336205 by Ah_Pook
My impression of it, having not played it mind you, is that it's a shit show rules wise and kind of a clunky slog to play but the minis are nice and the theme is cool. If you want to basically houserule your own game out from under their mess go for it, but there's probably a reason it's on sale...

Obviously take this with a grain of salt since I haven't played it :)

More
17 Oct 2022 10:31 - 17 Oct 2022 10:32 #336210 by Virabhadra
That is most Kickstarter games, isn't it?

I think it would be cool to address the physical waste and overall mediocrity of the hobby's crowdfunding period by sponsoring a competition either to rework old titles or create completely new games out of their components. The real spiritual successor to Heroscape starts with a big bin of miniatures from dozens of forgettable Kickstarter games.
Last edit: 17 Oct 2022 10:32 by Virabhadra.

More
17 Oct 2022 10:40 #336211 by charlest
I really enjoyed Folklore the Affliction back when it originally came out. It is messy and the biggest issue is that balance is rough, but it is probably the closest board game to TTRPG experience out there.

I enjoyed the guided story with branching decisions and thought the quests were very clever. It does some interesting stuff with having shorter and more abstracted encounters, very simple events, and full blown moving on a grid encounters. It weaves between these which keeps the pace interesting.

You don't want it though if you can't put up with the jankiness and you also don't want to commit to a campaign.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Ah_Pook

More
17 Oct 2022 10:52 #336213 by hotseatgames
Sounds like it's an interesting game that I don't really have room in my life for.... they are offering it for a hell of a price ($200 for what is supposedly $400 worth of stuff) but I still will pass.

More
17 Oct 2022 11:48 #336215 by Sagrilarus
I refuse to purchase any game with a colon in the title.

We had an impromptu contest here a few years back where you had to create a game title in the form "Noun: The Noun" and more than a few of them were hilarious. Folklore: The Affliction would hold its own in that list.

Who the f**k thought Folklore: The Affliction was a good idea for a title?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer, lj1983, Smeagol, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
17 Oct 2022 12:00 #336216 by charlest
Eh, colons make sense when a game is planned as a series with follow ups. Folklore is not a bad title either as it's a gothic Ravenloft-esque setting. The Affliction is likely because the main plotline has to do with lycanthropy.

Many great games with colons.

Heroscape, Wings of Glory, Through the Ages, Warriors of God, The Adventurers. And that's just picking a few games I know you like, Sag.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.612 seconds