October 09, 2023
2523 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2724 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
19 Sep 2022 09:13 #335642 by dream spawn
I just backed the most recent 2 PnP projects from Small Box Games (Copperdale and Compass Archives).

Also, I am currently a backer for the Dragonbane RPG that ends in a few days. I had never heard of it before the Kickstarter, but it peaked my interest enough to gamble $40 on it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2022 12:22 - 18 Oct 2022 12:23 #336243 by Dr. Mabuse
Kevin Wilson's Escape From New York is up on Gamefound , but not sure if his name alone is enough to buy. There isn't a gameplay or rules video either. Probably wait until retail.
Last edit: 18 Oct 2022 12:23 by Dr. Mabuse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, hotseatgames

More
18 Oct 2022 14:26 #336245 by Msample

Dr. Mabuse wrote: Kevin Wilson's Escape From New York is up on Gamefound , but not sure if his name alone is enough to buy. There isn't a gameplay or rules video either. Probably wait until retail.

60 minute playtime seems a bit thin/light to me.

More
18 Oct 2022 14:39 #336246 by Ah_Pook
People that drop this kind of money on an ip and miniature renders are completely insane imo. But like look at how much money the Stellaris Kickstarter made... It obviously works it just seems idiotic to me though.

More
18 Oct 2022 14:55 - 18 Oct 2022 14:56 #336248 by Gary Sax
The spirit island expansion is on backer kit. Some of the ideas in it look interesting, like a physical manifestation of your spirit which the game has avoided thus far. Fairly expensive though, 55 bucks, 90 if you want non-cardboard tokens. I'll probably go in for it but I've played Spirit Island like 125+ times so take that with a grain of salt.

www.backerkit.com/c/greater-than-games/s...and-nature-Incarnate
Last edit: 18 Oct 2022 14:56 by Gary Sax.

More
18 Oct 2022 16:28 #336254 by Legomancer

Ah_Pook wrote: People that drop this kind of money on an ip and miniature renders are completely insane imo. But like look at how much money the Stellaris Kickstarter made... It obviously works it just seems idiotic to me though.

UM HELLO DO YOU HAVE ANOTHER WAY FOR ME TO GET MINIS OF ERNEST BORGNINE AND HARRY DEAN STANTON???? NO???? THEN SHUTS UP
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Msample, n815e

More
18 Oct 2022 16:49 #336255 by Michael Barnes
Alien: Fate of the Nostromo has HDS and I believe that Borgnine is in Cthulhu Wars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Legomancer, drewcula

More
18 Oct 2022 16:53 - 18 Oct 2022 16:53 #336256 by charlest
Borgnine is going to be a stretch goal in The Wild Bunch board game.
Last edit: 18 Oct 2022 16:53 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer

More
18 Oct 2022 17:05 #336257 by Jackwraith
I"m a diehard Escape from New York fan. It's from the first part of John Carpenter's career (i.e. the good part) and I'm always a sucker for post-apoc stuff and will never forget that Hauk and Snake's little conversation about special forces units (Black Flag; Texas Thunder) inspired a line in William Gibson's legendary Neuromancer ("Omaha Thunder is down! I repeat: Omaha Thunder is down!") But this sounds a lot like the Big Trouble in Little China game (another John Carpenter film, which kind of initiated the bad part of his career), which was a beautiful production (brilliant minis) but tried too hard to squeeze the film into a workable game and, after a couple plays, just became more trouble to set up and navigate through than it was worth. So, I dunno. I love the idea, but just looking at the endless array of cards and stuff (a hallmark of Kevin Wilson productions if there ever was one), I'm not getting a good feeling off of this. ("You don't wanna be out in this neighborhood at this time a'night, Snake!")

More
18 Oct 2022 17:06 #336258 by Msample

Legomancer wrote:

Ah_Pook wrote: People that drop this kind of money on an ip and miniature renders are completely insane imo. But like look at how much money the Stellaris Kickstarter made... It obviously works it just seems idiotic to me though.

UM HELLO DO YOU HAVE ANOTHER WAY FOR ME TO GET MINIS OF ERNEST BORGNINE AND HARRY DEAN STANTON???? NO???? THEN SHUTS UP

I was hoping for a stretch goal mini of the Duke’s Cadillac with chandeliers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Jackwraith

More
19 Oct 2022 08:01 #336268 by Legomancer

charlest wrote: Borgnine is going to be a stretch goal in The Wild Bunch board game.

Holding out for the Marty Roll and Write

More
19 Oct 2022 14:08 #336281 by Joebot

To that end ... have you seen how much money the Brandon Sanderson miniatures Kickstarter has made so far? $4 million and counting!

www.kickstarter.com/projects/brotherwise...=brandon%20sanderson

And that's on top of the FORTY million Sanderson made earlier this year hawking some books he pounded out during quarantine. I don't like his books at all, but the dude knows how to hustle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, Ah_Pook, n815e

More
19 Oct 2022 14:44 #336282 by n815e
If he can do it and feels confident enough to pull it off, awesome for him!

So many real grifters out there, they take money and give nothing anyone wants in return.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct

More
19 Oct 2022 15:41 #336285 by Ah_Pook

Joebot wrote:

To that end ... have you seen how much money the Brandon Sanderson miniatures Kickstarter has made so far? $4 million and counting!

www.kickstarter.com/projects/brotherwise...=brandon%20sanderson

And that's on top of the FORTY million Sanderson made earlier this year hawking some books he pounded out during quarantine. I don't like his books at all, but the dude knows how to hustle.

Cut out the middle man and don't even pretend to design a mediocre game to go with your minis Kickstarter, I like it. Feels more honest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
19 Oct 2022 15:48 #336286 by southernman
Ended up not cancelling my Tainted Grail: Kings of Ruin pledge, the original Tainted Grail is a brilliant set of games and even they seem to have run out of steam with this IP of theirs (only one campaign, with a few extra side-stories, compared to three and a half in the original) it will still be a brilliant game ... and I haven't backed anything for probably a couple of years :) ... also haven't played most of the ones that have arrived in the last year :whistle:

Looking at Escape from New York, it doesn't seem over-priced (I likely won't go for the minis add-on) but unsure on the actual gameplay reading a quick rules breakdown, will need to read the rulebook first and watch a play-thru. But it may just be a get it in retail option, if at all, as I'm not invested in the film and have more interesting games on my shelves.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.379 seconds