October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
07 Aug 2020 20:33 #312894 by dysjunct
If you are worried about the Avatar overshadowing the rest of the characters in a game, just set it during the hundred-year period where Aang is in the iceberg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2020 12:12 #313132 by OhBollox
Star Trek: Lower Decks. Actually, genuinely funny, and does things that you wouldn't think they're allowed to do with the IP. As such, the best jokes contain an element of surprise at the transgression, which may not be there for those unfamiliar with Star Trek. I got tired of the various seriesies long ago, but this is fresh and interesting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, ChristopherMD, BillyBobThwarton

More
14 Aug 2020 19:23 #313143 by ChristopherMD
Agents of SHIELD - This show had a rough start but later had some good seasons. The final season was one of them.
Warning: Spoiler!

More
14 Aug 2020 20:17 #313144 by mtagge

OhBollox wrote: Star Trek: Lower Decks. Actually, genuinely funny, and does things that you wouldn't think they're allowed to do with the IP. As such, the best jokes contain an element of surprise at the transgression, which may not be there for those unfamiliar with Star Trek. I got tired of the various seriesies long ago, but this is fresh and interesting.

Call me a trek purist, but I hated the first episode. To me trek represents the best values of humanity. The captain was selfish and self absorbed, chief science officer as well. Security chief was too interested in posing. The captain's daughter was disrespectful, intentionally disruptive, showing cleavage, and lying the whole time. There was also a scene where she had the holodeck run a program with a male nude gym, which I guess is ok since the objectification of a sex is targeting males.

I could have been onboard if they ditched the Trek setting and charted their own way a la Orville. For me it was a swing and a miss.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, ChristopherMD

More
14 Aug 2020 21:21 #313145 by Sagrilarus
I’ve always thought Star Trek needed some sand in its gears. Where do you find this show?

More
14 Aug 2020 22:10 - 14 Aug 2020 22:10 #313146 by Disgustipater
Where all the new Star Trek is: CBS's streaming service, CBS All Access.
Last edit: 14 Aug 2020 22:10 by Disgustipater.

More
16 Aug 2020 15:19 #313157 by Shellhead
I wasn't initially interested in the new Perry Mason show on HBO, partly because the original tv show was before time, so the very name seemed quaint and irrelevant. I had a vague, dim awareness as I was growing up that Perry Mason was a lawyer with a gimmick for introducing surprise witnesses and evidence in court. As a show of its time, I assume that Perry Mason wrapped up every story in a single episode, probably winning every case.

Then I saw a couple of ads for the new Perry Mason on HBO, and it looked better than I was expecting, and the era was moved to the early '30s, very near to the 1920s that I enjoy. So I decided that maybe Perry Mason would be a good warm-up act for the upcoming Lovecraft Country that I expect to make a major cultural impact on 2020.

The first episode of Perry Mason started out lively, with a crime in process. But the overall tone was depressing, with the title character working as a sleazy private eye and taking a beating while attempting to commit blackmail. Everything seems bleak and sordid, though the quality of the show was evident. I kept meaning to get around to the second episode, but was never quite in the mood for another round with the Great Depression.

I had some physically-demanding yardwork lined up for the weekend, so I decided to binge my way through the rest of Perry Mason if the second episode was good. It wasn't good, it was great. And this is a show that works well as a binge. There is a complex murder case, corruption, adultry, kidnapping, and a strange Christian evangelist that I could tell was based directly on historical figure Aimee Semple McPherson.

There are some great actors on Perry Mason, though I only recognized a few of them. The sparring between the lawyers played by John Lithgow and Stephen Root was very entertaining, with both actors delivering their finest performances. Lily Taylor also plays a key role, though I had trouble recognizing her at first because I recently saw her first major performance in Mystic Pizza, which was 32 years ago.

I was puzzled that Perry is a private investigator, and chalked that up to my unfamiliarity with the old show, but this show eventually addresses that discrepancy. There is a decent amount of action to balance the slower, more introspective scenes, and the courtroom scenes are sometimes riveting. The portrayal of Los Angeles in 1932 was convincing, right down to the racist details that didn't make the history books when I was in school. The courtroom scenes also seemed very legit, and I loved it when a minor character pointed out that nobody ever confesses on the witness stand.

If you like legal drama, hardboiled detective stories, and film noir, you will very likely enjoy this show. I expect that there will be another season of Perry Mason on HBO next year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, RobertB, mezike, Nodens, BillyBobThwarton

More
16 Aug 2020 16:03 #313158 by charlest
I really enjoyed Perry Mason. I'm a big Matthew Rhys fan (loved him on The Americans), and he carries the show very well.

The atmosphere and aesthetic remind me of Seven or True Detective to a degree, although it's not as good as either of course. Still, thoroughly enjoyed it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
16 Aug 2020 18:02 #313159 by jason10mm
Anyone watching Lovecraft Country? I enjoyed the book though it was a bit aimless and more "Bradbury Country" than Lovecraft IMHO. Curious if they lean more in or out of the racial angle (I suspect more given Peeles involvement) of the book because I think the characters and stories could work either way (with one large exception).

More
16 Aug 2020 19:30 #313160 by Shellhead
I plan to watch Lovecraft Country. I am cautiously optimistic, because I really enjoyed the book but even the brief trailers indicate that the show is not going to follow the book much. In the book, I found the racist scenes even more intense than the occult stuff, so I suspect that the show could end up being a major cultural phenomenon. Or maybe HBO isn't a big enough venue, so Lovecraft Country will only have about the same impact as Watchmen.

More
16 Aug 2020 22:37 #313165 by hotseatgames
I enjoyed the debut of Lovecraft Country. Great acting, great effects and action. I'm looking forward to more.

I was surprised that

More
17 Aug 2020 02:31 #313168 by Michael Barnes
I’m watching it right now, about ten minutes in. I am absolutely here for a show that starts off with

was pretty neat too.

More
17 Aug 2020 07:18 #313172 by jason10mm
Huh, was DJ topless? Cause if anyone could accurately depict the wholesome innocence of 1920's ERB it's HBO :p

And HBO certainly has global reach. Sopranos and GOT proved that. But I seriously doubt LC will have anywhere near that kinda reach.

LC is a weekly drop, right?

More
17 Aug 2020 10:43 #313182 by OhBollox
Enjoyed that first episode. I wonder if they're going to take the book's disparate stories and thread them all together around the same protagonists, or if they're going to do more of an ensemble cast job.

More
17 Aug 2020 16:56 #313190 by Shellhead

OhBollox wrote: Enjoyed that first episode. I wonder if they're going to take the book's disparate stories and thread them all together around the same protagonists, or if they're going to do more of an ensemble cast job.

The protagonists in the individual stories in the book were all family, or friends or neighbors of the family. I am hoping that that the show takes the same approach, but I suspect that they will instead go with one or two major characters having all these adventures and then reduce the others to supporting roles.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.830 seconds