October 09, 2023
2614 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2810 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
30 Mar 2021 10:26 #321415 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
It's crazy how many people are more afraid of the cure than the disease. Especially a disease which can have severe long-term consequences even for survivors.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2021 11:22 #321424 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus

edulis wrote: Money does indeed talk, I hope more companies offer incentives to get the vaccine. I work in a prison and its crazy how many guards are turning down the vaccine, which it literally being brought to them at work.

+++ this. The social cost of the disease to organizations is so immense that it's easy to justify even what look like large payments to get people to take the vaccine if they are able.

More
30 Mar 2021 11:59 #321430 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Coronavirus
FFS, the selfish mindset of American culture is what kills me. The Reagan era did so much to damage to the cultural outlook of this country. I've talked to a couple people who were cagey about the vaccine and I was like: "You remember polio, don't you? You don't? You know why you don't? Because everyone got the vaccine to wipe it out in this country! That's how vaccines work. It isn't just about you. It's about you and everyone else around you."

And the worst thing is that it isn't even the warped outlook of general anti-vaxxers that's driving a lot of the resistance. It's people who don't want to admit that they were wrong about COVID. Yes, it's really a big deal. No, it doesn't matter that you said it wasn't before this. No one should hold that against you now because you weren't in a position to drive public policy about it. You're just a deluded Fox News watcher. Just get the damn vaccine and let's move on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Frohike, Smeagol

More
30 Mar 2021 12:32 #321433 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus
I kind of understand it though. Politics and anti-vaxxers aside, for the average person medical information can be confusing and contradictory, and having that trusted family doctor that has the time to explain an advise is no longer the norm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith

More
30 Mar 2021 12:48 #321434 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Coronavirus
If the populace had been getting their "information" from a Facebook feed back in the day, I'm sure polio would still be alive and well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Jackwraith

More
30 Mar 2021 12:57 #321435 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Coronavirus

ubarose wrote: I kind of understand it though. Politics and anti-vaxxers aside, for the average person medical information can be confusing and contradictory, and having that trusted family doctor that has the time to explain an advise is no longer the norm.

That's true. And I'm sounding more harsh than I usually am to people. Certainly, beating them over the head in the tone I posted isn't going to make things better. I'm just aggravated that people have been instructed to do exactly what makes it worse for them and for everyone else in the name of something not even connected to the problem. Hotseat is exactly right. It just demonstrates how little we've progressed past the damn Middle Ages in some respects.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Nodens

More
30 Mar 2021 13:47 #321438 by ubarose

Jackwraith wrote:
That's true. And I'm sounding more harsh than I usually am to people. Certainly, beating them over the head in the tone I posted isn't going to make things better. I'm just aggravated that people have been instructed to do exactly what makes it worse for them and for everyone else in the name of something not even connected to the problem. Hotseat is exactly right. It just demonstrates how little we've progressed past the damn Middle Ages in some respects.

It's okay. This is a safe place to vent.

I've just recently become aware that my situation of having the same family doctor for over 20 years, who I really trust, and who I can just call and ask about things that I'm confused and uncertain about is unusual. I now know several people who have had so many shitty experiences with doctors, that they feel like they can't trust them or the medical profession in general.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtagge, Smeagol

More
30 Mar 2021 19:28 - 30 Mar 2021 19:34 #321462 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus
It’s the deadbeat game. There’s a miniscule risk in vaccines, and plenty of parents know that if they drag their feet and complain enough everyone around them will get vaccinated and provide them protection at no charge. It predates Covid. I used to deal with it with mothers in my old neighborhood. One of them was pissed when she found out other parents were doing the same thing she was and our elementary school was falling below minimum guidelines. She was honestly pissed off that her kids might have to get standard childhood vaccines because everyone else in the school wasn’t getting vaccinated.

Now it’s just writ-large, with more reasons involving self-identity in the mix. Plenty of people out there thinking, “if I wait until September I’ll be good, it won’t be around anymore. My problem is solved.”

Deadbeats.

My boss just brought home Covid from her kid’s day care. Our high school just notified us of two new infections. It’s still out there, take the shot.
Last edit: 30 Mar 2021 19:34 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Msample, Jackwraith, mtagge

More
30 Mar 2021 22:36 #321472 by ubarose
I’m old enough that I knew people from my parent’s generation that suffered life long effects of polio and measles. I had a brutal case of chicken pox when I was a kid. My mom taped mittens on my hands, but I still have a few scars from it. I can’t imagine a parent not wanting ALL the vaccines for their children.

Zoe will be getting her second dose in a week and I think I will probably be able to breathe again once that happens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
31 Mar 2021 07:19 #321479 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic Coronavirus
I got my second shot last night. It's a huge weight off that has been omnipresent for so long now. My wife gets hers next week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, RobertB, hotseatgames, sornars

More
31 Mar 2021 10:10 #321491 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
In hindsight, I was still feeling a little under the weather for two days after getting the first vaccination. I can tell now, because by Monday night I started feeling a lot more energetic, just in time to help a couple of (masked) friends load a truck with firewood for a homeless camp. Today, I feel better than I have in about a year. I think that means one of two things. Either I was an asymptomatic case with mild long-term fatigue, or more likely, a low-grade constant fear of the virus and the irresponsibility of so many of my fellow Americans has been exhausting. Either way, this first vaccination already has me feeling good. I look forward to getting my second dose on April 17th, even though I will probably feel worse for a couple of days after.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb, sornars

More
31 Mar 2021 10:41 #321492 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus
Hearing about personal friends family refusing vaccination is heartbreaking and maddening. My spouse's ~90s grandmother is refusing it bc of misinformation in her politics.

More
31 Mar 2021 10:59 #321493 by ubarose

Gary Sax wrote: Hearing about personal friends family refusing vaccination is heartbreaking and maddening. My spouse's ~90s grandmother is refusing it bc of misinformation in her politics.

This is what I have trouble understanding - people trusting politicians/the media/that friend that barely passed bio in high school, but not trusting their doctor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax

More
31 Mar 2021 11:06 #321494 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Coronavirus
Who wants to trust all of these coastal elites?

More
31 Mar 2021 11:17 #321497 by blatz
Replied by blatz on topic Coronavirus
I got lucky and snagged a last minute appointment at my local pharmacy for the Johnson & Johnson vaccine on Sunday afternoon. Felt like complete garbage all day Monday but woke up yesterday feeling amazing. I do think a lot of it is psychological. Subsiding fear mixed with the excitement of getting to hang out with friends and family again sometime soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.405 seconds