October 09, 2023
2594 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2788 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
02 Feb 2021 14:52 #318745 by Msample
I was surprised AGENT CARTER didn't catch on. I thought it was very good, well cast and captured the post WWII era well. IIRC it was on ABC; maybe if it was on a cable channel like CW it would have survived.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2021 04:13 #318775 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
We watched Agent Carter way back when and yeah I enjoyed it.
Her offsider with the limp who's name I forget showed up in the last season of Agents of SHIELD which was quite cool.

Like the concept of WandaVision but it's a bit laboured so far. Perhaps I am not attuned enough to the clues as to what's going on (like, I can see when they are there but, I'm not actually that into it enough to even think about what they might mean).

As a kid in the 80s All Creatures Great and Small was one of my favourite TV shows (myserious cities of gold notwithstanding). I don't think I've seen a single episode since then, might have to check out the new one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, mtagge

More
03 Feb 2021 12:13 #318789 by Hatchling
I recommend the French Canadian series ”Can you hear me?" on Netflix. It's drama/comedy, but much more drama than comedy. The setting is hard life in poverty in Montreal seen through the experiences three female friends have and how they help each other survive. The role of song in the show is what i love the most. Very touching, but heads up that there's some fairly raw and brutal subject matter.

I can mostly follow the French, which to me conveys a kind of intimacy (I grew up in Montreal) but I think the acting is stong enough to make subtitles work just fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
03 Feb 2021 13:20 #318790 by RobertB
I try not to think that there's such a thing as a 'guilty pleasure' when it comes to what I watch on TV, but Grey's Anatomy makes it difficult. My daughter started watching it on Netflix a few years ago, then my wife and I started watching it. Pretty people cracking jokes, doing soap opera things, and Saving The World Through Medicine; what's not to like? We stopped watching a couple of years ago, when we had caught up to Netflix, but now there's two more seasons available.

Also watching The Expanse. Unfortunately, I'm the only one in my house who likes it, so I sneak off and watch it on my PC. If you like the books, you'll like the show. Too bad it's scheduled to be done after S6.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
04 Feb 2021 21:25 #318843 by Sagrilarus
Back to Killing Eve, season 3 this time. It is absolutely hilarious.

More
05 Feb 2021 12:43 #318864 by ChristopherMD
I'm 3 episodes into The Expanse S5 and every single one of them has been better than the entirety of S4. I think they also took fans talking about how great a pan shot of a Mars city looked last season and ran with it. They show a lot more of what places actually look like now instead of just the outside of a building they're going in/out of. Future Baltimore in the third episode was great. The characters are all much better when they're dealing with their own lives and the Earth/Mars/Belt stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, RobertB

More
05 Feb 2021 13:08 #318867 by Shellhead

ChristopherMD wrote: I'm 3 episodes into The Expanse S5 and every single one of them has been better than the entirety of S4.

Thank you. Expanse S5 has been camping my queue for a while now, but I haven't been able to muster any enthusiasm to start it, until your post. I liked the first three seasons, but the fourth was less enjoyable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
05 Feb 2021 13:58 #318870 by Gary Sax
If the 4th season is the season long planet visit, no wonder the next season is better just based on source material. I did not enjoy that book.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
05 Feb 2021 14:09 #318872 by Msample
Season 5 just ended and while it had its high points it also spent far too much time focusing on one character and their "family" . It felt like 3-4 episodes stretched into a season. That said it has set up the next ( and final ) season for some good payoffs.

More
05 Feb 2021 14:35 #318875 by jason10mm

Msample wrote: Season 5 just ended and while it had its high points it also spent far too much time focusing on one character and their "family" . It felt like 3-4 episodes stretched into a season. That said it has set up the next ( and final ) season for some good payoffs.

Yeah, i agree. Though it gave the Naomi actress a lot of room to stretch her acting legs. Her and Drummer got all the juicy bits IMHO.

I'm not a big fan of how the season ended but that is probably a different thread since it is pretty spoilerly. We'll see what they do in S6 since they know it is the end of the road.

More
05 Feb 2021 14:56 #318878 by Msample

jason10mm wrote:
I'm not a big fan of how the season ended

Offscreen issues with one lead actor certainly forced some post production editing that made it somewhat choppy.

But I did love the scene with Amos and Holden reuniting on the Roci.

"We're good !" ( cut to Holden's WTF expression ) .

More
05 Feb 2021 17:18 #318889 by Sagrilarus
I gave up on the books when they started focusing on the terrorists. I just didn't give a damn if they lived or died, so the narrative wasn't very compelling.

Actually I think I would have preferred they died so the story could move on without them.

So on the TV I'm about to go into the book that takes place on the planet and opted to hold off. I could skip that season, but then it's the terrorists which means one, maybe two more seasons to skip.

I think I'm good. Killing Eve is way better. And I liked the first three of Expanse.

More
05 Feb 2021 18:44 #318899 by jason10mm

Msample wrote:

jason10mm wrote:
I'm not a big fan of how the season ended

Offscreen issues with one lead actor certainly forced some post production editing that made it somewhat choppy.

But I did love the scene with Amos and Holden reuniting on the Roci.

"We're good !" ( cut to Holden's WTF expression ) .

Yeah, that certainly was a thing, but i was more referring to the certain ship at the end. I feel like since season 1 its been "hey, remember that alien shit?" only in the beginning and closing eps and it irks me. Either address the alien shit or just drop it and deal with the human drama. Paying lip service to it like they do must confuse the living daylights out of non book readers. At this point the protomolecule could have been replaced with nanotech or anti-matter as a macguffin.

More
05 Feb 2021 23:37 - 05 Feb 2021 23:37 #318914 by Gary Sax
I watched the pilot of Star War Rebels since I have Disney+ time left. And while the animation is better and the concept is more relateable and personal, it's just... not as interesting as Clone Wars. The setup is *extremely* hero's journey for a young man which bores the shit out of me tbh as a first impression.
Last edit: 05 Feb 2021 23:37 by Gary Sax.

More
06 Feb 2021 00:28 #318916 by Jackwraith
Yeah, it's a bad sell and the plot is nowhere near as interesting as Clone Wars. Given the amount of TV to watch these days, my recent mantra has been: if you can't sell me on the first episode, then you haven't sold me. I'm not going to sit through 5 or 6 until it "gets better" (I've seen people say that you have to watch a whole season of some shows until they "get good." WTF?)

All of that said, I started watching it years ago when it was on at 6 AM when I was normally eating breakfast before leaving for work when there was nothing else worth watching and it does improve. But unless you're a real Star Wars fan, I'd say you're not missing a whole lot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Gregarius, Varys

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.682 seconds