October 09, 2023
2579 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2776 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
11 Apr 2023 22:04 #338959 by Jackwraith
Saw Air. Eh. It's basically a hagiography of a major corporation and present the signing of a shoe deal as if it was some transformative event in American history. Yes, it changed the athletic shoe industry and, yes, it changed the game of basketball, but does that deserve a comparison to MLK's speech at the Lincoln Memorial? It's not a bad film. It's funny and well-acted. I have a couple questions about Affleck's directing approach (the close-ups!) But it presents Nike as David in a Goliath story when it was already a billion-dollar corporation. Damon has the lead role as Sonny Vaccaro and, honestly, I would've been far more interested in a biopic of Vaccaro and his personal crusade to expose the hypocrisy and greed of the NCAA, even though I know that story just as well as I know the story about signing Michael Jordan. It would at least have had more meaning in an ethical sense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Msample, Dive-Dive-Dive!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2023 11:36 - 13 Apr 2023 11:37 #338977 by Smeagol
Took my 13 year old to the Super Mario Bros movie last night.

Movie was good. Lighthearted fare with 1,000,000 Mario game easter eggs.
Voice acting was fine, if I hadn't read online criticism of Mario's casting I never would have had it cross my mind. Jack Black is awesome as Bowser.
My son enjoyed it as well.

We somehow ended up at a 3d showing. The two advertisements for the 3D at the beginning were amazing 3d that were shockingly cool to both of us with it feeling like you could reach out and touch the 3d company's logo. . But then the 3d movie itself was very meh. I suspect if they could do a dedcicated 3D only movie it could be a cool effect, but as it is it felt like an afterthought and was kind of annoying. I wouldn't go to a 2D/3D movie in 3D again without it being on accident like this.

also watched "Kill Boksoon" on netflix. FYI: it was dubbed. Kind of female John Wick with the sligtly different humor of those across the ocean. Not highly recommended or anything but I enjoyed it and watched the whole thing without playing a phone game or reading game rules, so that's something for a Netflix show these days. I'm not qualified to comment on the violence and how it is portrayed like some of the other reviewers here but I hope to read some other reviews if anybody watches it..
Last edit: 13 Apr 2023 11:37 by Smeagol. Reason: spelling errors
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
13 Apr 2023 12:36 #338980 by hotseatgames
I watched part... maybe half, of Kill Boksoon (subbed) but didn't get around to finishing it. I found it pretty average.

More
13 Apr 2023 13:06 #338982 by n815e
I love 3d. To me, the best 3d is done subtly, where it makes the movie feel more immersive. The in-your-face stuff is fun, but that’s not what I’m looking for.

Same with surround sound. I love dts-x/atmos. It’s also fun when some effect grabs attention, but the best part of it is background immersion.

More
13 Apr 2023 16:58 #338985 by jason10mm
I think there is some sort of post-production way to add 3D that is just interpolated from a 2D image, that is sure to result in lackluster 3D IMHO.

I'm in the camp that if you are not James Cameron, then your 3D needs to be BONKERS 3D, like eyeballs launching at you in Friday the 13th 3D, floating sharks swimming towards the camera, all that shit like we had in the heyday of 3D in the 80's (maybe that was a heyday revival from earlier 50s(?) 3D?) and gloriously on display in stuff like Pirahna 3DD.

I thought a lot of the post-Avatar 3D was EXTREMELY tepid, as the 3D effect tends to make landscapes and citiscapes look like toys, only Cameron has shown that he can do "normal" 3D well as he keeps it dialed back and allows it to play into the brains acceptance of the realism of the image versus just trying to maximize the impact without building in actual 3D sight gags.

Now actual 3D VR, THAT is immersive. I have a Quest 2 and there are CG panoramic films in there that are just ASTOUNDING in how quickly you are 10000% in the world. Most are horror related and whoooo-boy, if a real horror director ever decides to tackle a VR film....watch out.

More
13 Apr 2023 18:29 #338987 by ChristopherMD
2D to 3D conversion can be good IF they spend the time (money) to do it. Cameron's Titanic 3D conversion took 2 years, iirc. Most 2D movies spend 2 months or less on it.

More
15 Apr 2023 09:22 #339006 by Msample
The only 3D film I saw in the theater was the original MCU AVENGERS and it gave me a headache.

More
15 Apr 2023 10:04 #339007 by Nodens
Somewhat hidden in the hills in Oklahoma 1906 lives a widowed farmer with his teenage son. Their humble lives of quoting scripture and toiling get interrupted by a man with a satchel of cash and a gunshot wound. Of course, he is being followed. That really is all there is to this one.
When I started watching Old Henry I hoped for a straightforward western tale. I found gold. I love Tim Blake Nelson and he is perfect for this one. Stephen Dorff and the other dozen people are all great.
If you decide to be on board for this, stay on board. Near the end your suspension of disbelief will be tested. I laughed out loud and rubbed my hands.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Jackwraith, sornars, DarthJoJo

More
15 Apr 2023 11:48 #339009 by ChristopherMD

Msample wrote: The only 3D film I saw in the theater was the original MCU AVENGERS and it gave me a headache.

Every 3D movie I've seen in the theater gave me a massive headache after. But I had an active 3D TV at home and never had a single one. Most movies its just a gimmick though so you aren't missing anything really.

More
15 Apr 2023 14:11 #339012 by hotseatgames
Watched I See You on Netflix, on a whim. I'm not going to say it was good, but I will say it surprised me more than once, which is saying something these days.

More
16 Apr 2023 16:14 #339017 by DarthJoJo
By request of the eldest I took my boys to see The Super Mario Bros. Movie. Bit of a misnomer there. Calling it a movie, that is. There was an illusion of movement through the use of images with slight deviations. There was the barest shred of a plot (I need to save Luigi). There was no character development. All of Mario’s victories were extrinsic to his character (unless choosing to use power-ups despite them tasting like mushrooms is a sign of growth). Things happened and characters appeared only because they were in a game.

Generally stupid but entertaining, I guess. Bowser’s scenes were highlights.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, sornars

More
16 Apr 2023 17:41 - 17 Apr 2023 09:25 #339018 by sornars
I just got back from watching Renfield and really enjoyed it. It balanced action and comedy well. Nicholas Cage was great as Dracula, Nicholas Hoult was an entertaining lead while Awkwafina didn't irritate me as much as I feared she might.

I'd hesitate to call it great but it was short, entertaining and the sort of thing I like to watch in theatres. It may be too late to rescue this one but I want more mid-budget schlock made so go out and see this instead of the Mario movie (see Darthjojo above)!
Last edit: 17 Apr 2023 09:25 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
17 Apr 2023 09:52 #339022 by jason10mm
Yeah, the Mario movie was straight kids stuff, no subtlety or nuance to the script for the adults. I did like how they integrated some of the games into the action but that was about it. I feel like the script went one way with the Mario characterization (a lot more goofy and incompetent) and Nintendo came in and smacked it around a bit to prop him up.

Hopefully the success encourages Nintendo to open their library a bit more and maybe take a little more risk with a Link/Zelda film or even Samus.

More
18 Apr 2023 21:24 #339057 by ChristopherMD
I got 20 minutes into Ant-Man 3 and shut if off. Just not into the MCU stuff anymore and I really don't care what's going on in the quantum realm. Watched Far from the Madding Crowd (2015) instead. Beautifully shot rural victorian romance starring Carey Mulligan. I'm not big into romances but I do enjoy a well-made drama. Well-acted all around too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, mezike, sornars

More
18 Apr 2023 22:10 #339058 by Jackwraith
Totally with you there. Tried watching Loki because everyone raved about it. Didn't laugh once and never went past episode 1. Tried watching WandaVision, again because people were raving. Only made it through half the first episode and was like: "Why am I doing this?" The really disappointing thing that I read about Ant-Man 3 is that they took away the essential element that made the first two films the hits that they were: the humor. Why do you still have Paul Rudd as the lead if you're going to make a film that isn't at all funny? Why did you remove Michael Pena's character, who was an absolute highlight of both of the previous films? It just doesn't seem like a sound creative approach and I'd sit through possibly an entire film of Pena giving his take on the weird happenings in the quantum realm before I'd sit through another two minutes of Marvel explosions, at this point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Msample, mezike, sornars, Nodens

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.771 seconds