October 09, 2023
2537 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2738 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Deals and Steals

More
10 Jul 2023 10:45 #339978 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Deals and Steals
Yep. Everything easily goes in the base box. It's a fantastic game and I've never had a poor reaction to it by anyone that I've introduced it to. In fact, we might play it tonight at the Monday night group. Think I'll convince them to bring in the Ref and penalties...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2023 23:10 - 12 Jul 2023 23:14 #339994 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Deals and Steals
Prime Days are over in a few hours. Did anyone find anything they couldn't pass up, board game or otherwise?

Edit: I just bought the Summoner Wars second edition Master set for $35. Yay!
Last edit: 12 Jul 2023 23:14 by Cranberries.

More
20 Jul 2023 11:34 #340025 by Virabhadra
Replied by Virabhadra on topic Deals and Steals
I stumbled across a website that is selling a host of GW miniatures, most of them resin Forge World kits and event-exclusive models, for what seem to be wholesale prices. We're talking $14 for what is normally a $50 Stormcast dude who was only available at store anniversaries a couple years ago kind of deals. I placed an order that splits the difference between "taking advantage of a great deal" and "won't break my heart if this is a Chinese scam" (the language on the website is a little... wonky... in places.) The only method of payment is PayPal, which somehow makes me feel more secure about dropping coin here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, n815e

More
20 Jul 2023 13:30 #340026 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Deals and Steals

Virabhadra wrote: I stumbled across a website that is selling a host of GW miniatures, most of them resin Forge World kits and event-exclusive models, for what seem to be wholesale prices. We're talking $14 for what is normally a $50 Stormcast dude who was only available at store anniversaries a couple years ago kind of deals. I placed an order that splits the difference between "taking advantage of a great deal" and "won't break my heart if this is a Chinese scam" (the language on the website is a little... wonky... in places.) The only method of payment is PayPal, which somehow makes me feel more secure about dropping coin here.

May be gray market stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
12 Aug 2023 13:20 #340240 by Virabhadra
I think it is a Russian retailer selling Chinese recasts. Regardless, a handful of fearless consumers on Reddit reported being very happy with the part quality.

I received a tracking number today and everything is in US Customs. Incidentally, the website is down now. Who knows?

More
04 Nov 2023 20:42 #340941 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Deals and Steals
Was on the 2000ad site for their sale and saw the Judge Dredd game for 60% off, and the Block Mania game as well, with the expansion like 75% off.

More
05 Nov 2023 20:05 #340945 by Cranberries

n815e wrote: Was on the 2000ad site for their sale and saw the Judge Dredd game for 60% off, and the Block Mania game as well, with the expansion like 75% off.

shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/games
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
05 Nov 2023 21:36 #340948 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic Deals and Steals
I was tempted but shipping was like $25. Also I would never ever play this game, but I was still tempted.

More
21 Nov 2023 22:20 #341055 by Virabhadra
The Ukranian/Chinese Warhammer recast operation I mentioned upthread is having a Black Friday sale, which is the funniest thing to me. I'm delighted to report that it's a legit (well, you know) operation with amazing customer service.

My initial order was a wild ride. Models were actively going out of stock while I was browsing the store; I caught some FOMO and ended up placing five separate orders that their team was nice enough to combine into two packages. I checked their website for a shipping update every day for two weeks and then the site suddenly went down. Twenty-four hours later, I received the following email from the company:

:blink:

A month passes. The original website said that it could take up to two weeks for processing and an additional four to six weeks for shipping from the factory, and the new website appears to be working, so I sit tight. Then I get a letter from the Federal Criminal Investigations wing of the U.S. Postal Service.

Becoming concerned that I actually might not receive this $800 order of Ukranian-via-China third-party recast resin Games Workshop figures that has been "en route" for nearly two months, I got in touch with customer service.

A+, very reassuring. Happy to report that the USPS gave the go-ahead on moving my package through the U.S. mail system and I received the whole lot of miniatures about a week later.

Customer service replaced the handful of broken/missing/miscast pieces (to be fair, I ordered a LOT of stuff) without any drama. They even threw in some freebies for the trouble. I don't quite know what I'm going to do with an extra Rogue Idol or two more Chaos Dwarf Skullcrackers, but they're both OOP models and it was very nice to include them.

Overall, the quality of these recasts is great. The resin in particular is nicely done - the recasts are as good as and in some cases better than original sculpts I've had from GW. The resin they use is smelly when you scrape it but otherwise handles just fine. Their plastic models look excellent, but some of the parts seem to be a little overcured and they're annoyingly brittle. They still look great if you can be very careful with them, though.

All things considered, I give this operation my stamp of approval. The AoS stuff is a little picked over at this point, but there's tons of 40k stuff: blacklegionmarket.co/

I think there are a handful of these sites that all source from the same factories. The selection is a bit better here, but of course, no Black Friday sale: minimodelworld.ecrater.com/filter.php?a=...=613028&view=gallery

More
23 Nov 2023 09:04 #341056 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Deals and Steals
My favorite part is the: "Don't worry, this has never happened before." because you can just hear it being delivered in a monotone from either an AI or some supremely bored phone bank operator.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, hotseatgames

More
23 Nov 2023 13:45 #341060 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Deals and Steals
That is some absolutely wild shit
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, n815e

More
23 Nov 2023 14:27 #341061 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Deals and Steals

Gary Sax wrote: That is some absolutely wild shit

Who knew Warhammer was affordable? Maybe I need to start playing again!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
23 Nov 2023 15:25 #341062 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Deals and Steals
The sheer breadth of product available on that site is unreal. GW's lawyers must be going nuts trying to shut them down I'd think.

More
24 Nov 2023 17:28 #341068 by Cranberries
Wingspan is approximately $35 with a coupon right now at Amazon. I am just not sure if I could talk my kids into playing it, and our library has it.

www.amazon.com/Stonemaier-Games-STM910-W...n%2Caps%2C178&sr=8-1

I think it would make a great gift for someone just starting in the hobby who has a knack for games of this weight.

More
26 Nov 2023 01:30 #341080 by Virabhadra
The new $300 Ash Waste set for Necromunda is $154 on Amazon.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.662 seconds