October 09, 2023
2656 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2841 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
10 Aug 2022 10:42 #334926 by ubarose
The sagas can be played as a 6 game campaign, or just as extra content in a one-off game. The sage content adds related content to the game in the form of thematic encounters and related upgrades. The primary difference between playing it as a campaign vs a one-off is that in a campaign you keep your upgrades and more saga content is added.

The base game is a complete game and provides the full experience. The sagas are just more stuff and variety (fight a kraken instead of fighting a ship; slightly different card upgrades related to fighting the kraken instead of fighting a ship). So the sagas are not really necessary unless you think you will play the game a lot and want to change it up a bit.

The game is essentially a pick-up and deliver deck builder. To buy cards, you need to move to a space and buy the card. To get the stuff you need to buy a card you need to control an island and pick up the resources it produces or attack another ship (player or encounter). Some of your actions, like making an island produce , attacking another player or placing control markers on an island, are limited by your hand of cards. You are able to keep some of your cards from round to round, so you can plan ahead. In addition to upgrading your deck, you can also upgrade your ship and your islands.

Although it is a very different game mechanically, it feels a bit like Merchant of Venus in that you are making the same sorts of decisions. Do I move to a spot to pick up goods, or to a spot to make an upgrade? Do I upgrade my ship, or upgrade my island (build a factory)? However, it plays much faster, and you can pretty much always do something interesting every turn (no turns where you just move). It also adds PvP and taking over other players islands (planets) making it harder for them to get goods and gold there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2022 10:52 #334927 by ubarose
Also, the Kickstarter hints that game will be release to retail, as one of the benefits listed is that the Kickstarter price is lower than retail and it will ship to backers before it is shipped to retail.

More
10 Aug 2022 19:57 #334952 by hotseatgames
I pledged for the base game of Dead Reckoning. I've got 9 days to cancel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
11 Aug 2022 10:12 #334956 by Rliyen

ubarose wrote: Also, the Kickstarter hints that game will be release to retail, as one of the benefits listed is that the Kickstarter price is lower than retail and it will ship to backers before it is shipped to retail.

I'll believe that when I see it. I started seeing the 3rd Edition of Mutant Chronicles in retail even before I got my order. After that, I am very selective on what to back.

More
11 Aug 2022 10:45 #334958 by hotseatgames
The Kickstarter FAQ is not terribly comforting as far as a retail release goes.

Retail options for Dead Reckoning are being considered but we don’t have announced plans at this time beyond our Alpha Store program (see below)

The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen

More
11 Aug 2022 12:24 #334960 by ubarose

hotseatgames wrote: I pledged for the base game of Dead Reckoning. I've got 9 days to cancel.

If you do get it, the one add on I recommend is the custom sleeves. They are color coded so set up and clean up is much faster. The sleeves that come with the game are all identical to each other, so you have to pay attention to creating accurate starting decks when you set up. You have to do that in most deck builders, but having an easy way to keep starting decks separated and intact is nice. And you need to use the sleeves. If you have watched the videos you know that card upgrades slide into the sleeves. It’s stupid that the “custom” sleeves aren’t in the base game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
11 Aug 2022 13:49 #334962 by hotseatgames
Other than color, are the add-on sleeves different quality-wise? Seems like I could just color the sleeves in the base game. I'm not above that. :D

More
12 Aug 2022 10:06 - 12 Aug 2022 10:07 #334984 by ubarose

hotseatgames wrote: Other than color, are the add-on sleeves different quality-wise? Seems like I could just color the sleeves in the base game. I'm not above that. :D

Or you can just take the extra minute or two to sort out the starter decks, like you have to do in most other deck builders.

I think the quantity is the same, but I have never examined or played with the standard sleeves. We have been playing a friend’s copy, so I just saw the standard sleeves once when helping clean up the game the first time we played.

Also, complete disclosure - in our game group, two of us like it very much, and two are on the fence about it. The game is more tactical than strategic, and you can get boned by a bad draw or bad die roll.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2022 10:07 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
12 Aug 2022 10:20 #334985 by hotseatgames
I prefer tactics to strategy. Looks to me like you don't even have dice unless you use the sagas. Which I was not planning on purchasing. I don't know, it's a question of, will I get $95 of fun out of this?
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
12 Aug 2022 11:03 #334987 by Disgustipater
Thunder Road: Vendetta fulfillment slipped from November to January. I was expecting and waiting for a delay to be announced. They attribute it mainly to getting a consolidated rulebook together for the all-in edition, which I don’t really mind. Having a single book instead of looking through 4 different books is worth a two month delay to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
12 Aug 2022 14:30 - 12 Aug 2022 14:39 #334994 by ubarose

hotseatgames wrote: I prefer tactics to strategy. Looks to me like you don't even have dice unless you use the sagas. Which I was not planning on purchasing. I don't know, it's a question of, will I get $95 of fun out of this?

I’d say, if you are expecting an iteration of Merchants and Marauders, then no. This is not it. When you get right down to it, this game has all the window dressing of a pirate game, but it isn’t very piratey. It’s more like Merchants and More Merchants.

If your looking for another iteration of Merchant of Venus, then probably yes. And I backed it at Deck Hand Level, cause I love me some Merchant of Venus.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2022 14:39 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jpat, sornars, the_jake_1973

More
12 Aug 2022 16:23 #334998 by hotseatgames
I am a bit embarrassed to say I have never played Merchants and Marauders, OR Merchant of Venus.

I do like the idea of a pick up and deliver game, and being able to attack players is of course a must. The combat looks fun. I believe I will purchase the base box and if it's a hit I'll seek out other parts. I laugh in the face of FOMO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
13 Aug 2022 12:03 #335000 by the_jake_1973

ubarose wrote: I’d say, if you are expecting an iteration of Merchants and Marauders, then no. This is not it. When you get right down to it, this game has all the window dressing of a pirate game, but it isn’t very piratey. It’s more like Merchants and More Merchants.

This was exactly what I needed to know. The dice tower combat has me wondering if I could create a similar combat resolution in M & M. I love dice tower combat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax

More
13 Aug 2022 21:31 #335009 by Virabhadra
Spikey Bits seems to think that GW is pivoting to Kickstarter:

spikeybits.com/2022/08/looks-like-gw-is-...company-sort-of.html

Seems like a stretch, who knows?

More
13 Aug 2022 23:26 #335010 by dysjunct
So here’s a nightmare story of someone who was dissatisfied with Kickstarter and tried to use Gamefound:

Kickstarter has a lot of issues that justify concern. But from a business standpoint, “hey, we’re not Kickstarter!” shouldn’t be sufficient.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.347 seconds