October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
25 Nov 2020 13:24 #316564 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Coronavirus

Gregarius wrote:

Msample wrote:

ubarose wrote: ... and then there are all these bozos packing into airports, and each other's homes for Thanksgiving. Things are going to get so bad in a couple of weeks they will need another color for the maps.

I have had to make three trips out to Detroit from NH over the last several months and drove all three times. Granted, I have the luxury of time that others may not have, but fuck flying.

My sister is a flight attendant, and according to her the planes are much safer than people think. The filters they have that constantly scrub and circulate the air are very effective. Everyone working the flight is tested frequently. It's mainly just a mental thing. Also, the airports have been pretty vacant, so it's easy to maintain safe distance.

I'm certainly not advocating for anyone to fly unless absolutely necessary, but it's not a flying metal tube of 'Rona.

I do agree with Ubarose that two weeks after Thanksgiving is going to be really, really ugly.

Its not so much the plane itself - although wearing a mask for hours on end isn't fun - but everything before and after. Plus airports have a lot of restaurants closed, etc. Friend of mine flew and got stuck in a four hour delay/layover. And like I said, since I am retired now I have the gift of time so driving isnt so bad. I'd rather spend time listening to podcasts in my car then stuck on a plane.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2020 14:05 #316569 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus

Sagrilarus wrote: Word I've gotten is that the planes in flight are safe, but the gate/cabin load-in and load-out are a mess.

The air in airplanes during flight is dry as sin and that can dry out your lungs. The result is that your lungs are more susceptible to infection after the flight for a period of time. This has been a known issue with influenza for years.

So the trick is to get off of that plane and run like hell as fast as you can.

Wearing a mask for the whole flight might mitigate the dry air. My glasses often steam up while I am wearing a mask, due to the warm humid air trapped behind the mask.

More
25 Nov 2020 14:48 - 25 Nov 2020 15:00 #316577 by boothwah
Replied by boothwah on topic Coronavirus

edulis wrote: I know it is pretty small potatoes compared to the very real struggles many are facing, but we have been informed at work that everyone will need to be fitted for N95 masks. I have not been clean shaven since I could grow facial hair and have had a pretty burly beard for decades. Guess Thanksgiving will be a time to see what lies under the beard!

I will lament the loss of your beard with you - Although I had kept mine trimmed and never reached such an impressive plumage as you, good sir, I have worn my beard (with the exception of 2 minor trimming malfunctions that grew back quickly) since I was 25. I'm 47. I shaved last week. Thank goodness it's mask season - My face is freezing!

On the plus side, my wife made hot wings, and let me go to town on some BBQ ribs, 2 foods that were previously relegated to "only while you are eating with your guy friends."
Last edit: 25 Nov 2020 15:00 by boothwah. Reason: grammar
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, edulis

More
25 Nov 2020 15:06 #316578 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus
Ha, yeah, I shaved my beard in August right before class started for the same reason. I'd had one for many years. I'm kind of ok with it, it's good to change it up. I do look like 10+ years younger.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah, edulis

More
28 Nov 2020 01:05 #316654 by Bernie
Replied by Bernie on topic Coronavirus
Don’t know if this will be read in time. But here is something that may save your beard.

Under-mask beard cover (Singh Thattha technique) for donning respirator masks in COVID-19 patient care

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7532752/

"We are offering an innovative solution using an under-mask beard cover called Singh Thattha technique for overcoming the beard factor to enable bearded individuals to wear a respirator mask.

The Singh Thattha technique to wear an FFP3 mask was pioneered in Manchester and was adopted and tested by a large number of bearded British Sikh dentists (25/27) who passed the QFT using certified fit testers. The technique was further tested using robust QNFT in a pilot study and all (5/5) fully bearded men passed the fit test.

The relatively sturdier masks such as 3M 8833, Stealth Half Mask P3, JSP Force 8 P3, and GSV Ellipse Half Mask P3 were best-suited to achieve a competent seal using the Singh Thattha technique.

The beard-cover used (Pilates & Yoga Elastic band) is rubber material. During the fit test the different exercises used test that the silicone mask does not slip over the skin. In fact, the resistance of the rubber and silicone actually improved the fit in these exercises with the beard cover.

Facial skin may sweat, but the Thattha material does not and is of an added advantage. Whereas other determinants of face-fit, such as face architecture and mask shapes, may be irreversible factors governing the outcome of the fit test, the beard factor could be overcome by an under-mask beard cover."
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Sagrilarus

More
28 Nov 2020 01:17 #316655 by Bernie
Replied by Bernie on topic Coronavirus
timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chandig...cleshow/79238956.cms

This is an easier to read article. In case you need more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Sagrilarus

More
28 Nov 2020 18:44 #316662 by mtagge
Replied by mtagge on topic Coronavirus
So I did a trans Pacific flight last week landing in LA and then domestic to Dulles airport. I wouldn't say there was a high chance of infection, both airports were empty. The flight to LA was empty and everyone had their own row to sleep in. No chance of infection since we left China. However the flight to DC was packed full. If we caught anything it was on that flight. No food service on the domestic flight and no places to eat in either airport.

We did a COVID test this Monday awaiting results before we visit the in-laws. Hopefully we will get the results on Monday.

On the plus side I am enjoying my leave. In my job we earn extra leave that we have to spend state-side, but there are restrictions on when we can take it (in between assignments or if you extend in a post you can take it mid-tour since you accrue 1 day/month). They basically came out and told me that if I don't take it NOW, I will forfeit the leave. Fuck that, it was one of the main reasons I will willing to extend in a difficult to live place.

Good news is I'm nearing the end of my game table project. 5 foot by 7 foot with a neoprene pad (4x6) in the center from TableWAR. Cup holders and surgical trays for component slots. Gonna be staining it tomorrow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead, JoelCFC25, Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, hotseatgames, Gregarius

More
10 Dec 2020 11:31 #316991 by Gary Sax
www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/five-days-a...b5BugU2qhK5GaRP-gVc0

Here's a news story about the person I was talking about. Tragic, chokes me up every time I think about it. Repeat that with thousands of people every day whose stories I don't know, hard to wrap my head around.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, hotseatgames, Ah_Pook

More
14 Dec 2020 09:16 #317143 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic Coronavirus
did the shave... wish I'd seen the beard thing earlier, I totally would have tried it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
14 Dec 2020 11:03 - 14 Dec 2020 13:51 #317148 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Coronavirus

Gary Sax wrote: www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/five-days-a...b5BugU2qhK5GaRP-gVc0

Here's a news story about the person I was talking about. Tragic, chokes me up every time I think about it. Repeat that with thousands of people every day whose stories I don't know, hard to wrap my head around.

On the day one of the first vaccines was given in a hospital in Bristol (UK) an ER nurse died from COVID (in that hospital) that he contacted a couple of weeks earlier.
We are still going to have many months, maybe a year, of tragic stories.

I am very bitter about the fuckwits slowly causing the disease to be resurgent in the UK even though the whole country is on medium to severe restrictions (don't click the link if abusive language upsets you):

www.facebook.com/thomas.hazlett.3/posts/10222137585002737
Last edit: 14 Dec 2020 13:51 by southernman.

More
14 Dec 2020 14:23 #317169 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus
What's concerning me here in the U.S. is that there does not appear to be a plan for distributuon, in spite of having had nine months to prepare for what would assuredly occur, there doesn't appear to be any detail short of "the CDC does this all the time" which is incorrect. As it stands it appears the military (who has been tapped to organize this) has detail for how to get vaccines to each of the 50 states and the territories. But that only goes as far as the central delivery location for each jurisdiction.

So yeah, I think there will be months of delay here in the states and even longer for the payout that the vaccines promise.

More
14 Dec 2020 14:39 #317174 by Shellhead
At best, there will be at least 50+ plans for distribution in the U.S., because Republicans don't like a strong federal government.

More
14 Dec 2020 14:48 #317175 by Gary Sax
Yes, each state is issuing their plan, definitely go look for yours. I looked at the AZ draft plan several days ago and it's still super unclear whether I will be eligible to get it early-ish, that's how vague it is. Who is a "teacher?" Dunno! I'm in the AFT, but maybe higher ed educators aren't teachers?

But your overall point of the insanity of having 50 not very well realized plans for this feels pretty insane.

More
14 Dec 2020 15:21 #317176 by Shellhead
The MN plan seems reasonable at first glance: "The first doses of COVID-19 vaccine will be given to people working in health care settings who could get COVID-19 at work and people who live in long-term care facilities. Other groups that may get some of the early doses include some first responders, essential workers, adults with high-risk medical conditions, and older adults."

However, the term "essential workers" has been tossed around freely in Minnesota this year. During the partial lockdown last spring, I believe 70% of MN employees were classified as essential. My employer is considered essential because we are producing pet food, so I am considered an essential employee. I could probably work from home more than half the time. To be honest, I come into work every day because I am middle management on the cusp of upper management, which means that I need to be seen visibly working by the business owners who come in every day. Although I am looking forward to getting vaccinated, my conscience dictates that I will wait until after the other high-risk groups have had a chance to get it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

More
14 Dec 2020 15:47 #317180 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus
I'm in a position to wait because I can be cloistered here in the woods without any potential exposure. But I need to broach the issue with my wife to determine how we want to do it, what order and how far apart.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.353 seconds