October 09, 2023
2505 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2704 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
21 Sep 2021 18:43 #326692 by Cranberries

ubarose wrote: We played Nanny Narking
I ordered it with the last of my birthday money. It should be here by the end of the week.

I am 55 years old and I love, love, love birthday money. Buy what you want, no rolled eyes or discussion about the family budget!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen, Gregarius, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2021 09:23 #327897 by san il defanso
Earlier this summer I bought two of the Mystery Rummy games, Jack the Ripper and Al Capone. I enjoyed both so much that I went ahead about bout the other three, Murders of the Rue Morgue, Jekyll & Hyde, and Escape from Alcatraz. They were all on sale on the Eagle-Gryphon website. Something about those games works really well for me, maybe some combination of the intuitive rummy mechanics, the way they reflect some fun thematic notes, and most of all how they encourage a certain "shoot the moon" mentality. Pretty excited about this one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook, n815e

More
12 Nov 2021 11:06 - 12 Nov 2021 11:06 #327899 by Rliyen
My recent purchases were Eldritch Horror, IDW's Planet of the Apes, and Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The Rise and Fall of Anvalor.

I picked up EH because I had it on my Amazon wishlist for some time, and I had some Nielsen points to burn for $50 in gift cards. So, gift card money burning in pocket gone.

The last two games I saw at a local Ollie's. They were $20 a pop, so why not? I admit I bought the Planet of the Apes game simply because they used the 1968 movie (which I love) as the theme. As for the other, I like Warhammer and figured it couldn't be too bad. Of course, before I purchased them I checked TOS and saw what the room temperature was for the games. I have a low threshold of expectations. If I like a game, despite warts people point out, I'll likely keep it. Not all games are terrible (Just Thieves Guild and Aggravation). However, If I don't, it'll end up on the Secret Satan GIVE TO A GOOD HOME pile.

One other thing, the Warhammer game weighed a TON. Seriously, I never felt such a dense game in my life. I thought I'd need a forklift to get it to the car.

Lastly, my OH, NO! MORMONS! game arrived - My Mythic Tier Heroquest pledge. Hasbro really outdid themselves with the sculpts. I'll post photos this weekend.
Last edit: 12 Nov 2021 11:06 by Rliyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, sornars

More
12 Nov 2021 18:03 #327915 by Cranberries

Rliyen wrote:
Lastly, my OH, NO! MORMONS! game arrived - My Mythic Tier Heroquest pledge. Hasbro really outdid themselves with the sculpts. I'll post photos this weekend.

I got kind of excited that there was some sort of Mormon-themed expansion for Heroquest until I Googled a bit.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, n815e

More
13 Nov 2021 12:22 #327923 by dysjunct
7 WONDERS: DUEL after playing it a bit on BGA. I got the iOS app a while ago and was really put off by the interface. Thought it was not fun and didn't seem worth learning. I reinstalled it and now it makes more sense.

Played a couple games with the 6yo and discovered that drafting games are really emotionally challenging for the younger set -- they don't react well to hate drafting.

POCKET PARAGONS arrived from the Kickstarter. A fun little dueling game in the vein of many other fighting game simulators -- pick a move, then simultaneously reveal. The characters are a hand of 8 cards, so there's not the memorization and card counting of Yomi. Just pure game theory payout matrix. Diverse characters create very interesting matchups, and there's a team mode like King Of Fighters where you select three fighters and fight through until one side loses their last warrior. A fun mechanic is that one of the cards is "Rest," which recovers all discards back to your hand. But if you rest when your opponent plays "Execute" then you auto-lose! So do you rest now? Later? Bluff? Good times.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, DarthJoJo

More
13 Nov 2021 13:39 #327924 by san il defanso
My 11-year-old has played a lot of 7 Wonders Duel with me. I have no use for the original game, but I love Duel. I actually think I might grab the second expansion before we head back overseas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, sornars, Gregarius

More
13 Nov 2021 20:19 #327943 by Cranberries

san il defanso wrote: My 11-year-old has played a lot of 7 Wonders Duel with me. I have no use for the original game, but I love Duel. I actually think I might grab the second expansion before we head back overseas.

Let's start a new thread: Which games would you bring to AFRICA?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, san il defanso

More
15 Nov 2021 19:38 #327992 by jpat
Sold my Marvel Champions stuff to the guy two posts up ( :) ) because I wasn't playing it and didn't want to hang onto another game system with too many regularly released expansions. So I bought a core set for Star Wars Legion (and, of course, more paint).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, san il defanso, sornars

More
15 Nov 2021 20:12 #327993 by Sagrilarus
I’m eyeballing Escape From Hades, Aurelian, and This Guilty Land during Hollandspiele’s annual sale. Haven’t pulled the trigger yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
15 Nov 2021 21:30 #327994 by san il defanso

jpat wrote: Sold my Marvel Champions stuff to the guy two posts up ( :) ) because I wasn't playing it and didn't want to hang onto another game system with too many regularly released expansions. So I bought a core set for Star Wars Legion (and, of course, more paint).

What have I done?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, jpat, Ah_Pook

More
15 Nov 2021 22:04 #327995 by Michael Barnes
Certainly you’ve picked up Shadow of the Mad Titan and War Machine so you can remain current, Nate?
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
15 Nov 2021 22:05 #327996 by charlest

Sagrilarus wrote: I’m eyeballing Escape From Hades, Aurelian, and This Guilty Land during Hollandspiele’s annual sale. Haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

Escape From Hades is great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
15 Nov 2021 22:27 - 15 Nov 2021 23:33 #327997 by san il defanso

Michael Barnes wrote: Certainly you’ve picked up Shadow of the Mad Titan and War Machine so you can remain current, Nate?

I got Mad Titan, but when I placed my MM order War Machine wasn't in stock yet, and Mad Titan was going FAST. So I just have that one.
Last edit: 15 Nov 2021 23:33 by san il defanso.

More
16 Nov 2021 07:22 - 16 Nov 2021 08:48 #328001 by Sagrilarus

charlest wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: I’m eyeballing Escape From Hades, Aurelian, and This Guilty Land during Hollandspiele’s annual sale. Haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

Escape From Hades is great.

Sold! Thanks for the feedback.

What's the word on Aurelian and Guilty Land? Anybody play either? I think Guilty Land has a solid reputation (if sparse) but I haven't heard much of anything about Aurelian. That was my third game in, got me over $100 so it more or less cost me $15 with the additional discount.

I usually go to BGG and read the personal comments on people that have given the game a 7 rating to see what information I can glean. But a fair number of the comments say, "Punched" or "PNP" so there's not a lot of information to be had.
Last edit: 16 Nov 2021 08:48 by Sagrilarus.

More
16 Nov 2021 12:22 #328014 by Rliyen

san il defanso wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: Certainly you’ve picked up Shadow of the Mad Titan and War Machine so you can remain current, Nate?

I got Mad Titan, but when I placed my MM order War Machine wasn't in stock yet, and Mad Titan was going FAST. So I just have that one.

As much as I want to check out MM, and buy all the clearance items, I need to stay away from it for now. Already, I have several new games and they haven't even made it to the table due to the plague. If I buy more, I'm afraid of two things:

1. My body being discovered in a shallow grave, with my wife being lauded for justifiable homicide; and
2. I don't want to end up like my dearly departed stepfather, whose baseball horde is still sizeable, and with the games being unplayed by him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.711 seconds