October 09, 2023
2443 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
03 Jun 2021 16:08 #323685 by southernman

charlest wrote: Yes, that one Southern. And the competitive nature of it is my biggest concern. The framework of these types of games doesn't support that mode of play well.

It's received a ton of hype though and I feel I need to cover it, couldn't get a review copy so I bought it.

I think it is very well done for the young age of this new type of boardgaming and it has many people on BGG happy with it, I (and other posts on BGG) just don't think their 'open information' design is compatible with a competitive game mode.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2021 16:46 #323687 by Ah_Pook

sornars wrote: re: Babylonia Everyone who has played seems to rate this very highly but it has generated next to no buzz from what I've seen. I would be keen to hear your thoughts if you do end up picking it up!

Babylonia is basically Blue Lagoon 2. Blue Lagoon is great, but I got rid of it and Babylonia for the same reason. I already have Through The Desert, Samurai and Tigris and Euphrates and Stephenson's Rocket. Do I need another Knizia tile laying game that is basically a mashup of mechanics from games that I already have and love and don't get to the table enough, even if it's a nice solid iterative design? They're both well worth playing and extremely enjoyable though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, charlest, mc, DarthJoJo

More
04 Jun 2021 01:58 - 04 Jun 2021 02:04 #323693 by Dr. Mabuse
I found a used copy of Vaccarino's Greed (thanks to the short games article. I love crime games like Nostra City, and After Pablo so this is a welcome addition.
Last edit: 04 Jun 2021 02:04 by Dr. Mabuse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, sornars, charlest, repairmanjack

More
09 Jun 2021 16:14 #323833 by Ah_Pook

Ah_Pook wrote: I'm definitely going to buy MicroMacro once you can actually but it. Real hyped to play that one with my wife.

Speak of the devil, cardhaus has this back in stock. Presumably a wider restock will happen soon, but hey I bought it. My wife loves hidden object games and puzzly crime stuff, it's like this was made for her.

More
13 Aug 2021 16:23 - 13 Aug 2021 16:30 #325558 by Cranberries
Someone down the street from me is selling Pyramid Arcade for $35. It is one of those Looney Labs 25-games-in-one deals, with NINETY plastic pyramids. I've owned pyramids before and my kids and wife weren't into the games, so I traded them. But this normally goes for $77 plus shipping, and I'm sure that this time around my wife will really enjoy these games, or that I'll magically find someone who likes to play them.

Please talk me out of getting this. I know in my heart that I will never play any of them, and just read a bunch of reviews of Homeworlds and never figure out how to play it, and eventually sell it at a loss. Help me, my impulse control is especially low today and my birthday is coming up. Thank you.

Oh, I also finally acquired a copy of Robinson Crusoe that my friend owns and had been shuttling between us, unplayed, for years. .
Last edit: 13 Aug 2021 16:30 by Cranberries.

More
13 Aug 2021 16:58 #325560 by ChristopherMD
It's garbage and you can play their games using anything that stacks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Sagrilarus, birdman37, mc

More
14 Aug 2021 00:10 #325568 by Ah_Pook
I previously would have said get it if you want to play Zendo, but then they released a new standalone version of Zendo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
14 Aug 2021 01:44 #325569 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What board games are you BUYING?

ChristopherMD wrote: It's garbage and you can play their games using anything that stacks.

This is an excellent answer to the request.

I was going to dispute it but I will refrain out of respect.

I really did enjoy Babylonia when I was playing it probably this time last year. Whoever said they've got T&E, Samurai, TTD and SR, so why would they bother, is pretty much bang on though. I played T&E yesterday for the first time in ages and got genuinely excited all over again; I can't see Babylonia doing that in a few years time. But if you didn't have any other Knizia tile/camel/whatever layers at all, it would be an excellent addition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
14 Aug 2021 04:51 #325573 by Erik Twice

CranBerries wrote: I've owned pyramids before and my kids and wife weren't into the games, so I traded them. But this normally goes for $77 plus shipping, and I'm sure that this time around my wife will really enjoy these games, or that I'll magically find someone who likes to play them.

I think you like the idea of playing these games, not the reality of owning them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
14 Aug 2021 07:11 #325575 by DukeofChutney

mc wrote:

ChristopherMD wrote: It's garbage and you can play their games using anything that stacks.

This is an excellent answer to the request.

I was going to dispute it but I will refrain out of respect.

I really did enjoy Babylonia when I was playing it probably this time last year. Whoever said they've got T&E, Samurai, TTD and SR, so why would they bother, is pretty much bang on though. I played T&E yesterday for the first time in ages and got genuinely excited all over again; I can't see Babylonia doing that in a few years time. But if you didn't have any other Knizia tile/camel/whatever layers at all, it would be an excellent addition.

I own and love Babylonia entirely on this basis. It gives you the Knizia fix in 10 mins per player. T&E has more bite but I don't own that and it is harder to find players for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mc

More
15 Aug 2021 22:36 #325619 by Cranberries

Erik Twice wrote:

CranBerries wrote: I've owned pyramids before and my kids and wife weren't into the games, so I traded them. But this normally goes for $77 plus shipping, and I'm sure that this time around my wife will really enjoy these games, or that I'll magically find someone who likes to play them.

I think you like the idea of playing these games, not the reality of owning them.

Killing me softly with his song . . .
The following user(s) said Thank You: birdman37

More
17 Aug 2021 08:39 #325681 by the_jake_1973
The Heroes of Stalingrad box was an irresistible half price online yesterday and I caved. It will be nice to have an additional faction for my Heroes games.

More
17 Aug 2021 09:25 #325683 by jpat
Not in any sense a deal, but I took a risk and bought a "like new" copy of Beyond the Sun from Amazon. It was actually like new, so no worries there, other than the annoying bar code sticker someone put on the box. Probably as much as anything, I was drawn in by the chunky cube/dice resources, but I think I'll actually like it.

More
21 Aug 2021 20:34 #325912 by ChristopherMD
Ordered Rogue Dungeon off game crafter as I've had good luck with them so far. Won't ship for a month but it's solo so I'll be able to play it right away when it does get here.

More
21 Sep 2021 16:55 #326689 by ubarose
We played Nanny Narking last week at game group. It's a light area control game. Normally I'd be like, "A member of game group owns it, we don't need another member with a copy. But then I saw it had an Event Card called "Inigo Jones," so I immediately decided I had to own my own copy.

I ordered it with the last of my birthday money. It should be here by the end of the week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.420 seconds