October 09, 2023
2610 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2809 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
23 Mar 2021 16:36 #321099 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Coronavirus

Gary Sax wrote:

cdennett wrote: Sure, losing your sense of smell is not a huge cost, but possibly for the rest of your life? That sounds pretty awful.

This is actually a great example. Turns out losing your sense of smell and taste have enormous mental and emotional implications, skyrocketing your chance of suicide and a bunch of other stuff: www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-nw...r4et2iwim-story.html

Imagine if you’re a chef and you lose your smell/taste. Ugh.

www.wsj.com/articles/a-chef-who-cant-sme...ions-11616426304#_=_
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2021 16:38 #321100 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus
Sorry switched links on you btw, the NYT looks like it was the basis of that Tribune story.

And yeah, fuck man, if that was your livelihood?

More
23 Mar 2021 16:47 #321103 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Coronavirus

Gary Sax wrote: Sorry switched links on you btw, the NYT looks like it was the basis of that Tribune story.

And yeah, fuck man, if that was your livelihood?

As if the entire industry getting fucked over by the pandemic and relative lack of government help, your restaurant somehow survives but you can't taste what you're serving....WTF.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
24 Mar 2021 01:31 #321128 by cdennett
Replied by cdennett on topic Coronavirus
So Texas is opening up shot availability to ALL adults starting next week. Houston Health dept. had 13k shots at the start of the week, and apparently they're struggling to find arms to stick all those doses into (in 1B and 1C). As I was sayin all last week they just needed to go ahead and open shots for all, this seems to track with my anecdotal experiences, as I'm literally running out of acquaintances that haven't gotten a shot at this point (though, as discussed previously, my social circle is more affluent, motivated, and can travel). Now clearly there are large segments of the population being underserved, but the UK should have proved to the world that you should just get as many shots out there as you can. Once you're out of willing participants, go find the reluctant or disadvantaged folks that got missed. Of course, that's just my opinion.

More
24 Mar 2021 11:37 - 24 Mar 2021 11:38 #321147 by Gary Sax
AZ just did the same. Glad the supply has opened up and it's time to just let everyone have it.

The thing I have noticed most is that all the sites tend to require online reservations, drive-thru stadiums etc which is really advantaging richer people to get this thing. Which I guess was inevitable for the USA, but it would be smart to start doing much more accessible efforts too.
Last edit: 24 Mar 2021 11:38 by Gary Sax.

More
24 Mar 2021 12:26 #321155 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus

Gary Sax wrote: AZ just did the same. Glad the supply has opened up and it's time to just let everyone have it.

The thing I have noticed most is that all the sites tend to require online reservations, drive-thru stadiums etc which is really advantaging richer people to get this thing. Which I guess was inevitable for the USA, but it would be smart to start doing much more accessible efforts too.

Although supply has increased, keeping the vaccine at the correct temperature is still driving requiring appointments. Don't want to bring a bunch of vaccine and have no one show up, or not bring enough. I know that here they tap into community resources like schools and senior centers to get flu shots to people who have less access. Most of our schools have the ability to robocall call all the households that have students in the system, and most of our towns have the ability to robocall all residents with land lines. Maybe once we get over the initial hump, we will start seeing these resources leveraged.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, sornars

More
24 Mar 2021 13:08 #321156 by Gary Sax
Yeah, this is the difference between J+J and the two shot ones. J+J needs nothing special at all IIRC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
24 Mar 2021 15:14 #321171 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Coronavirus
Watch out - the EU is looking to block vaccines produced there being exported to countries with a higher vaccination rate (i.e. you guys).

More
29 Mar 2021 13:34 #321372 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus
I just received an email informing us of the date we will be returning to on-site work. The stupidity of it is that if they pushed that date just 6-8 weeks forward, pretty much everyone in our building will have been vaccinated. Of course, the person making this decision is older, and is now fully vaccinated.

Immediately after receiving that email, I received one that a person who has been working on-site in my building tested positive for COVID on Friday.

More
29 Mar 2021 13:46 #321376 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
I got my first dose of the Pfizer vaccination on Saturday. I drove 7 miles to a local entertainment venue often used for concerts, though I also passed the CPA exam there many years ago. At the door, they made me take off my generic blue/white surgical mask and put on a slightly smaller but otherwise identical blue/white surgical mask. Though there were a couple hundred people present, there was plenty of spacing even in line, so it never felt crowded. After the shot, I was asked to sit down in another area for 15 minutes, and to raise my hand if I felt sick. There was a big screen that showed the time and then would cycle through a minute of public safety announcements, which felt vaguely Orwellian. Yesterday, I felt a little under the weather, especially in the morning, and the injection site is still a little sore today. By contrast, I always feel a little sick for a few days after getting my annual flu shot.

More
29 Mar 2021 15:30 #321379 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus
I received Pfizer a week back, had no effects other than a mildy sore arm. The woman that gave the shot slipped it in as sweet as you please.

My location has indicated on a couple of all-hands calls that they are exceptionally pleased with the remote work, and may continue with it. My boss directly has been warning the team that there is a need to clearly separate our work and home lives and that she doesn't expect more than 40 a week, so clearly she's happy with our output. Other departments haven't been doing as well apparently based on feedback I've heard.

If this becomes a mostly-full time gig from home it will turn out pretty doggone good. But I may be on a whole new project soon, one that promises a lot of complication. Curious to see how that works out.

More
29 Mar 2021 18:22 #321394 by mtagge
Replied by mtagge on topic Coronavirus

Sagrilarus wrote: If this becomes a mostly-full time gig from home it will turn out pretty doggone good. But I may be on a whole new project soon, one that promises a lot of complication. Curious to see how that works out.

Before COVID when someone worked from DC one day a week was allowed to be telework as a norm. I'm hoping that shifts to an acceptance of 2/3 or 3/2 weeks. The effects on traffic would be amazing in the DC area. That still gives some time for face-to-face networking, which is still important for us, proper mentorship, etc.

If there is one positive benefit of this crisis it is that it has pushed my organization about a decade towards the present in terms of technology acceptance in just three months.

More
30 Mar 2021 09:56 - 30 Mar 2021 09:57 #321409 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic Coronavirus
MN has opened up to everyone 16 years and older. I got my first does of Modena through work 3 weeks ago.

My wife asked my 18 year old and her boyfriend if they planned to get the shot. Both of whom are of the standard mindset, for that age group, that covid is not a big deal and won't effect them.

My daughter cited some internet driven conspiracy about the vaccine causing brain damage/stroke. My wife (who is generally opposed to Western medicine and vaccines in general) patiently explained how the rewards outweighed the risk and how we need to think of others and how long term effects of Covid are scary.

Then she offered them $50 to go get the vaccine. They have appointments today....
Last edit: 30 Mar 2021 09:57 by edulis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, jeb, ChristopherMD, hotseatgames, Nodens, Ah_Pook

More
30 Mar 2021 10:03 #321410 by Gary Sax
Money talks, bless her.

More
30 Mar 2021 10:08 #321413 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic Coronavirus
Money does indeed talk, I hope more companies offer incentives to get the vaccine. I work in a prison and its crazy how many guards are turning down the vaccine, which it literally being brought to them at work.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.351 seconds