October 09, 2023
2544 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2739 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
28 Dec 2021 11:45 #329075 by hotseatgames
Finished The Silent Sea on Netflix. While I didn't care much for the ending, the rest of the show is really great and well worth your time if you want a great sci-fi story with a dose of The Thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, ChristopherMD, jason10mm, DarthJoJo, Dive-Dive-Dive!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2021 13:36 #329077 by charlest
Been watching a ton of TV and movies as I had some banked PTO and we just got a new 65" TV (main TV was previously a 720p 42" that is 13 years old and still kicking).

Wheel of Time - was somewhat detached for the early episodes and left uninterested. It picked up dramatically near the end and really ended up enjoying it.

Arcane - First three episodes were fantastic. Next few were dull. Ending was decent.

Witcher Season Two - this show just fails to make me care about the overarching plot. The monster fights and characters are solid, but much of the effort feels a bit wasted.

Station 11 - enjoying it. Don't find it fantastic, but it's solid.

Bad Batch - Not bad at all. First Star Wars property that details what actually happened in the wake of Order 66.

Hawkeye - Just the first episode and it was a bit uninspiring. Hopeful it grows on me.

It's Always Sunny whatever the current season is - These guys still have it.

Succession is the best show currently running. That finale was exceptional.

Ted Lasso - We loved the first season. Season Two is underwhelming. It feels like it's missing the hard edge of the team in turmoil and Ted having to fight for his job and respect that the first season had. That element was important because it contrasted well with the light feel good tone.

Yellowstone current season - It's fine. My wife loves this show and I enjoy it, but it's trashy and feels like the cultural successor to Sons of Anarchy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, DarthJoJo

More
28 Dec 2021 13:42 #329078 by fightcitymayor

charlest wrote: Ted Lasso - We loved the first season. Season Two is underwhelming. It feels like it's missing the hard edge of the team in turmoil and Ted having to fight for his job and respect that the first season had. That element was important because it contrasted well with the light feel good tone.

It is unfortunate that it went from S1 about a sports team to S2 which was basically a soap opera with a sports team as a backdrop. Judging by the ending of S2 I am hoping the actual sports component comes back into play (pun intended) with S3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, sornars, charlest, DarthJoJo, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
28 Dec 2021 15:12 #329080 by Gregarius

charlest wrote: Hawkeye - Just the first episode and it was a bit uninspiring. Hopeful it grows on me.

The first two episodes are weak. Don't give up until you see the third. It really picks up momentum there and for the rest of the season.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
28 Dec 2021 19:29 #329090 by jason10mm
Hawkeyes last episode almost killed the whole season for me, that director needs to be shown the door El Pronto and the middle ep directors given more work.

Working through Silent Sea now. I really don't want more flashback storytelling in my life but I'll allow it for this show. The science though, well if there is a participation trophy then they earned it.

More
29 Dec 2021 00:02 #329093 by Space Ghost

charlest wrote: Succession is the best show currently running. That finale was exceptional.

Yellowstone current season - It's fine. My wife loves this show and I enjoy it, but it's trashy and feels like the cultural successor to Sons of Anarchy.

We also got a new TV. Our TV downstairs has been going strong for 12 years and we got a TV upstairs this month (I resisted for 12 years because I didn’t want a TV in the upstairs living room, but my wife finally convinced me).

I mostly agree with both of these. I might quibble that Curb Your Enthusiasm is slightly better than Succession. Larry David is masterful this season, and Tracy Ullman I’d a true delight.

More
29 Dec 2021 09:21 #329104 by ChristopherMD
Around the World in 80 Days - I thought this was going to be a miniseries but it turns out to be an actual series with a second season in the works. Might be my favorite Verne novel so I was really looking forward to another adaptation and this doesn't disappoint. Makes some changes from the novel like there's no Detective following them but the guy he made the bet with sends someone after them. David Tennant is great in this as expected.

More
30 Dec 2021 02:59 #329115 by RobertB
Ink Masters - over the holidays I've watched all of S3 and all but the finale of S4. Still not going to get a tattoo. The casts so far remind me of bad Survivor, where they get the biggest assholes they could find, lock them in a room for a couple of weeks, and see what happens. Sounds like a total waste of time, but I'm still interested.

More
30 Dec 2021 15:42 - 30 Dec 2021 15:48 #329138 by Virabhadra

charlest wrote: Succession is the best show currently running.

Ooh, that's bold. We watched the premiere when it came out (2018) and given the political landscape at the time I think we weren't in the mood for a show about rich people being assholes. Should probably revisit it at some point.

Curb Your Enthusiasm and It's Always Sunny are still two of the most consistent comedies out there, especially considering how long in the tooth they are. Leon confusing "pimento" for "placenta" and Charlie's "cheese monger / cheese mongrel" bit were outstanding character moments this year.

Is anybody else here watching What We Do In The Shadows? We played A Touch of Evil against the Krampus on Christmas, and I put the Nandor yule log on in the background. I was going to post about it but decided to search the forum first to see if anyone was likely to catch the reference, and I was a bit surprised to find no mention of the show in these parts.

Easily the best thing that isn't on HBO, it's a documentary-style comedy that follows three vampires and their familiar living in modern-day Staten Island. Creator Taikia Waititi sums up its tone very well: "Humans are so [expletive] stupid and boring and lazy, that given the gift of immortality, you’d never get around to doing anything. You’d just put off everything. People that have been alive for 5,000 years, going: 'I’ve got forever to learn how to play violin. Why start now?'" Three seasons and a stellar Mark Hamill cameo.

Also haven't gotten around to the latest season of Archer. I've loved the show from the beginning and I'm too bummed out to watch Jessica Walters' final episodes.
Last edit: 30 Dec 2021 15:48 by Virabhadra.

More
30 Dec 2021 15:55 #329140 by Shellhead

Virabhadra wrote: Is anybody else here watching What We Do In The Shadows? We played A Touch of Evil against the Krampus on Christmas, and I put the Nandor yule log on in the background. I was going to post about it but decided to search the forum first to see if anyone was likely to catch the reference, and I was a bit surprised to find no mention of the show in these parts.

Some of my friends speak highly of the show, but I am already paying for two streaming channels and won't let myself get a third at this time. I do own and enjoy the original mockumentary version of What We Do In The Shadows.

More
30 Dec 2021 16:08 - 30 Dec 2021 16:08 #329141 by Virabhadra
I've been getting Hulu as part of a Spotify bundle for so long that I forgot it isn't free to stream. If you liked the movie, you'll definitely like the show - the new characters are not analogues of the original vampires and the folks behind the scenes have an actual budget to work with. The movie spin-off series Wellington Paranormal is a bit loopier than the source material, but if you like Waititi and Clement's brand of humor, it's a lot of fun too.
Last edit: 30 Dec 2021 16:08 by Virabhadra.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike

More
31 Dec 2021 01:48 #329163 by Greg Aleknevicus
Although I enjoy the TV version of What We Do in the Shadows, it's a huge step down from the movie. The notable difference is that the movie had the delicious juxtaposition of the vampire mythology against the soft, understated New Zealand persona whereas the TV version is against a brash American attitude (even though the three main actors are British). It doesn't work nearly so well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, mc

More
31 Dec 2021 03:35 #329166 by ThirstyMan
I suffer a lot with the 'James Bond Syndrome'. That is, 1 minute after watching the movie/show I have completely forgotten the plot and all characters in it.

This means rewatching shows/movies is a viable thing for me.

As a result, Fringe gets its third run through and I have to say, it holds up pretty well.

Yes, I know it's basically an exploration of the meaning of love over multidimensional space but it's still fun. Also a precursor for all the crazy conspiracy theories that now exist mainstream.

The acting is great and John Noble is absolutely excellent in this show (....wait stop your experimentation, I think I have an erection).

Thoroughly recommended AND has a complete story arc that actually finishes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, SteveK

More
31 Dec 2021 04:52 #329168 by mezike
I think the search feature must have failed you Virabhadra, because I’m sure we’ve discussed WWD a few times! I find Greg’s point interesting and somewhat agree, although I find the chemistry between the leads superior in the show and that interaction is where most of the humour subsequently comes from (perhaps rightfully, otherwise the shtick would very quickly get old). I enjoy them both.

Thank you for the rec on Wellington Paranormal, hadn’t heard of it before and will track it down (might have to resort to buying it on disc as it isn’t widely accessible over here)

I watched the first episode of Boba Fett yesterday. Very little happens and what’s does occur doesn’t always make sense. Welcome to Star Wars I suppose. There are some conveniently lucid dream sequences that allow the show to flashback to what is clearly the script from the abandoned Fett movie. It’s okay for a first episode I guess but some way off Mandalorian S3 which is what everybody really wanted. I feel like I’m just hate-watching this Star Wars shit now.

More
31 Dec 2021 17:41 #329194 by Not Sure
I agree that I like the episodic WWD a little more than the movie. The movie sort of dragged the joke out a little too long, and I think it fits better into a shorter "problem of the week" TV format.

It's still great when Waititi or Clement guests in the show though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, Virabhadra

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.084 seconds