October 09, 2023
2553 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2752 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
17 Oct 2023 16:33 - 17 Oct 2023 18:03 #340791 by Virabhadra

Think I finally got images working. Asking Santa for an airbrush this year...
Last edit: 17 Oct 2023 18:03 by Virabhadra.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2023 19:12 #340792 by hotseatgames
Do you get some kind of mini paint booth setup for an air brush?

More
17 Oct 2023 20:39 #340793 by Disgustipater
Generally yes. I made one out of foam core that I hook up a duct fan to vent out the window.

The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, hotseatgames, sornars, Virabhadra

More
18 Oct 2023 12:37 #340795 by Virabhadra
I imagined myself in the bathtub in my undwear with a gas mask on, like Walter White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, cycloneVB

More
18 Oct 2023 18:27 - 18 Oct 2023 18:28 #340800 by birdman37

blatz wrote: Also got my X-Men (and Spidey) done.

X-Men

Amazing job! Now, let's see if we can get this working...

Last edit: 18 Oct 2023 18:28 by birdman37.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, sornars, Virabhadra

More
23 Oct 2023 10:31 #340824 by blatz
Replied by blatz on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
Thanks guys! These minis are a blast to paint. Minimal color palettes, just enough detail to be interesting to paint without being over-designed, and the slightly larger scale helps when trying to paint detail onto the faces. Even just being able to play around with brighter colors is a nice change from the usual grim dark stuff. This game looks so good on the table!

I got an airbrush for Christmas last year and was a little afraid of it for a few months until I finally got it going. It's been a GODSEND for painting terrain and for putting smooth base coats on with tough colors like yellow and white. Also, with a couple pieces of making tape, it's super easy to add stripes and things to vehicles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, Virabhadra

More
29 Oct 2023 14:45 - 29 Oct 2023 15:00 #340882 by Virabhadra
Double post
Last edit: 29 Oct 2023 15:00 by Virabhadra.

More
29 Oct 2023 14:46 - 29 Oct 2023 14:50 #340883 by Virabhadra
In the four years since Warcry released, Games Workshop has teased us with about two new Chaos Dwarf models and (unsurprisingly) has yet to produce full rules for Dawi-Zharr warbands. I have finally gotten around to breaking it down on my own. I’ve attempted to incorporate as many of the units available to the Chaos Dwarfs / Legion of Azgorh in the AoS rules and lore as possible. I’ve also tried to ensure that all of the units behave the way you expect them to.

Nobody has cracked the code to determining the point cost of a single Warcry fighter, so I knew I’d be looking at a total conversion of a faction that already exists. I considered every Grand Alliance. Order doesn’t have access to the right kind of monsters, Death’s resurrection motif doesn’t fit the Chaos Dwarfs, and the Destruction factions either don’t have the right mix of units (Ironjawz) or the right stats (Gitz.) It makes sense to stay in Chaos, which includes enough Monsters and Thralls that we should be able to find a proxy for most things Azgorh.

The hardest part of deciding which Chaos faction to brand as Dwarfs is finding a good Fireglaive analogue. The only 25mm-base models with a ranged attack in the whole Chaos roster are the Blue Horror, whose ability to split make no sense for dwarves, and the Ungor Raider, whose stats are a poor match (too fast, too frail.) We’ll need to be creative.

It would mean putting the dwarves on larger bases, resizing a few of the other units, and doing extensive conversion work, but after an exhaustive look through the Compendium, I think the best fit for our purpose is the Khorne Bloodbound. I've set up the unit equivalencies and now I'm in the process of converting my troops.

(His boots are worse for wear from changing his base. Touch it up later.)

Then there's Chaos Dwarf Sorceror-Prophet Astragoth Ironhand. His original metal model runs about $200 on eBay, so I dug deep into the bits box...

Pretty cool.

What I have been actually painting is two sets of GW's Goblin Town to get some more platforms onto our battlefields. Oh, sure, I could have done all the wood in a single color...

I've been experimenting with the drybrushing layers and I like how it's looking. Shouldn't be too bad, going back to pick out all the bones once the wood is all highlighted.

Last edit: 29 Oct 2023 14:50 by Virabhadra.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, drewcula, birdman37, sornars, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
06 Nov 2023 21:11 - 06 Nov 2023 21:12 #340953 by birdman37
For my next Blood Bowl league match, I'm missing a few players. Not to worry, Cindy Piewhistle to the rescue!

A Halfling Master Baker, Cindy lobs super-heated baked goods around the pitch. Such is her baking prowess, getting splatted by one of her piping-hot pastries is the equivalent of getting hit with a bomb! :)

Last edit: 06 Nov 2023 21:12 by birdman37.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, sornars, blatz, BillyBobThwarton, Virabhadra, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
18 Dec 2023 13:16 #341331 by blatz
Taking Marvel Crisis protocol to the streets

Daredevil & Punisher
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, sornars, Virabhadra

More
20 Dec 2023 14:56 #341360 by Virabhadra
My partner loves a Seraphon warband called the Hunters of Huanchi, and specifically a model called the Huanchi's Claw, so much that she sketched a t-shirt design.

The meta/competitive list for these guys requires SIX Hunachi's Claws, and naturally they only come one per $60 box. I ended up kitbashing several for her and I think they look pretty slick.

New year, new campaign! Maybe I'll even paint some of these.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, birdman37, sornars

More
21 Dec 2023 08:49 #341363 by hotseatgames
Posting unpainted minis, that's 5 demerits
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, sornars, Virabhadra

More
19 Jan 2024 15:18 #341582 by blatz
Been crushing more Marvel Crisis Protocol minis. Here's everything I've done so far:

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjBbbk5
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, birdman37, sornars, Nodens, Virabhadra

More
01 Feb 2024 08:01 - 01 Feb 2024 08:04 #341683 by Virabhadra

hotseatgames wrote: Posting unpainted minis, that's 5 demerits

That's funny. I'm this guy , so... that's a lot of detention? One of my favorite comments just says "under arrest."

We've been really busy since the holidays - Des got her dream job and we're trying to buy another vehicle - so I haven't been keeping up on boardgames so much. I still clean miniatures on my lunch break at work, but I'm dedicated to laying some color down this year. My kitbashes are becoming too scary for me to paint.

Several years ago, I managed a tea shop at the Ala Moana mall in Honolulu. It's one of the world's largest open-air shopping centers, so I used to see Black Friday writ large every year. One of the funniest things to me would always be the line to Victoria's Secret snaking out to the parking lot, full of shoppers waiting for literally hours to get their hands on a 'free' $20-value vinyl makeup bag.

My version of the Victoria Secret makeup bag is anything that Games Workshop offers as a promo. When I found out, the night before the event, that I could earn some free limited edition Red Gobbo dice at my local GW's Christmas party, I swallowed my pride and put together a Chaos Dwarf choosing the Grinchiest tree on the lot:

Currently, I am doing some objective markers and treasure tokens to replace the original cardboard Warcry bits. It's an opportunity to try out a few Ghurish paint recipes before I move on to the big terrain pieces... I'm not loving the bamboo or gnarloaks, but it's still a Work in Progress.

Last edit: 01 Feb 2024 08:04 by Virabhadra.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, birdman37, sornars

More
19 Feb 2024 06:05 - 19 Feb 2024 23:27 #341811 by birdman37
I backed Trick Shot v2, but decided to save myself 10 euros on the pre-painted miniatures...

One team down, one to go. Oof. Shoulda just spent the money.
Last edit: 19 Feb 2024 23:27 by birdman37.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, sornars, Virabhadra

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.366 seconds