October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2743 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
23 Dec 2020 20:15 #317484 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus
You need a proper Maul sir. It will make you feel powerful and manly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtagge

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2020 20:51 #317500 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Coronavirus
Growing up, my family was friends with another family that lived nearby. We did a LOT of stuff together, including joint family vacations. We grew apart over the years and I haven't seen any of them in a long time.

Tonight I heard that the father in that family, age 76, died of Covid today. He had been hit by it pretty hard, so it was not entirely unexpected.

That is two people I know personally, so far. I wonder how high the count will get.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
02 Jan 2021 13:33 #317643 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus
My parents just signed up to get vaccinated. A vaccination van is being sent to their community center and their “retired nurses club” has volunteered to assist in administering the vaccinations. I am so relieved and glad they live in an area that is making it easy for them to get vaccinated. Now they just have to wait for the vaccination van to come. They don’t have a date yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Shellhead, jeb, Gary Sax, Msample, hotseatgames

More
02 Jan 2021 16:02 #317646 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus
Love to hear that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb

More
02 Jan 2021 18:56 #317655 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Coronavirus
I saw some numbers the other day that showed vaccinations administered by state. Its all over the place - you'd think they'd all be similar but they are decidedly not. I didn't even do the math; my state ( NH ) was like in the bottom five. Hell at this rate ( or lack thereof ) I'll be lucky to get it by next Christmas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb, Gary Sax

More
04 Jan 2021 10:56 #317686 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Coronavirus
The Trump Administration issued them by state population, so that part is already kind of a mess, prioritization-wise. At least in California, there is a six phase rollout (five Phase 1s LOL), and I'm in Phase 2, healthy middle-aged randos. My wife might be in Phase 1c, "lab staff" but we're not sure yet. We're through Phase 1a and Phase 1b (teachers, grocery/logistics) is underway.

More
04 Jan 2021 11:01 #317687 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Coronavirus
In 16 days we are getting one of those.... what are they called... Presidents.... so perhaps things will improve then.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Jackwraith, Ah_Pook

More
04 Jan 2021 11:03 #317688 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
I was hoping to get vaccinated this spring, and was also hoping that enough people would be vaccinated by next fall that we could get back to normal. But at the current pace of vaccination, it will take six years to vaccinate most of the United States. And realistically, there will be poor people around the world who won't get it, so this virus could continue to mutate and spread for years to come.

More
04 Jan 2021 11:47 #317689 by ubarose
I'm hoping the vaccinations ramp up, like the testing did. CT seems to be doing better than many other states. Maybe because we are smaller? We have partnered with CVS Pharmacy the same way we did for testing, and they seem to be able to mobilize and get the job done. Our Governor also issued an executive order awhile back allowing a wider range of healthcare workers to administer the vaccine, including pharmacists, veterinarians and dental hygienists, and has started training them up, so we should have more manpower to get this done as the supply increases.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
04 Jan 2021 12:33 #317694 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
It makes sense that the pace of vaccinations will step up at some point, especially if the Biden Administration offers more leadership and support to the states. But at this point, I will be surprised if I can get vaccinated before summer. And the best available timeline would involve 5 weeks between first vaccination and likely immunity. So my new anticipated timeline is more like late July for immunity.

More
04 Jan 2021 13:29 - 04 Jan 2021 13:30 #317696 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus
I'll be curious to see how they're planning to account for everyone getting the vaccine. My Ma lives in a Leisure World and the management has already explained their approach, scheduled the visit of a vaccine truck and told people in the community how to schedule an approximate time on vaccine day. This is the management of the Condo complex setting things up, not the state's health service.

My father in law lives by himself in a suburban home and has received no information whatsoever regarding how to proceed. So presumably when his group comes up he's allowed to visit a pharmacy and get it? That's probably the case but there's no information going out describing how he (or we) should proceed. Do you just tell the pharmacist you're 70 years old, or a bartender, or whatever in order to justify why you're there to get a shot?
Last edit: 04 Jan 2021 13:30 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Msample

More
04 Jan 2021 14:20 #317702 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Coronavirus
My company announced today that they're not planning to reopen the office before June/July. I appreciate both the caution and the clarity, but at the same time it feels like my parole hearing just got delayed another six months.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
04 Jan 2021 14:25 #317703 by ubarose

Sagrilarus wrote: I'll be curious to see how they're planning to account for everyone getting the vaccine. My Ma lives in a Leisure World and the management has already explained their approach, scheduled the visit of a vaccine truck and told people in the community how to schedule an approximate time on vaccine day. This is the management of the Condo complex setting things up, not the state's health service.

My father in law lives by himself in a suburban home and has received no information whatsoever regarding how to proceed. So presumably when his group comes up he's allowed to visit a pharmacy and get it? That's probably the case but there's no information going out describing how he (or we) should proceed. Do you just tell the pharmacist you're 70 years old, or a bartender, or whatever in order to justify why you're there to get a shot?

Pharmacies have your birthdate and contact information, so I have been receiving info from my pharmacy. The pharmacies are making money on administering the vaccinations, so are motivated get their customers in. I'm expecting that I will get inundated with texts, emails and flyers the same way I do about flu shots and shingles boosters, and, since the summer, COVID testing, once we are eligible. I suspect that for people in the demographic that has a regular pharmacy and whose contact information stays constant, finding out when and where to get vaccinated won't be difficult. Getting it out to other demographics is going to be more difficult. They have free flu shot clinics in the schools that are in less affluent areas for students and their families, so maybe they will be able to reach more people that way some time this autumn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
04 Jan 2021 14:35 #317705 by ubarose
PS - I just received an email from work saying that they are coordinating with the public health department to determine when we will be vaccinated. But I am a state employee, so my path to vaccination is probably going to be via my work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
04 Jan 2021 15:09 #317706 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Coronavirus
Well back across the pond in the UK we've just gone into full country-wide lockdown for at least a month, this new variant is spreading like wildfire and hospitals are a few weeks from being over-run - thank God there's a vaccine else this could be really get nasty.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.375 seconds