October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
13 Jan 2022 22:25 #329774 by hotseatgames
I didn't know 5 were planned. Based on the pace I would have guessed 3.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2022 22:27 #329775 by trif
3 would make sense. Fortunately there's only 10 episodes to a season (so 5 seasons of Yellowjackets is less than 2 seasons of Lost.)

More
15 Jan 2022 14:34 #329830 by ChristopherMD
Around the World in 80 Days - Finished watching this. I'm just gonna assume the book is so old I don't need to worry about spoilers. Changes were fine even if I feel they dropped bits of the story they should have kept. Like from New York to London they just book a regular passenger ship. I would have preferred a smaller boat like the book where they're tossing stuff overboard to pick up speed. The show focuses more on what they do at each destination than the actual traveling. Tenant's portrayal of Fogg as very intelligent and determined but also a weak, cowardly man full of regret was great. They do finish the story in the first season and hint towards 20,000 Leagues for season two.

Station Eleven - Took a few episodes but I'm fully into this now. The graphic novel nods remind me of Utopia (the UK version not the stupid US one).
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
15 Jan 2022 14:50 #329831 by dysjunct
I am way behind. Unfortunately my spouse is an early-to-bed kinda gal, which means we watch typically one or two episodes of something per night.

I was recently laid up with a knee injury (either a meniscus tear or bursitis, can't get in to see the doc until this Friday due to covidiocy) so I could finish some stuff we started but she didn't care for. So I finished SQUID GAME (fine, has that weird tone common to a lot of Asian shows) and WHAT IF (gorgeous animation, mostly good stories).

We finished LOKI (fun) and are about a third of the way into HAWKEYE (which clearly establishes him as the best Marvel character IMO).

Shipping the kid off to the grandparents this weekend, so we might try to binge WHEEL OF TIME, which she has never read. I read 7.5 books before realizing I no longer gave a shit about anything that happened to any of the characters. Hopefully the series is greatly condensed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
15 Jan 2022 20:42 #329834 by hotseatgames
Watched all 3 available episodes of Peacemaker on HBO. A really fun, ridiculous show. If you liked the last Suicide Squad movie, you’ll like this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, jason10mm

More
15 Jan 2022 23:32 #329836 by Shellhead

hotseatgames wrote: Watched all 3 available episodes of Peacemaker on HBO. A really fun, ridiculous show. If you liked the last Suicide Squad movie, you’ll like this.

I came here to say the exact same thing. In recent months, I have deliberately avoiding binging shows, preferring to savor them one episode at a time. But I was hooked by the first episode of Peacemaker and ended up watching all three in a row. It's violent, strange, funny, ridiculous, surprising, and occasionally touching.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
16 Jan 2022 11:56 #329842 by Gary Sax
Is that the new James Gunn project?

More
16 Jan 2022 12:47 #329844 by hotseatgames
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
16 Jan 2022 13:39 - 16 Jan 2022 13:39 #329845 by dysjunct
Binge the first five episodes of WHEEL OF TIME yesterday, and am pleased to report that it was surprisingly entertaining. Low expectations FTW!

I liked the characters, costumes, and practical effects. The landscape CGI was a tad dodgy, especially when a character would walk up to a little rise and the camera would pull back and pan over some grand vista -- it just screamed "hey look at this amazing vista on our green screen!"

But I will say this -- it's the first time I've seen a literal uncanny valley .
Last edit: 16 Jan 2022 13:39 by dysjunct.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., hotseatgames

More
16 Jan 2022 20:14 #329853 by ChristopherMD
Station Eleven was beautiful. Pretentious enough to transcend the medium while being down-to-earth the whole time. I had to pause to laugh when Jim started in on his enthusiastic presentation after her rant. Also I was emotionally unprepared for two characters looking at each other in the finale.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
20 Jan 2022 13:41 #329938 by jason10mm
Book of Fett continues to flounder in horrific fashion. I don't know if this was a covid casualty, had a movie concept that got stretched out to 6 eps, or was just an idea that the writers didn't really know what to do with because the show flounders from bad idea to good moment to inscrutable character assassination scene with a rapidity that astounds the mind. Definitely not a "better than the sum of its parts" positive gestalt.

Archive 81 on netflix. Very odd show about a reclusive guy hired to restore damaged camcorder tapes from a building fire 25 years earlier. Naturally, freaky shit happens. This show is a MASTERCLASS in building tension with nothing but music, framing, and scenery. It is the absolute best kind of slow burn as secrets are revealed and the spooky/creepy dial is slowly, inexorably, cranked up and up. I'm about halfway through it I think which is usually the peak of these types of shows as the early build-up starts to pay off but the fumbled conclusion has yet to arrive. Hopefully this show sticks the landing because I have no idea where it will go but it's almost all scary bad places in the best of ways.

No new concepts here, you will quickly deduce the tropes. But the performances shine and carry the show. They have paired a very reserved and subdued film restorer (Mamoudou Athie) with a hyperexpressive and overly animated object of the films (Dina Shihabi), both getting what I think are well deserved leading roles for actors I'm not very familiar with, so the switching back and forth avoids burn out of either one. It does use the totally overused "flashback to give relevant info" thing but it is limited enough and done well enough that this time I'm giving it a pass. It's also a good way to have a "found footage" show that isn't all Blair Witch crazy cam.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, allismom3, hotseatgames, the_jake_1973, DarthJoJo

More
20 Jan 2022 22:44 #329948 by hotseatgames
I just finished Archive 81. It's... okay. I think after midway it starts downhill. I really liked the restorationist, but the videographer... she has no sense of self preservation. She has MANY opportunities to save her own ass. Granted, if she did, there wouldn't be much of a plot.

Did I miss where the "81" comes in? I don't recall them saying how many tapes there were, and it's not a relevant year in the story.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

More
20 Jan 2022 23:13 #329949 by charlest
The 81 comes from the podcast the show is based on. In the cast, the protagonist is working on restoring a film titled "Archive 81".

I'm about halfway through (seance scene right now while typing this), and it's alright. I enjoy this type of Rosemary's Baby/Suspiria story, but this isn't particularly strong. Entertaining enough though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
21 Jan 2022 08:33 #329951 by Legomancer
Finished season 2 of The Great on Hulu. It's really good and I am looking forward to s3. It's a heavily fictionalized version of Catherine the Great of Russia. Hilarious, fun, bawdy, and interesting, with great characters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

More
21 Jan 2022 09:38 - 21 Jan 2022 09:38 #329954 by Gary Sax
My spouse was watching that one, I thought the episodes I caught were pretty fun too.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2022 09:38 by Gary Sax.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.540 seconds