October 09, 2023
2560 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2761 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
05 Jul 2020 01:04 #311689 by charlest
Favorite episode was the Aubrey Plaza one, she's a trip.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik, jason10mm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2020 14:15 #311717 by Jexik
I had avoided (not consciously, just kind of didn't watch) the hot ones until I read this post that Aubrey Plaza did it.

It did not disappoint. Went on to watch Idris Elba and some comedians sit in the hot seat as well. It's definitely a neat format.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
06 Jul 2020 15:31 #311725 by Shellhead
Prompted by comments here, I gave Hot Ones a try. Maisie Williams and Margot Robbie were a hoot, and Gordon Ramsey was even more obnoxious than I expected. Pete Davidson was disappointing. Not bad, just less interesting than I expected. I look forward to seeing the Aubrey Plaza episode.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
06 Jul 2020 18:19 #311730 by jason10mm
Does it have you buying hot sauces yet? Now I'm on the hunt for "Da Bomb" :p

More
06 Jul 2020 18:58 #311731 by dysjunct
I think the host for Hot Ones is actually really good. He lets the focus be on the guest, not on him mugging for the camera. Laid back but still asks good questions that draws out interesting answers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
06 Jul 2020 21:39 #311733 by DarthJoJo
Have really enjoyed the first three episodes of Toast of London. Matt Berry was easily my least favorite part of IT Crowd, but his character here is about 20% less bombastic and 50% more self aware and so much more tolerable. It feels like it could have been directed by Edgar Wright in the execution of jokes on the visual and script level. The second episode in particular has some brilliant physical comedy.

And Community still holds up. I’ve been skipping around to favorite episodes and just enjoying them. Stray thoughts: the Jeff/Annie plots are never great as the writers refused to ever commit to the relationship one way or the other, Yvette Nicole Brown has great line reads but was done dirty by the writers who had no idea what to do with her character and a fun game in season three is guessing if Chevy Chase could put in less effort in any given episode.

Accounting for Lawyers, Mixology Certification and Early 21st Century Romanticism are tops.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, OhBollox

More
06 Jul 2020 23:02 #311736 by Jexik

jason10mm wrote: Does it have you buying hot sauces yet? Now I'm on the hunt for "Da Bomb" :p

After Charlize Theron, that's one I'm not looking for, haha.

More
06 Jul 2020 23:18 #311737 by OhBollox

DarthJoJo wrote: Have really enjoyed the first three episodes of Toast of London. Matt Berry was easily my least favorite part of IT Crowd, but his character here is about 20% less bombastic and 50% more self aware and so much more tolerable. It feels like it could have been directed by Edgar Wright in the execution of jokes on the visual and script level. The second episode in particular has some brilliant physical comedy.

Check out Year of the Rabbit if you haven't.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
07 Jul 2020 05:12 #311741 by mezike
Have to say that I didn't enjoy Year of the Rabbit. I was put off by how puerile it is with a litany of f-bombs right out of the gate for no reason, and many of the jokes are literally punch-lined with nothing more than profanity. I ditched after the first episode so no idea if it changes tempo later on. Rotten Tomatoes has it at 94% and it's been renewed for a second season, so it has fans and what do I know?

Second season of Toast is where it really hit the mark for me, but you do need to watch the first in order to get familiar with the characters; if you're enjoying it all the same then it's just going to get better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
07 Jul 2020 06:14 #311742 by OhBollox
The Great. Prussian Catherine gets married to Peter III of Russia and finds herself adrift in a backwards court, the centre of a massively underdeveloped nation. with a spoilt idiot for a husband and the bitchy intrigues and frivolities to entertain. Intelligent and intellectually adventurous, she wishes to change things. Much like The Favourite, it's a fictional filling-in of a historical setting, and while some of the characterisations are too broad, the acting is very good, and it's very funny.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, mezike

More
09 Jul 2020 19:01 #311832 by hotseatgames
Finished season 3 of Dark. What an amazing show, with a confounding plot that takes a lot of attention to digest. I watched it all in German with English subtitles. This surely added to the complexity, but I think it was worth it.

Highly recommended, probably the best time travel entertainment I've ever seen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
10 Jul 2020 16:01 #311874 by dysjunct
Finished season one of AVATAR with the spawn. I never watched this when it originally aired and then when the movie came out and got panned, I figured it was just another kids' show. But I thoroughly enjoyed this. It addresses some pretty heavy subjects -- war, refugees, genocide, etc. -- but always in an age-appropriate way. Great characters; the "bad guys" are some of the most sympathetic villains I've ever seen in a cartoon. Plus as a martial arts nerd it's fun to see the various moves used in the bending scenes. Ba gua for the win.

Almost done with SEIS MANOS, which I started on a whim. A Netflix original; kind of anime, plus high-pathos narcodrama, plus kung fu revenge plot, plus weird horror. Very entertaining. It's rated MA-17 for "language, violence, gore, and smoking." The gore is about FIST OF THE NORTH STAR levels, but hide your eyes when the bad guy lights up a cigar!

Started WARRIOR NUN which is kind of whatever. A fine show to have on in the background while mindlessly browsing Twitter or Reddit. The wife likes it though.

More
10 Jul 2020 17:55 #311882 by RobertB

dysjunct wrote: Finished season one of AVATAR with the spawn. I never watched this when it originally aired and then when the movie came out and got panned, I figured it was just another kids' show. But I thoroughly enjoyed this. It addresses some pretty heavy subjects -- war, refugees, genocide, etc. -- but always in an age-appropriate way. Great characters; the "bad guys" are some of the most sympathetic villains I've ever seen in a cartoon. Plus as a martial arts nerd it's fun to see the various moves used in the bending scenes. Ba gua for the win.

You're in for a treat then. S2 is better than S1, and S3 is even better. Screwing up the live-action version of that was a crime.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct, Nodens

More
10 Jul 2020 23:18 #311898 by Gary Sax
Thanks for the chatter on Dark. Watched the first episode last night. Felt like sort of a grimdark Twin Peaks/Stranger things mixup.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
10 Jul 2020 23:23 - 10 Jul 2020 23:25 #311899 by Sagrilarus

dysjunct wrote: Started WARRIOR NUN which is kind of whatever. A fine show to have on in the background while mindlessly browsing Twitter or Reddit. The wife likes it though.

I gave this a shot when I saw you were watching it, and I couldn't get through the first five minutes of gun violence. I just can't deal with shows about big guns anymore, and this show led with them bigly. I hate the noise, I hate the attitude, I hate the lazy writing that comes with it. I had hoped for somewhat of a period piece.
Last edit: 10 Jul 2020 23:25 by Sagrilarus.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.760 seconds