October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game

More
21 Apr 2017 14:21 #246895 by dragonstout
The big campaign boxes (of which Dunwich Legacy is the only so far) have new investigators, new investigator cards, and two new scenarios to start the campaign. The small follow-up boxes to the campaign have new investigator cards and a new scenario (which is part of the campaign), but no new investigators. The one-offs, like Curse of the Rougarou, have a new scenario that stands alone but can be played within any campaign, but no new cards for deckbuilding at all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2019 18:27 #299037 by Gary Sax
I am so confused on something in the product line, can anyone help me out?

Ok, so you need the base game. From there, you can buy a big box and the 6 mythos packs associated with it. Is that right? Can you go in any order in terms of which big box and mythos pack series or only by release order?

Now they're being extra confusing. What are these?

www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/a...return-night-zealot/
www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/a...turn-dunwich-legacy/

Do I buy these with the big box and mythos packs? Is it worth it/essential? Or is this just a component upgrade? wtf are these?

More
29 Jun 2019 18:52 - 29 Jun 2019 18:56 #299038 by Ah_Pook
The return boxes are mainly storage boxes with cards that change up some scenarios from the original campaign and have some marginal player cards. My understanding is that they are the very last thing you should buy.

As far as playing the campaigns in different order, there's nothing to stop you from doing so rules wise. The issue is them ratcheting up in difficulty and you not having the library of released cards to respond effectively with your decks. Plus they add more and weirder mechanics as they go.
Last edit: 29 Jun 2019 18:56 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
29 Jun 2019 21:15 #299041 by DarthJoJo
Regarding the order to buy campaigns, I would recommend Dunwich Legacy first as the campaign is pretty solid and the new investigators have wide-open deck building options that are easier with a limited card pool. Then either Carcosa or the current Circle Undone as they have the best individual scenarios. Finally Forgotten Age as it can be an absolute grinder but might be the best narratively.

Or just buy whatever campaign you can actually get everything for. It would be pretty rough to get everything but scenario five and wait months for the reprint.

You also missed the standalone scenarios like Rougarou and Carnevale. They’re a lot of fun and can be crammed into a campaign but are inessential. Maybe a good idea if you want to bring one and some leveled decks to a game night.

More
17 Aug 2019 00:15 #300871 by Gary Sax
Birthday today, so I just got this.

Something I'm not understanding about the campaign structure is if the new campaigns add new investigators, how does that work? Am I wrong that the game is about building up your investigator and customizing their deck over many plays? How does that work unless you buy a couple of the other big boxes that have investigators in them from the start? Do most people just play base game investigators, in practice?

More
17 Aug 2019 09:11 #300875 by ubarose
You start fresh investigators when you start a new campaign. Your don’t carry over your built up investigators from campaign to campaign.

More
17 Aug 2019 09:16 #300876 by Gary Sax
Oh! That's helpful!

More
17 Aug 2019 12:45 #300880 by Ah_Pook
What all did you get?

More
17 Aug 2019 13:02 #300882 by Gary Sax
Just base set, my spouse bought it as a surprise. Might throw dunwich and cycle into an order if we like it in our first games.

More
19 Aug 2019 23:34 - 19 Aug 2019 23:35 #300922 by Gary Sax
Spouse and I played this today for the first time. First thing's first, we were pretty tired from a long ass day of work. So keep that in mind.

For me, jury is out a little. It has this weird quality of being very simple, with refreshingly brief overhead. You can see that they really cut out as many administration points as possible when redesigning it as an LCG. The way the enemy just damages you with predictable amounts of horror and physical damage without checks, etc.

On the other hand, despite its mechanical simplicity, it is definitely not an intro game for casual gamers. Every card, every objective, every item is a wall of text that is *different.* I get that that's the draw, but it really ups the investment level in the game. So even though mechnically it's very streamlined, every element requires careful reading and consideration of how it interacts with everything else. The stage three with the ally in the parlor. My spouse trying to parse the interaction between the urchin's amulet and a fast event ability she pulled from the discard. Etc. It's a lot of moving parts, with no static parts.

We're both interested in playing it again.
Last edit: 19 Aug 2019 23:35 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo, Ah_Pook

More
19 Aug 2019 23:47 #300923 by DarthJoJo
I didn’t think of the game being that complex coming from the Thrones LCG, but you’re right. There is a lot of text and effects can come from several different sources. However the encounter sets system helps in this regard. While every scenario will have its original acts, agendas, locations, etc., the encounter deck will reuse encounter sets, and you’ll get used to them. Those from the core reappear in every campaign while each campaign deluxe introduces eight or so new sets for that series.

Glad to hear you’re looking forward to the next play. The second scenario is tops.

More
27 Aug 2019 12:53 #301126 by Gary Sax
I'm a sucker and I bought the dunwich deluxe box and all the little packs with birthday money. If it continues fizzling with two I'll just solo it or i can just ship it out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo, Ah_Pook

More
27 Aug 2019 13:56 #301131 by DarthJoJo
And you can come join us in Iain’s recaps! It’s all upside! If you do go the solo route, Roland and Jenny are pretty solid choices as is Wendy if you’re willing to try a pacifist run.

More
27 Aug 2019 15:19 #301134 by ubarose
Iain also has a beginners guide on his website: Arkham Horror Card Game Beginners Guide

Al and I started playing, but then got busy with other things. We keep saying we need to play again. We are way behind, so I have been trying to prep "Beyond the Veil" without actually reading it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, thegiantbrain

More
27 Aug 2019 17:13 #301138 by thegiantbrain
Planning to update that soon as it is now a little out of date with Circle being finished and the new cycle announced.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.266 seconds