October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2720 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game

More
22 Sep 2019 18:03 #301911 by Gary Sax
I reracked the game with the spouse once we are not intensely stresssed out all the time. She requested Jenny Barnes. This time I read the descriptions of starter deck strategy from that FFG doc to her so she could decide, I'm really glad FFG included those.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2019 13:15 #304703 by Ah_Pook
www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/12/2/barkham-horror/

If y'all remember the Barkham Horror April fool's day thing from a while back, apparently I wasn't the only one whose first thought was "Wait, actually make that though!" It's going to be a real stand alone scenario. I am deeply pleased by this silly thing, and look forward to playing it. It looks incredible . I very much look forward to mashing dog related cards into my regular Arkham decks too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, DarthJoJo

More
02 Dec 2019 14:25 #304705 by DarthJoJo
The best part? Duke is his own investigator who has a Friendly Human ally and can presumably take the Stray Cat and Miss Doyle allies.

More
03 Dec 2019 16:30 #304733 by bfkiller
This is the best thing FFG has done in quite a while and I don't mean that in a backhanded way at all. Truly awesome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
03 Dec 2019 16:36 #304734 by Gary Sax
I think it being set in a universe they have a considerable amount more creative control over than other iterations (Marvel) is helpful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
03 Dec 2019 20:30 #304748 by DarthJoJo

Gary Sax wrote: I think it being set in a universe they have a considerable amount more creative control over than other iterations (Marvel) is helpful.

No doubt, but I can’t see them ever doing something like this with L5R.

More
13 Dec 2019 22:35 #305102 by Disgustipater
Amazon currently has the base game for $23 so I picked it up without knowing much about it, other that a lot of people seem to like it. I like the campaign aspect. Anyway, I have a question: The King in Yellow is my favorite stuff in the mythos, and I will definitely pick up the Path to Carcosa. Is it advisable to do the Dunwich Legacy stuff before Carcosa?

More
13 Dec 2019 23:20 #305103 by DarthJoJo
It’s probably okay. The difficulty isn’t too much of a jump, the investigators are pretty straightforward and the scenarios aren’t bonkers convoluted. The campaigns are all meant to be their own starting point, but Forgotten Age and Circle Undone definitely seem better suited to experienced players.

More
13 Dec 2019 23:34 #305104 by Disgustipater
I don't mind doing Dunwich first, I was just curious.

More
14 Dec 2019 00:20 #305105 by DarthJoJo
Upon second look, I totally misread your question. Yeah, Dunwich first is no problem at all. I particularly like that all the new investigators work pretty well in a limited card pool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Disgustipater

More
14 Dec 2019 03:36 - 14 Dec 2019 03:38 #305107 by Gary Sax
If it's similar the question I had, Digustipater, it really is totally your call---each cycle is a complete game reset, new characters, etc so it doesn't matter what order you buy them/do them. I'd just go with whichever most interests you. Dunwich seems to be the most common to recommend because the scenarios aren't too complicated and the cards with it are pretty general and useful for your character deckbuilding (what Darthjojo is talking about).
Last edit: 14 Dec 2019 03:38 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Disgustipater, DarthJoJo

More
16 Dec 2019 05:13 #305144 by thegiantbrain
As everyone else has said you really can pick up stuff in any order you want. In my beginner's guide I recommend starting with the most recent cycle if you want to take part in the current conversations going on in the community. If you don't care about that then go for whatever you want. I would say that Carcosa is a fair leap in terms of the complexity of scenarios and how the designers are willing to mess with you. Dunwich is a gentler introduction to that kind of thing, Carcosa is probably the best of the game so far though I really enjoyed Circle Undone as well.

If you are going into Carcosa it is worth noting there is an errata for scenario 3, Echoes of the Pat that you should read up on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Disgustipater

More
20 Dec 2019 10:06 #305329 by DarthJoJo
Finished a three-player campaign of The Forgotten Age last night. After a five-minute argument between Jenny Barnes and "Diamond" Joe whether we should side with Yig and the snakes or humanity, we lost on doom one location away from powering up the Relic of Ages and mending the tear in time. Honestly, it was a much better finish than I expected when we came into the scenario with thirteen total trauma. I was pretty well ready to bin the whole campaign after Boundary Beyond ended before Padma even showed up and my Norman was shot three times when Joe and Jenny missed the snake on top of me.

Some notes on play:
-Pnakotic Manuscripts is totally worth it at five resources and five experience, even without Daisy getting the bonus action. Well Maintained Pnakotic Manuscripts are hilarious and even more useful.
-I don't get Norman. I was experimenting with the seal cards and powering Protective Incantation with Dr. Milan, but it always felt disjointed. I rarely used his innate outside of the final scenario when everything just clicked.
-I can never give Jenny to one of my fellow players again. His whole strategy was getting max bullets on the .45 Thompson with multiple Contraband and still not using it more than its original clip allowed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Ah_Pook, thegiantbrain

More
30 Dec 2019 23:20 #305643 by DarthJoJo
My wife and I finished our Return to Carcosa campaign last night. We had been doing pretty well. There were a few tight finishes, but we were still winning scenarios. Then Dim Carcosa happened. We were only six damage away from finishing Hastur on Conviction before he personally saw to the demise of Jim and Joe, but it wasn't that close. There was some bad luck in drawing way too many enemies (four were left on the board after my wife emptied two separate guns, and I never played any weapons), and we went through every additional location but one looking to damage Hastur. First time we've ever blown a campaign since our woefully misbegotten run of the core Night of the Zealot campaign with Skids and Daisy.

Notes on the campaign:
-The designer took a light touch in refining and revising what is probably the community's consensus favorite campaign. A few rules to cover up exploits that most players didn't realize were there, and a few new scenario cards that did a great job of making the entire thing more threatening. Probably a less necessary expansion than the Return to Dunwich, but a great job, nonetheless.
-After accounting for the new weaknesses, my wife and I both ended the campaign on 16 experience. I know Carcosa and Dunwich were stingy with their reward, but good grief. I've earned more experience than that after three scenarios of Forgotten Age.
-My Jim deck used a lot of the new mystic cards that reward you for drawing the skull and other face tokens, but I never fully committed to it, so it never felt like it really came together.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax

More
03 Jan 2020 03:27 #305720 by thegiantbrain
If you want to do some chaos bag manipulation I really recommend Father Mateo with some bag diving nonsense like Recall the Future, Olive McBride, Ritual Candles etc. Lots of fun, if brain burning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.359 seconds