October 09, 2023
2585 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2783 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
11 Apr 2022 15:05 - 11 Apr 2022 15:06 #332220 by ubarose
I bought a copy of Spicy this weekend. On the surface it looks like the old card game “Bullshit,” but the scoring and in game timer significantly increases both the risk and the reward for calling bullshit.

Folks were a bit dubious about playing it (because Bullshit isn’t exactly what anyone would call a gamer’s game), but it was the end of the night and I hadn’t picked a game all weekend, so they humored me. After playing it once, they all wanted to play again. We would have played a third time if it wasn’t so late, and folks really needed to start heading home.

You could create your own version of the game by combining two standard decks of playing cards, and weeding out the extra cards. However, the selling point for Spicy is the gorgeous and hilarious art work. The images on the internet doesn’t do them justice. Totally worth the $15 for me. Looks like it is out of stock everywhere now (or available at inflated prices), so I guess I lucked into stumbling across it at the game shop.

Also, one of the people I played with was one of the game shop owners, and he was like, “Where did you get this game?” And I was like, “I just bought it from you. You got like 4 more copies in front by the kid’s games.”
Last edit: 11 Apr 2022 15:06 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, hotseatgames, sornars, Gregarius, DarthJoJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2022 16:04 - 11 Apr 2022 16:07 #332222 by Cranberries

Sagrilarus wrote: This thing cost $4.90 to ship. So when it's time to move it on to someone, I slip it into an envelope and send it on the cheap. It's ideal, it's easy. Nobody is looking to ship their copy of Gloomhaven no matter how done they are with it.

Two good things might come from these increased shipping prices and the trend towards heavy plastic:

1) Perhaps there will be a small box backlash, a glorious resurgence of affordable, shippable, cheaper games, like those Chea-Pass envelope games. I'm thinking John Clowdus card games, or Rocky Mountain Man .

2) Increased face to face math trades and game swaps, on the level of neighborhoods and cities.

It's interesting how the materiality of board games makes everything a little more local. Board games are the not-so-new replacement for bowling leagues .
Last edit: 11 Apr 2022 16:07 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, sornars, Gregarius

More
25 Apr 2022 13:55 #332545 by DarthJoJo
Drove an hour down the interstate to the big city (almost 70,000 people but a good bit bigger than my town) yesterday and capped off our visit with a stop at the game store. The boys’ eyes got a little big as they tried to find the “mean” Ticket to Ride and every King of Tokyo expansion. We ended up just picking up Sushi Go! (for them) and 7 Wonders Duel (for us), but they were pretty pleased to dig through the basket of free promos and find King of Tokyo characters for our dark edition. Owner even threw in a free copy of Killer Bunnies and the Ultimate Odyssey because the distributor was using the box as packing peanuts. Worth it as a distraction for the two-year-old and a handful of polyhedral dice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, WadeMonnig, Ah_Pook

More
02 May 2022 17:36 #332761 by Rliyen
Bought Kemet: Blood and Sand from the BGG market and it arrived today. The game was brought to my attention on how BADLY the company fucked over KS backers with the 2nd edition. Hence the reason I bought it on the market place and not from them directly. Looks gorgeous and I love Egyptian mythology, so it was a no brainer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, jpat, WadeMonnig

More
04 May 2022 15:03 #332811 by WadeMonnig

Rliyen wrote: Bought Kemet: Blood and Sand from the BGG market and it arrived today. The game was brought to my attention on how BADLY the company fucked over KS backers with the 2nd edition. Hence the reason I bought it on the market place and not from them directly. Looks gorgeous and I love Egyptian mythology, so it was a no brainer.

Do follow up with your impressions of this. I think I've wrote about it 3 or 4 times about it now on the site. STILL my favorite game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
05 May 2022 10:28 #332828 by Rliyen

WadeMonnig wrote:

Rliyen wrote: Bought Kemet: Blood and Sand from the BGG market and it arrived today. The game was brought to my attention on how BADLY the company fucked over KS backers with the 2nd edition. Hence the reason I bought it on the market place and not from them directly. Looks gorgeous and I love Egyptian mythology, so it was a no brainer.

Do follow up with your impressions of this. I think I've wrote about it 3 or 4 times about it now on the site. STILL my favorite game.

I'll definitely have time to actually play this weekend. But the 2e rulebook? Oofah. Does not help it. I'm actually YEARNING for a FFG-esque rulebook, because at least they try to make sense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
05 May 2022 15:11 #332833 by WadeMonnig

Rliyen wrote:

WadeMonnig wrote:

I'll definitely have time to actually play this weekend. But the 2e rulebook? Oofah. Does not help it. I'm actually YEARNING for a FFG-esque rulebook, because at least they try to make sense.

Holy shit, I had not looked into the 2e rulebook until you mentioned this (Still playing my original 1e copy). Its pretty damn awful. Have you looked at the "compressed" version? Don't know why they chose the word compressed but it looks to be the latest update. boardgamegeek.com/file/download_redirect...ookEN_compressed.pdf
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
05 May 2022 18:26 #332835 by Rliyen
THAT'S the one I'm talking about. It's awful. The compressed one is no different than the one that I got with the game. Can you explain to me the ACQUIRE action, because as it's written the rulebook, it doesn't make sense to me.

More
05 May 2022 20:02 #332836 by WadeMonnig

Rliyen wrote: THAT'S the one I'm talking about. It's awful. The compressed one is no different than the one that I got with the game. Can you explain to me the ACQUIRE action, because as it's written the rulebook, it doesn't make sense to me.

Oh shit lol Let me try to make this simpler than they explain it.
Acquire is buying a power tile. Power tiles are linked to the color of your pyramids. You have to have a pyramid of that color in order to purchase a power tile of the same color. Pyramids also have levels and you are restricted from buying higher level power tiles until you have "leveled up" that color pyramid to the proper level (Level 2,3,4). You are also limited to buying one power tile of each color per "Day phase" and this is indicated by placing your action token on that color tile on your personal board. You pay for tiles when you take this action using prayer points equal to the power level of the tile.

Okay, that's the long and the short of it. The rest of the "explanation" of acquire are other restrictions. The whole "you can't have a tile with the same artwork" just means there are some doubles of power tiles and you can't have the same tile with the same power twice. This includes some tiles that simply give you a permanent victory point.
The whole "you haven't acquired a power tile of this color this phase" is covered on your personal game board, since you place an action token on it when you first take it, so it should be obvious you can't take that action again.
Controlling a pyramid of that color at least the same level just means you have to have a level 2 Blue Pyramid in order to buy a level 2 blue power card. You need a level 3 red pyramid in order to buy a level 3 red tile, etc...
The whole "You have an empty acquire space..." blah blah blah just means that you can't take an acquire action if you are out of action tokens or empty spaces to place them.
The "You are able to spend the PP as it's level" just means you have to have enough Prayer Points to buy the tile. (1 for level one, two for level two, etc...)

An example would be something like this:

Every player starts with 3 levels of pyramids and for simplicity sake let's just assume they chose to place a level 1 white, a level one blue, and a level one red pyramid. On their turn, they can purchase a level one white, red or blue power tile. Let's say they bought a level one white power tile. They would then place their marker onto the white tile space on their personal board. For the rest of this day phase, they can not buy any more white tiles. On their next turn they could acquire a level one red tile or level one blue tile. If they chose to, instead, level up their red pyramid to level 2, the following round they could purchase. a level one blue tile OR a level 1 OR level 2 red tile since they just upgraded their Red Pyramid to level 2.

While this is for the first edition of the game, you can watch Rodney Smith play a round with his kid that gives you actual examples of the (mostly unchanged) turns/rounds.

More
06 May 2022 17:22 #332861 by Rliyen
Okay, the acquire explanation here made a lot more sense than the gibberish in the rulebook.

One more question. Does the Seth expansion work with the 2e version? The reason why I ask is that I sometimes have 6 players and I want to broaden the amount of games to accommodate that amount.

More
06 May 2022 18:51 - 06 May 2022 19:02 #332865 by WadeMonnig

Rliyen wrote: Okay, the acquire explanation here made a lot more sense than the gibberish in the rulebook.

One more question. Does the Seth expansion work with the 2e version? The reason why I ask is that I sometimes have 6 players and I want to broaden the amount of games to accommodate that amount.

You know, I'm not sure. The map changes could make it incompatible. Honestly though, unless Kemet is a raging success at your table and every one of the players is completely comfortable with playing Kemet, it's not going to be something six players are going to enjoy. Even one new player is likely to feel overwhelmed and "alphaed" by the experienced players. And a six player Seth game is going to be pretty damn long.
Edit from my review of Kemet: Seth
"One of the typical comments about expansions is “You can add this to the Base Game and teach it all at once!” Can you do this with Kemet: Seth? No. Non. Nyet. Nein. This expansion necessitates more than just a passing familiarity with the base game. If Kemet was the sleek, smooth DeLorean, this is the Flux Capacitor that is bolted to it. It's not super slick, it has some hiccups but damn, what a ride. Forget that quick and tidy 90 minute game of Kemet: this is three hours of chaos. Expect some rule checking and learning the ropes of all the new powers your first few plays. You certainly don't want to be learning the basics while trying to grasp the complexities of this "
Last edit: 06 May 2022 19:02 by WadeMonnig. Reason: Added
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, sornars

More
06 May 2022 22:32 #332870 by Jackwraith
Second that. Seth UTTERLY changes the game. It simply isn't Kemet anymore with the Seth expansion. It's something like Kemet, with a lot of familiar parts, but it's just not the same game.

More
06 May 2022 23:18 #332871 by WadeMonnig
On six player games, I've always wanted to try Cyclades:Titans at six players. (Teams of two players) Anyone ever tried it?

More
07 May 2022 06:53 #332875 by southernman
In the last month I've grabbed 2nd hand copies of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases, to go with its Jack the Ripper sibling for someday in the future when I have spare time to sit down and play detective games, and Dungeons & Dragons Wrath of Ashardalon for some shorter (in comparison to many of my games) dungeon crawl fun (already played three scenarios one afternoon).
But I need to start selling off :pinch: to prepare for the tsunami of backlogged KSers that are arriving (finally) this year, Machina Arcana 3e arrived today and a lot more to come.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
07 May 2022 12:40 - 07 May 2022 12:40 #332879 by ubarose
I just bought Ticket to Ride (USA). LOL. I’ve never owned it, because everyone else did. I got to missing it recently, what with not being able to play with all those other folks over the last couple of years. Saw it for 40% off, and figured what the heck, why not own a copy myself.
Last edit: 07 May 2022 12:40 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, WadeMonnig, DarthJoJo, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.325 seconds