October 09, 2023
2685 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2853 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
30 Oct 2020 17:35 #315781 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
By no coincidence, that last map is just about an inversion of the map of the states colorcoded by severity at CovidActNow.org

covidactnow.org/?s=1219300

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2020 23:08 - 31 Oct 2020 23:12 #315800 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus
We in the U.S. are getting news from a firehose at the moment, but England announced a four week lockdown.

The U.S. is not in a position to follow suit.
Last edit: 31 Oct 2020 23:12 by Sagrilarus.

More
01 Nov 2020 00:17 - 01 Nov 2020 01:06 #315802 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus
Was telling a British friend that CT now has 40 states on its restricted travel list (people have to quarantine for 14 days if they come in from any of those states), and how our governor has formed an alliance with NY, and is currently in negotiations with MA. This then required trying to explain that the US has no national policy, regulations, or leadership regarding COVID. How everything is being handle at the state level, and each state is figuring it out itself and each one is doing different things. And it all just about blew her mind.

So yeah, It’s pretty much like 50 different countries here, and I can barely keep up with what is going on with CT and our bordering states MA, RI, NY, and NJ (because NJ is part of the NY/CT alliance).

And I keep imagining it like all the Governors of the states are playing some mash up of Struggle of Empires and Pandemic.
Last edit: 01 Nov 2020 01:06 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Msample

More
01 Nov 2020 12:12 - 01 Nov 2020 12:42 #315815 by WadeMonnig
Replied by WadeMonnig on topic Coronavirus
Apparently if you attend a concert of a Tribute Band, you won't have a chance to getting COVID.
*Sarcasm Mode Off*
With every touring band cancelling concerts for AT LEAST this year, there has been a surge of "A tribute to..." bands playing shows in St. Louis. With infuriating taglines like "A glimmer of normalcy..." "Ignore it like the plague." would be a better choice.

www.thepageant.com/calendars/
Last edit: 01 Nov 2020 12:42 by WadeMonnig.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Msample, hotseatgames

More
01 Nov 2020 21:50 #315838 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus
My ex wife used to refuse to wear a seat belt. They're still out there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
02 Nov 2020 05:21 #315840 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Coronavirus

ubarose wrote: Was telling a British friend that CT now has 40 states on its restricted travel list (people have to quarantine for 14 days if they come in from any of those states), and how our governor has formed an alliance with NY, and is currently in negotiations with MA. This then required trying to explain that the US has no national policy, regulations, or leadership regarding COVID. How everything is being handle at the state level, and each state is figuring it out itself and each one is doing different things. And it all just about blew her mind.

So yeah, It’s pretty much like 50 different countries here, and I can barely keep up with what is going on with CT and our bordering states MA, RI, NY, and NJ (because NJ is part of the NY/CT alliance).

And I keep imagining it like all the Governors of the states are playing some mash up of Struggle of Empires and Pandemic.

Similar is happening over here in the UK. The regions/countries of Scotland,Wales and Northern Ireland have their own 'devolved' govts so they choose to set their own rules which are all different to each other and England - so, as many of you know the UK isn't that big, this creates lots of confusion as people are continuously crossing non-existent borders for work and family life every day. And then in England we have had recently tiered localised restrictions that affect just one city or region or part of a city or part of a region, with the purpose of trying to keep the economy of most of the country functioning in some state.
This has now stopped as the virus has proved itself much smarter than a good proportion of our population and is going rampant - end result is that all of England is now going into another lockdown for a month (with the exception that schools and universities are staying open, interesting in that our second wave was kickstarted by them). They had no choice really, medico official advice was that the hospitals would be full by the end of the year and the death rate possibly 2000-3000 a day (it is currently around 300 and peaked around 1300 in Spring).

This is our life folks for the next 1-2 years and the sooner everyone realises this the sooner we can get into some sort of a co-ordinated life and hopefully have fewer of these outbreaks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, mezike

More
03 Nov 2020 10:11 - 03 Nov 2020 10:12 #315885 by Shellhead
Despite 2,948 new cases (out of 5.6 million people), Minnesota still doesn't have a statewide mask mandate. The most densely populated county does have one, but I live in an adjacent country without a mask mandate. Despite that, mask compliance is pretty good now. The last few times I went to the grocery store, 100% masks. I went to the mall last weekend for the first time since February, and everyone wore masks, though one idiotic couple had their masks on their chins like they were cosplaying LeBron. When I voted this morning, everybody had masks on. One guy who looked like Joe Rogan was wearing it on his neck at first, but eventually he put it on properly.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2020 10:12 by Shellhead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Sagrilarus

More
03 Nov 2020 10:25 #315887 by ubarose
@Southernman

The New England region here is very similar to what you describe by you. The region had formed a consortium, and had implemented similar COVID policies and exempted each other from travel restrictions. This break with MA is a significant development.

My sense from speaking with my friend was that most of the info she was getting about the US was somewhat sensationalized news from the south and mid-west, where there has been far more partisan politics in the response to COVID policies, such as not wearing masks as a political statement. The report that she read that started our conversation was of a gas station turning off the pumps on individuals wearing masks who were trying to buy gas.

My theory as to why COVID policy has been far less politicized here in New England is that the first areas hit were the wealthy Republican districts and it hit them hard. So there has been far more bi-partisan support for policies and regulations attempting to keep COVID in check.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
03 Nov 2020 10:55 #315890 by Sagrilarus

ubarose wrote: My theory as to why COVID policy has been far less politicized here in New England is that the first areas hit were the wealthy Republican districts and it hit them hard. So there has been far more bi-partisan support for policies and regulations attempting to keep COVID in check.

Yeah, getting hit on the head with a hammer changes your perspective on things pretty quickly.

New England Republicans also don't have the sword of Damocles hanging over their head. They can be moderate conservatives and not get voted out of office in their party primaries. So they have the option to be rational in their response to a disease. They can be good managers instead of having to be good Republicans.

As for mask mandates (Shellhead) -- a woman I read from South Dakota indicated that they had one out of every 535 people in the state test positive on one single day last week. At some point SoDak is going to be in the same position as New York City and Washington, the moment when you own the fact that you're getting your ass kicked. That's when behavior changes. Good to hear it happening in Minnesota, let's hope your neighbors follow suit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
03 Nov 2020 16:41 #315906 by Shellhead

Shellhead wrote: Despite 2,948 new cases (out of 5.6 million people), Minnesota still doesn't have a statewide mask mandate.

That was Sunday's number. 3,843 new cases just yesterday. Yikes.

More
04 Nov 2020 18:13 - 04 Nov 2020 18:14 #315932 by Hatchling
Replied by Hatchling on topic Coronavirus
Here in Ontario, Canada we've been getting record-breaking new cases. The government's latest response was to colour-code the different phases of the response and take a "cautious, careful" approach to responding. Because that's what you do when faced with danger, right? You be cautious and careful. But of course there is constant slippage in the talk about what we are being cautious about. One breath identifies the virus as the threat, and the next breath suggests that the real threat would be any lockdown that would negatively affect small businesses, a big part of the base of the ruling party. The result: a big shrug of the shoulders that lets bars and restaurants and gyms open in recent hotspots.
Last edit: 04 Nov 2020 18:14 by Hatchling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax

More
04 Nov 2020 18:59 #315933 by ubarose
CT is rolling back to, as they are calling phase 2.1, which is mostly a reduction in capacity regulations and operating hours back to what they were this summer, however, decisions regarding schools are left to the towns. So my office is going to part-time remote work to reduce the number of people in the building to comply with the regulations. I’ll be remote every other week at least until Jan 1.

We are waiting to see what happens with the schools. It looks likely that Al’s will continue to be in person.

More
04 Nov 2020 22:05 #315937 by Sagrilarus
My wife is stocking for another lockdown. Maryland has been pretty steady, but the numbers are setting records pretty frequently right now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb, Gary Sax

More
04 Nov 2020 22:25 #315939 by bfkiller
Replied by bfkiller on topic Coronavirus
For the first time since the pandemic hit, Saskatoon's (Canada) cases are pretty concerning in terms of the reproduction rate. The mortality rate has been quite low in the province (currently about 25 times lower than the neighbouring North Dakota) but I expect that to increase correspondingly. My Gloomhaven group has been meeting in person for a few months but we've decided to shut it down until this surge subsides.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
04 Nov 2020 23:08 - 05 Nov 2020 10:43 #315940 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Coronavirus
My brother and sister-in-law got it 3 weeks ago, but they're okay now. Like a bad case of the flu for them, which is good. He's an NP, so he should be able to keep an eye out for any long-term symptoms

Normally we have my brothers over for Thanksgiving, but I think it'll be just our immediate family this time. The infected ones should be non-contagious by then, but the other one and his wife can still get it. Neither one of them work from home; one is a teacher in a room full of kids, and the other sells cars. My brother is convinced he caught it in February, but he's an idiot.
Last edit: 05 Nov 2020 10:43 by RobertB. Reason: I R DUM

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.347 seconds