October 09, 2023
2598 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2792 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
31 Jan 2021 07:50 #318612 by southernman

KingPut wrote: Top COVID-19 shows:
1. Ted Lasso - for all sports fans
2. Queen’s Gambit - For all gamers
3. Curb your enthusiasm- Sinfield fans
4. Outlander- For Sex and adventure
Others I enjoyed: Turn, Last airbender, Americans, Medices, liberators, Black Sails, the crown, Letterkenny, Mandalrian, Rebellion
Not through yet: Wanda Vision, Morning Show

I've been watching my BSG boxset again ;)
Netflix has included the five Marvel TV series, and Better Call Saul.

(KP - have to report that my Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit has been sold)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2021 08:20 #318614 by KingPut
I hope you made major Bank on your sale of Queen’s Gambit. We’re you able to pay for kids collage tuition with the sale of Queens Gambit?

More
31 Jan 2021 15:22 #318621 by southernman

KingPut wrote: I hope you made major Bank on your sale of Queen’s Gambit. We’re you able to pay for kids collage tuition with the sale of Queens Gambit?

Not a tuition, but a very big dent in two large kickstarters ... I doubt investing in Amazon or Instagram a dozen years ago would have given me a better return.
Still have War of the Ring ....

More
31 Jan 2021 19:55 #318622 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
I finished up PEEEAKYYYYY FOHKIN BLINDUHHHHHZZZZZ and it pissed me off in Season 5 too. How do you fuck that plan up? "Wait ten seconds," give me fucking break. I don't like when the plot is dumb because they assume everyone in the audience is fucking dumb. Anyway, fascism wins. Spoilers! I don't care. It should piss you off. best thing about the show is me saying PEEEAKYYYYY FOHKIN BLINDUHHHHHZZZZZ like Joe Cole constantly. I also say "Tommeh SHELbeh" and "Abarama GOLd." Good times.

We're in the Paul/Prue days of GREAT BRITISH BAKE-OFF/BAKING SHOW and Paul is a colossal asshole and Prue is enabling him. He's terrible and it makes me hate the show. I love watching them cook and absolutely can't stand Paul Hollywood. Great job, guys, make everyone hate your host. Hope that works out. If my family didn't watch this together I would never watch it again. He's a shit.

Started HOLD AND CATCH FIRE.

WANDAVISION is what I mentioned it was earlier and it's playing out now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
01 Feb 2021 15:38 - 01 Feb 2021 15:39 #318674 by Gary Sax
I finished the Mandolorian. Some of the "LOOK AT THE PEOPLE YOU'VE SEEN FROM THE REST OF THE STAR WARS UNIVERSE" worked for me, some didn't. The organic part from original characters that they had built over two seasons still, I think, worked far better than the old touchstones brought back from your nostalgia. The second season had some kind of undercooked filler episodes that they couldn't even think of the most minor reason to be part of the serialized plot beyond "we gotta go here."

Still the best thing Star Wars has offered in a long time. Its kind of a shame that they have to play in space that is the prequel to the really up and down final trilogy films. I think Star Wars should live on TV from here on out, it seems to be the only place they're allowed to be low stakes enough to build their own compelling characters and storylines.

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 01 Feb 2021 15:39 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Msample, Jexik

More
01 Feb 2021 16:57 #318684 by jason10mm
Ultimately I think the powers that be need to have a sit down and really try to understand what Star Wars is. Otherwise it will always be chained to the OT. Is it about the Force (and is the force the one and only wellspring of mystical power)? The duality of Jedi and Sith? The will of the few to resist the ruler of the many? The rise and fall of the house of Skywalker? Or just space cowboy stories with a bit of religious mumbo-jumbo and cheap political theater?

Until this has been sorted I have low confidence in anything not tied to the OT, where at least most of the elements work, there are some good, if archetypical (stereotypical?), characters, and I like the design aesthetic. Star Wars MEANS something to me, even if it is a bit nebulous and hard to articulate other than, when done to my satisfaction, it makes my inner young boy cheer in glee. So I personally don't appreciate folks putting their own spin on it unless it plays be the rules I want.

I'm not writing the checks making new SW content so I get that my opinion isn't the most relevant, but if they want me to keep watching and buying they gotta at least toss me a few bones. Mando is a big buffalo thighbone so far, I hope they keep coming.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, sornars

More
01 Feb 2021 17:03 #318685 by Gary Sax
I think they can do all those things, they just can't do them in the same show at the same time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
01 Feb 2021 17:23 #318690 by ChristopherMD
I think some or all of those filler episodes in season two are actually launching points for multiple spinoff series. TV shows are definitely the way to go, I think, because most of the movies are best forgotten. I'm gonna put a Star Wars rant that's been brewing in spoilers below. Avert your eyes, fanboys.

Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, jason10mm, sornars, Nodens

More
01 Feb 2021 19:05 #318696 by Msample
They are definitely using MANDALORIAN to back door pilot/kick off new series. Asoka and Boba Fett are already confirmed. They are also doing CASSIAN ANDOR and KENOBI. Once they get those up and running, I think each will be left to stand alone more so than we see now. I am surprised they didn’t spin off BokaTan/ Katee Sackoff..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
01 Feb 2021 20:44 #318704 by Gary Sax
I wonder if theyre going to just wrap all that straight into more Mandolorian.

More
01 Feb 2021 23:01 #318709 by DarthJoJo
WandaVision is really shaping up to be something special. It’s already the most narratively ambitious Marvel property while taking full advantage of the MCU and its comic book setting. In short, despite leaning hard on several feature films worth of background, it feels like nothing else, and that’s fascinating. Side characters from multiple films have appeared, but it doesn’t make the universe feel smaller, like the Mandalorian’s onslaught of season two cameos. They just feel like they’re the right people for the job.

Apparently we’re on a Marvel kick now because we’ve started Agent Carter, too. Just a solid little spy, adventure show set in the ‘40’s. Hayley Atwell should be a bigger deal, and they surrounded her with a solid supporting cast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Msample

More
01 Feb 2021 23:47 - 01 Feb 2021 23:48 #318710 by Gary Sax
Now I'm the dummy, I should have put those Mando thoughts into the TV thread. I just corrected it.
Last edit: 01 Feb 2021 23:48 by Gary Sax.

More
02 Feb 2021 09:37 #318720 by Shellhead

DarthJoJo wrote: WandaVision is really shaping up to be something special. It’s already the most narratively ambitious Marvel property while taking full advantage of the MCU and its comic book setting. In short, despite leaning hard on several feature films worth of background, it feels like nothing else, and that’s fascinating. Side characters from multiple films have appeared, but it doesn’t make the universe feel smaller, like the Mandalorian’s onslaught of season two cameos. They just feel like they’re the right people for the job.

Apparently we’re on a Marvel kick now because we’ve started Agent Carter, too. Just a solid little spy, adventure show set in the ‘40’s. Hayley Atwell should be a bigger deal, and they surrounded her with a solid supporting cast.

Agent Carter was a great show. I borrowed the first season from the public library and it was great. Then I checked out second season, but somebody had somehow erased the discs. I still look forward to watching second season at some point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, DarthJoJo

More
02 Feb 2021 13:20 #318739 by ChristopherMD
All Creatures Great and Small - Fish-out-of-water veterinarian in rural farming community in 1930's. An all-around pleasant viewing experience and comfort TV at its finest.

More
02 Feb 2021 13:25 #318741 by Gary Sax
^Yeah, it's very good.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.611 seconds