October 09, 2023
2557 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2757 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
02 May 2019 23:59 #296440 by GorillaGrody

Sevej wrote: The thing about edge highlighting is--backed with my "experience" painting over a hundred marines--don't worry if your lines are not sharp. I mean, sure, at close range it will look sloppy. But at normal viewing distance those 1-3 mm non-highlights really help to form the shape of your minis.

Oh, the horror!

Yeah, with space marines it’s unavoidable, which is why I try to avoid space marines.

About to do a bunch of Slaanesh models, and I’m not looking forward to all that edge-highlighted leather.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pug

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2019 00:56 #296441 by Michael Barnes
Goblin Army, photographed right after getting completely whipped by the Gray Elves of Polystyrene...they just couldn’t cross the stream without getting shot up by the Elven Bowmasters. The Ogres wound up splattering into a Wall of Shields and tan away. I thought the Shaman might turn the tide with his Visions of Green Doom spell, which caused the Bowmasters to become battered and flee, but the Elves successfully defended their terrible MDF farmhouses.

imgur.com/gallery/Y51PWDp
The following user(s) said Thank You: GorillaGrody

More
03 May 2019 00:57 #296442 by Michael Barnes
Oh hey, I can post them here...
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, allismom3, Pug, Sevej, birdman37, GorillaGrody

More
03 May 2019 06:38 #296443 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
Wow! You did stellar job with them. Great colors, great basing!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, jur

More
03 May 2019 08:16 #296448 by Michael Barnes
Oh shucks, they don’t look all that good! They were totally speed painted- especially that armored ogre because I hate that figure. The Ogres are all Reaper Bones...three of them are good but that one sucks.

The shields and flags are these neat transfers I found- they aren’t waterslide, they are more like some kind of thin vinyl sticker. They are made especially for the Oathmark line.

Dwarves are up next- really stoked to be painting some beards.

More
03 May 2019 10:59 - 03 May 2019 11:05 #296461 by Sevej
Yea, of course it's not NMM and not all that smooth, but the contrast, unified scheme as army, and those bases... The thing about army building is, sometimes people paint very well, but only single figures, or barebones basing.

Fully painted army, with proper basing always looks great.

I'm totally bugged with the figure count though. 2, 3, 4, 6 are ok... but 10 for 12 hit points units would drive me crazy.
Last edit: 03 May 2019 11:05 by Sevej.

More
03 May 2019 11:10 #296463 by Michael Barnes
Ha ha, yeah me too. I’ve used D12s for strength and then start taking figures once they get below 10.

The Oathmark boxes are 30- so 10 Spears, 10 bows, 10 HW/S. I thought about doing 12, 12, and 6 but the Oathmark rules are going to be for 5 across formations from what I understand.

More
09 May 2019 10:32 #296856 by Michael Barnes
Haven’t done the Spears or champions yet, but the Dwarves of the Hearthhome Hills are moving along. The dragon is rebased Heroscape. I originally had their monster as an Owlbear, but she moved over to The Human League, where I’m going to have a Beastmaster lady capable of commanding a Dire Wolf, Gryphon, or Owlbear depending on what she rolls for a summoning check.
Attachments:

More
09 May 2019 13:50 #296869 by GorillaGrody

Michael Barnes wrote: Haven’t done the Spears or champions yet, but the Dwarves of the Hearthhome Hills are moving along. The dragon is rebased Heroscape. I originally had their monster as an Owlbear, but she moved over to The Human League, where I’m going to have a Beastmaster lady capable of commanding a Dire Wolf, Gryphon, or Owlbear depending on what she rolls for a summoning check.

I've been going through the rules and translating them into card form in order to keep everything tidy, and the one of the few things about this game I really don't get are the Summoning rules. It costs three points to NOT field your armies and possibly have the chance to field them later. Seems costly, and an overreaction against gotcha shenanigans on the part of the author.

It sounds like maybe you're doing a different system for Summoning, though?

More
09 May 2019 16:30 #296878 by Michael Barnes
We ought to compare notes, I’m also making unit cards and such.

I haven’t played with summoning yet but I am thinking it will be the the 3 point summoner trait tax and then the cost of the summoned unit. The Beastmaster will have a 1-2 Direwolf, 3-4 Owlbear, 5-6 Gryphon, all using a lesser Warbeast profile. Beastmaster herself is a Scout.

For the Vampires of Black Imperial Blood, their honcho is a Summoner (Necromancer)- skeletons. They start with just the Necromancer, a Were-Bat dude, and 5x Vampire Knights.

More
09 May 2019 19:30 #296881 by GorillaGrody

Michael Barnes wrote: We ought to compare notes, I’m also making unit cards and such.

Here’s a sample of what I’ve whipped up, including a possible solution to Summoning.

I don’t see a way to send PDFs through TWBG. Pm me, and we can figure it out.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

More
09 May 2019 21:51 #296886 by Sevej
I still need to print some flags, but here's a very basic army inspired by Witcher's Temeria.

Temerian Nobles - Elite Riders
Vizima Sergeants - Heavy Foot
Vizima Levy - Light Foot
Maribor Levy - Light Foot
Landsknecht Pikemen - Heavy Foot
Landsknecht Crossbowmen - Heavy Missile
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Gary Sax, Brewmiester, Pug, birdman37, blatz, GorillaGrody

More
11 May 2019 11:37 - 11 May 2019 11:43 #296924 by GorillaGrody
Put grades to bed, finally finished my fallow Fallout: Wasteland Warfare figures.

Might set up the solo version later today and see if it has any legs. It looks like a neat but fiddly system.

(These miniatures feature certain charms but are decidedly not great. I performed the minimum effort to get them on the table. It was fun revisiting some of these iconic figures, though, and above all it makes me want to pop in one of the video games again.)

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 May 2019 11:43 by GorillaGrody.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, themothman421, Brewmiester, hotseatgames, drewcula, Pug, Sevej, blatz

More
12 May 2019 18:53 #296940 by blatz
Replied by blatz on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
Got a couple more Burrows and Badgers minis painted up yesterday.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Gary Sax, Brewmiester, drewcula, Pug, Sevej, birdman37, GorillaGrody

More
14 May 2019 12:10 - 14 May 2019 13:27 #297008 by GorillaGrody
Well, I finally tried Fallout: WW. I’d been avoiding it because it really looks like a dog’s breakfast of minuscule rules and not-ergonomic token junk.

It’s way, way better than it looks. The problem is, it color- and symbol-codes all the interactions of a normal minis game, and that looks really complicated. Once learned, however, the rules actually become more accessible than “does this figure move 12” or 14” lemme check”? Instead, he moves Red. Everything becomes very fluid in the way of a well-designed (but still complex) Euro game.

The easy-to-read complexity then translates into 1) interesting narrative hooks and 2) fun-to-play solo rules (even when you’re not using the official solo rules, making desicions in the game is fast and fun).

Anyway, here’s pics from my trial run, in which we pissed off and starved out a few Super Mutants and saved Dogmeat, who promptly won the game by charging a Super Mutant and stopping him from his goal.

I may do a more complete review of this later on the Batrep.
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 May 2019 13:27 by GorillaGrody.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Brewmiester, hotseatgames, Pug, blatz

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.977 seconds