October 09, 2023
2701 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2866 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
09 Feb 2022 21:03 #330641 by jason10mm

RobertB wrote: I read that the LotR series wasn't allowed to use The Silmarillion. That they could use a lot of Tolkien's Second Age notes, plus footnotes in The Lord of the Rings novels.

No way! I thought Amazon dropped 250 MILLION on the rights alone and had to commit to multiple seasons at 100 mill a pop or more. That had to be more than notes.

Anyway, we'll see in 6 months or so.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2022 22:36 #330644 by dysjunct
Finished up BOOK OF BOBA FETT. Remarkably mediocre and the finale was quite dumb. As some of the most fearsome warriors in the galaxy, you’d think they’d have more advanced tactics than “stand completely exposed in the middle of the street and fire at bad guys.”

The Mandalorian is a good character, but Boba is just milquetoast. A boring nothingburger who wants boring things for uncompelling reasons. He used to be so cool back in 1983.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lj1983, mtagge, Nodens, n815e, Kmann

More
10 Feb 2022 06:11 - 10 Feb 2022 11:20 #330647 by sornars

n815e wrote: Futurama is coming back again!

I don't know. I'm less enthused than you might expect about that news. I love Futurama but it ended perfectly three or four times already. The most recent finale was an amazing capstone to the series. Can they stick the landing another time?

Edit: I also found out John DiMaggio (Bender's VA) isn't coming back but it also sounds like negotiations are ongoing. That seems like a challenging one to recast.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2022 11:20 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
10 Feb 2022 08:38 #330651 by the_jake_1973
Watched a few episodes of Reacher. If Duke Nuke 'Em cosplayed as Sherlock Holmes and forgot any witty quips, that would be the main character. It reminds me of Will Sasso's take on Steven Seagal on Mad TV. The guy playing the detective has apparently been typecast as it is the same character he played in iZombie. Reacher is such a Gary Stu, but has no charm to get away with it. Just an action figure doing his 'gym walk' through the scene.

More
10 Feb 2022 13:30 - 10 Feb 2022 13:40 #330663 by RobertB

jason10mm wrote:

RobertB wrote: I read that the LotR series wasn't allowed to use The Silmarillion. That they could use a lot of Tolkien's Second Age notes, plus footnotes in The Lord of the Rings novels.

No way! I thought Amazon dropped 250 MILLION on the rights alone and had to commit to multiple seasons at 100 mill a pop or more. That had to be more than notes.

Anyway, we'll see in 6 months or so.

Tolkien's 'notes' are probably 300,000 words, give or take a few, with three whole new languages in there.

On my viewing front, the wife and M-I-L are now on Game of Thrones S8. I'm bowing out - I've seen it twice already, and I think that's enough for the last two seasons.

ETA: $100M for the contents of Tolkien's trashcan might be a sign of Too Much Capitalism. I don't want to go all Marxist, but something isn't right if Joe Rogan gets a $100M contract for his podcasts, and people are paying 6-figure amounts for Bored Ape NFTs.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2022 13:40 by RobertB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, jason10mm

More
10 Feb 2022 13:34 #330664 by RobertB

dysjunct wrote: Finished up BOOK OF BOBA FETT. Remarkably mediocre and the finale was quite dumb. As some of the most fearsome warriors in the galaxy, you’d think they’d have more advanced tactics than “stand completely exposed in the middle of the street and fire at bad guys.”

The Mandalorian is a good character, but Boba is just milquetoast. A boring nothingburger who wants boring things for uncompelling reasons. He used to be so cool back in 1983.

I told my brother, "I heard Bobba Fett was kind of mediocre." He lost his mind. Inchoate rage. I might have to rattle his cage a little more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Jackwraith, mtagge, n815e

More
10 Feb 2022 13:57 #330665 by Shellhead

RobertB wrote:

dysjunct wrote: Finished up BOOK OF BOBA FETT. Remarkably mediocre and the finale was quite dumb. As some of the most fearsome warriors in the galaxy, you’d think they’d have more advanced tactics than “stand completely exposed in the middle of the street and fire at bad guys.”

I told my brother, "I heard Bobba Fett was kind of mediocre." He lost his mind. Inchoate rage. I might have to rattle his cage a little more.

About six years ago, I noticed that a vocal segment of the the Star Wars fan base is completely toxic. I liked three of the Star Wars movies (including Solo and Rogue One), but that's a pretty low hit rate for such a large franchise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, Jackwraith, n815e

More
10 Feb 2022 20:32 - 11 Feb 2022 09:21 #330668 by jason10mm
Come on, Fett has KNEE missiles!!

And I'd be lying if I said I hadn't read Tolkien's trash, conveniently collected in the 10 volume History of Middle Earth encyclopedia set.

If the Amazon LOTR show doesn't have a hobbit Ranger named Trotter I'm gonna be pissed!

edit: I recall now that the original concept for Aragorn/Stridor was the Hobbit Trotter. Anyway, how a nod to that initial idea makes it into the show since the latest news dump about it is making me less excited (compressing the timeline into the span of just a few years to allow for the same humans to stick around in particular seems to be troublesome).
Last edit: 11 Feb 2022 09:21 by jason10mm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
11 Feb 2022 12:00 #330684 by n815e

sornars wrote:

n815e wrote: Futurama is coming back again!

I don't know. I'm less enthused than you might expect about that news. I love Futurama but it ended perfectly three or four times already. The most recent finale was an amazing capstone to the series. Can they stick the landing another time?

Edit: I also found out John DiMaggio (Bender's VA) isn't coming back but it also sounds like negotiations are ongoing. That seems like a challenging one to recast.

I do agree that the show’s end was perfect.

I think it’s actually amazing that this show has been killed and resurrected multiple times over the last 23 years.

I don’t want to see them ruin what we already have, but they have also been consistently good to great throughout each revisit. So I’m going to be positive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, sornars

More
11 Feb 2022 12:04 #330687 by n815e
I never saw the appeal of Boba Fett. He is just a loser bounty hunter. He takes a job with Jabba but can’t complete it on his own, gets paid for the work that others did, lounged around the gangster bar, then gets “killed” in a really embarrassing way.

What about that sequence of events makes that character appealing in any way?

So I kind of don’t expect much from the show. It’s actually disappointing that they brought him back at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Disgustipater, mtagge

More
11 Feb 2022 12:27 #330688 by Shellhead

n815e wrote: I never saw the appeal of Boba Fett. He is just a loser bounty hunter. He takes a job with Jabba but can’t complete it on his own, gets paid for the work that others did, lounged around the gangster bar, then gets “killed” in a really embarrassing way.

What about that sequence of events makes that character appealing in any way?

So I kind of don’t expect much from the show. It’s actually disappointing that they brought him back at all.

In a franchise with few mysteries, Boba Fett debuted as an enigma with distinctive armor. (On the Star Wars Christmas Special, can you dig it?) There was a fair amount of hype about him leading up to The Empire Strikes Back, but most of his scenes ended up on the cutting room floor. And he was ultimately scaled back from being a major villain to a minor character. So there was this weird disconnect for the fanbase, with this cool-looking dude who seemed important but rarely appeared. Fans are going to fan so the thirst for more Boba Fett continued until now we are getting this weak show.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, n815e, Virabhadra

More
11 Feb 2022 12:44 #330692 by ChristopherMD

Shellhead wrote: In a franchise with few mysteries, Captain Phasma debuted as an enigma with distinctive armor. There was a fair amount of hype about her leading up to The Force Awakens, but most of her scenes ended up on the cutting room floor. And she was ultimately scaled back from being a major villain to a minor character. So there was this weird disconnect for the fanbase, with this cool-looking chick who seemed important but rarely appeared.

History repeats itself. Looking forward to The Book of Captain Phasma someday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Msample, jason10mm, mtagge, n815e

More
11 Feb 2022 12:52 #330694 by Msample
Good Star Wars parody :

More
11 Feb 2022 13:57 #330697 by jason10mm

ChristopherMD wrote: History repeats itself. Looking forward to The Book of Captain Phasma someday.

Thats a good joke but I kinda think there is a big missed opportunity (so far) to show the stormtrooper POV. They totally whiffed it with Finn, but they could go back and have young Phasma or even OT era Imperial Academy/storm trooper stuff. Obviously adding significant nuance to what is basically blaster/lightsaber fodder is probably anathema to the Mouse, but I think it could have some interesting angles about the power of perspective, limiting/mis-information, indoctrination, or even how the Rebels were actually ruining a kinda good thing for a lot of planets. That little stretch of dialogue at the end of season 1 of Mando was about the most "behind the mask" we ever got for a stormtrooper, other than the guys that casually backed out of Kylo's tantrum in ANH.

Anyhoo, at the rate D+ is kicking out SW shows, we should be desperate enough for this in about 4 years once they get done with the "Tales from Mos Eisley Cantina" series :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
11 Feb 2022 14:14 #330698 by Msample
Stormtrooper POV would certainly be interesting, as long as Disney resists the urge to have a cameo from some famous good guy like Obi Wan or someone who mows down Stormtroopers like so many mooks.

Of course one of the very first SW fan films is told from the Stormtroopers POV and still holds up to this day.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, RobertB, Ancient_of_MuMu, jason10mm, Gregarius, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.603 seconds