October 09, 2023
2579 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2776 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
12 Mar 2023 12:53 - 12 Mar 2023 12:56 #338662 by Nodens

Disgustipater wrote: I’ve been interested in this strictly because I liked In Bruges. It sounds like the tone of Banshees is not the same? I actually don’t know anything about the plot.

A little Closer in tone would be The Guard, Young Offenders, The Gentlemen or the show Brassic.
Only one of them has Farrell, though.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2023 12:56 by Nodens.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2023 14:05 - 14 Mar 2023 15:06 #338673 by Nodens
I was looking for something a little dumber to watch, just for a few laughs and stumbled upon Vacation Friends with the one and only John Cena as a drug fiend version of his likeable persona (or is that just how he is as a person? I would love that, actually. Not the drug fiend version, mind).
Normies on vacation in Mexico meet a strange and carefree couple, crazy antics, the vacation friends then show up uninvited at the wedding to wreak havoc. Everyone becomes a better person, love all around. Except this is only what this movie might have been. It can't be that hard, can it, it's been done a million times before. Here they try to get away without ANY character development, every single character in the movie stays exactly the same. And they aren't even characters, you don't need more than one line to descibe any of them.
So it gets old really fast. Faster than the actual runtime is what I'm trying to say. And yo might feel insulted by the script. This is a waste of your time only if you can't do without said character development. Or characters, actually. Or a plot. So it's not really a movie, ok. But I did laugh two or three times. And I like John Cena, sue me.
Last edit: 14 Mar 2023 15:06 by Nodens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike

More
16 Mar 2023 19:32 #338689 by DarthJoJo
On a pretty good run of genre films lately. Somebody I Used To Know feels like a rom com by somebody who loves them but is a little embarrassed to admit. It hits all the notes of the career woman returning to her small hometown and reconnecting with an old boyfriend but does them in a more restrained way. And with copious swearing and a surprising amount of nudity. It was a delight to see Alison Brie and Danny Pudi together again.

Up to the finale of Flashpoint, it felt oddly contemporary, like it was built to be enjoyed as GIFs. Donnie Yen throwing off his shoes before taking on someone in a boxing ring. A villain introduced by punching a hole in a toilet to get his phone back. It felt so minimal compared to what I expected. But then we got to that glorious finale and twenty minutes of straight violence. So great.

Upgrade was a true original. Not its by-the-numbers revenge plot but its vision of action. It created a new martial art in asking what it would look like if a computer could fight. And the camerawork made me want to jump up. Too bad mid budget films like these are exceedingly rare.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, Nodens

More
17 Mar 2023 09:34 #338692 by hotseatgames
Fans of the Idris Elba cop show Luther should check out the just released film on Netflix. It is WAY better than I expected it to be. Admittedly I had low expectations.

The ending gets a bit ludicrous but it is a good time regardless. If you have not watched the series, I'd suggest doing that before you watch the film. Certainly not vital, but I would not call it a good entry into the world of Luther.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
17 Mar 2023 11:18 #338693 by Jackwraith
Have always been meaning to watch the series. Am assuming I could watch the film first, since you said "entry"?

More
17 Mar 2023 15:54 #338695 by hotseatgames
hehe I think you'd be better off watching episode 1 of the first season. The movie doesn't spend any time telling you who Luther is, or anything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
19 Mar 2023 10:32 #338708 by hotseatgames
After it was talked up quite a bit around here, I was excited to get the opportunity to watch Prey. Now that I've seen it.... this film is squarely average. Every beat is telegraphed a mile away, a character dies and literally no one mentions it, etc. I think the writing could have been punched up a bit.

The concept of the film... now that is extremely cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
20 Mar 2023 21:15 #338722 by ChristopherMD
Rachels death warrant proves that Deckard isn't a replicant. She was completely harmless and would have just run out the clock. But that society was so terrified of replicants being on Earth they had to terminate her. Yet they allow Deckard to run around with a gun and license to kill anyone he thinks is a skinjob. She proves the idea he's a replicant is ludicrous. They would never allow someone they knew was a replicant to live on Earth. Deckard would be the most terrifying one since he's got access and weaponry. No fucking way.

Los Angeles, November 2019

1982 thought we'd get flying cars and off-world colonies. We got a pandemic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, Nodens

More
20 Mar 2023 21:57 #338723 by hotseatgames
I saw two other films this weekend...
Sicario - Day of the Soldado. The first Sicario was pretty cool. This one is... much less cool. Not bad, just not great.

Spiral - this "sequel" to Saw is... well that all depends on how you feel about Saw. I liked the first film, but after that really couldn't stomach the gore. This one has some pretty gory scenes, but what really turned me off is that they throw every cop movie cliche in the book in here, up to and including the renegade cop who doesn't need a rookie partner. Also, Chris Rock's acting is... sub par. He is only good at portraying Chris Rock.

More
20 Mar 2023 22:43 - 21 Mar 2023 08:43 #338726 by Jackwraith

ChristopherMD wrote: Rachels death warrant proves that Deckard isn't a replicant. She was completely harmless and would have just run out the clock. But that society was so terrified of replicants being on Earth they had to terminate her. Yet they allow Deckard to run around with a gun and license to kill anyone he thinks is a skinjob. She proves the idea he's a replicant is ludicrous. They would never allow someone they knew was a replicant to live on Earth. Deckard would be the most terrifying one since he's got access and weaponry. No fucking way.

The idea of Deckard as a replicant also completely destroys one of the main themes of the film: What makes us human? How is it that a machine like Rachel can show so much emotion, while a human like Deckard has so little of it, especially when confronted by her distress in his apartment until it finally dawns on him that this is a PERSON whose world he's just destroyed? It's just a stupid fan theory from people who didn't really understand the story.
Last edit: 21 Mar 2023 08:43 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, mezike

More
21 Mar 2023 12:27 #338730 by Gregarius
Whatever happened to Ridley Scott? Two amazing sci-fi films (Alien & Blade Runner), Gladiator, Thelma & Louise. Then nothing. I heard some rumor he was thinking about revisiting Alien, but thank goodness that never happened! Can you imagine how awful that would be?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
21 Mar 2023 13:52 #338734 by Msample
His more recent output has been uneven post GLADIATOR.

Good:

BLACK HAWK DOWN
AMERICAN GANGSTER
THE MARTIAN

Middling:

KINGDOM OF HEAVEN ( directors cut only )

SHITE

ROBIN HOOD
ALIEN COVENANT
PROMETHEUS

He's got an upcoming Napolean biopic which I am optimistic on if he can refind his roots from when he did THE DUELLISTS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
21 Mar 2023 14:00 #338735 by n815e
I’m on a Samurai kick. Last week I saw The Hidden Fortress and this week it was Yojimbo. Both are fantastic movies. Next will be Sanjuro and then Incident at Blood Pass.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, jason10mm, Gregarius, Nodens

More
21 Mar 2023 14:26 #338736 by Jackwraith

Gregarius wrote: Whatever happened to Ridley Scott? Two amazing sci-fi films (Alien & Blade Runner), Gladiator, Thelma & Louise. Then nothing. I heard some rumor he was thinking about revisiting Alien, but thank goodness that never happened! Can you imagine how awful that would be?

He had the same problem that a lot of directors fall into: he mistook spectacle for story. When both Black Rain and Thelma & Louise were huge moneymakers on star power (and minus story in the former), he shifted gears from thoughtful pieces like Blade Runner to circus maximi like Gladiator. After that, it was mostly about making a splash with STARS(!!!), although The Martian is a solid all-around film and American Gangster was at least a good effort to present an interesting period. But, yeah, you look at the trifecta of The Duellists, Alien, and Blade Runner and would've thought that this guy was on his way to being an auteur with muscle, but it just didn't happen because he decided he liked explosions in more of his films than not. (Who uses siege artillery in a field battle? No one with any sense, but they look impressive, so...)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Gregarius

More
21 Mar 2023 14:27 #338737 by Gregarius
I should've included Black Hawk Down. Much as I like The Martian, though, the directing seems pretty pedestrian, like a Ron Howard film.

I've had Kingdom of Heaven in my to-watch pile for ages. I need to get to that one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dive-Dive-Dive!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.657 seconds