October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2714 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

The return of Heroscape

More
04 Aug 2022 13:38 #334797 by fightcitymayor

Michael Barnes wrote: I realized that I just have a ton of 2p skirmish stuff…all of which are better and more interesting than Heroscape

This.
Heroscape existed/thrived in a pre-Kickstarter, pre-skirmish-game-explosion, pre-minis-companies-proliferating-like-Easter-rabbits environment, and used that to great success. I don't know what the game would be like now, other than (as others have pointed out) a nostalgia vehicle like HeroQuest. Especially for a company like Hasbro that has a mentality of "this product better make bottom line margins of +50% or else we end it this afternoon" attitude to most hobby games.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2022 14:26 #334798 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic The return of Heroscape

Jexik wrote: What does ‘sticking’ even mean? It had a 7 year run or so. All is ephemeral.

I’m not as excited about this as one might guess. I don’t know who I’d play it with. And driving to tons of tournaments doesn’t seem possible with my obligations now.

Risk/Monopoly/Magic: The Gathering levels of sticking. "I played it as a kid, and now I'm playing it with my kid." Granted, that's a big ask.

More
04 Aug 2022 14:37 #334800 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic The return of Heroscape

fightcitymayor wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: I realized that I just have a ton of 2p skirmish stuff…all of which are better and more interesting than Heroscape

This.
Heroscape existed/thrived in a pre-Kickstarter, pre-skirmish-game-explosion, pre-minis-companies-proliferating-like-Easter-rabbits environment, and used that to great success. I don't know what the game would be like now, other than (as others have pointed out) a nostalgia vehicle like HeroQuest. Especially for a company like Hasbro that has a mentality of "this product better make bottom line margins of +50% or else we end it this afternoon" attitude to most hobby games.

Not a rhetorical question: has modern-day additive manufacturing and offshore printing techniques done away with the economies-of-scale advantages that some monster like Hasbro can bring to the party? Because I have images in my head of Hasbro selling a box of plastic that's too big to lift at Walmart for $69.95.

More
04 Aug 2022 16:34 - 04 Aug 2022 16:50 #334808 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic The return of Heroscape

RobertB wrote:

Jexik wrote: What does ‘sticking’ even mean? It had a 7 year run or so. All is ephemeral.

I’m not as excited about this as one might guess. I don’t know who I’d play it with. And driving to tons of tournaments doesn’t seem possible with my obligations now.

Risk/Monopoly/Magic: The Gathering levels of sticking. "I played it as a kid, and now I'm playing it with my kid." Granted, that's a big ask.

With this release we’ll be getting close to that. Original game first came out ~18 years ago.

I’d add Pokemon to this list. I was 13 or so when I first played and now taught the card game to the 6 year old.
Last edit: 04 Aug 2022 16:50 by Jexik.

More
04 Aug 2022 16:51 #334809 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic The return of Heroscape

Jexik wrote:

RobertB wrote:

With this release we’ll be getting close to that. Original game first came out ~18 years ago.

I’d add Pokemon to this list. I was 13 or so when I first played and now taught the card game to the 6 year old.

20th century family heirloom: jewelry or watch

21st century family heirloom: storage tote full of Heroscape
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
04 Aug 2022 17:14 #334810 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic The return of Heroscape
What really sucks is that the terrain has become brittle. I hope they fix that with however they produce it this time.

More
05 Aug 2022 11:22 #334819 by fightcitymayor

RobertB wrote:

fightcitymayor wrote:

This.

Not a rhetorical question: has modern-day additive manufacturing and offshore printing techniques done away with the economies-of-scale advantages that some monster like Hasbro can bring to the party? Because I have images in my head of Hasbro selling a box of plastic that's too big to lift at Walmart for $69.95.

Hasbro still has those scale advantages, but because they exist as a company where the revenue from printing cards (Magic The Gathering) and books (D&D) accounts for almost all of their actual profit I don't see them rushing back into the mass production of oil-based foreign-manufactured plastics that might only garner a pittance of profit margins in 2022.

I don't see it existing like "classic" Heroscape where new content hits Target shelves every quarter in the form of multiple SKUs, but maybe they will try that avenue. I do know that when the Magic tabletop game didn't prove to be an immediate runaway smash hit for Hasbro then those sets went mega-clearance in record time (and still are, you can buy those Magic sets for $15-$25 brand new all day long even today, and that game was released back in 2015.)

More
05 Aug 2022 11:30 #334820 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic The return of Heroscape
I will mention that I got most of my heroscape packs from deep discount sales back in the day as well. Hasbro canceled it for a reason.

More
05 Aug 2022 11:47 #334821 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic The return of Heroscape
It's not going to be prepainted. That makes it less appealing for those wanting to mix it with old.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
05 Aug 2022 12:20 #334823 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic The return of Heroscape

Shellhead wrote:
20th century family heirloom: jewelry or watch

21st century family heirloom: storage tote full of Heroscape

You joke but I have a tote of so many lego pieces I'm pretty sure it's worth MORE than my watch box!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
05 Aug 2022 12:32 #334825 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic The return of Heroscape
Not long ago there was pressure from activist investors for Hasbro to spin off WotC into a separate business unit in order to carve out the most lucrative part of the business and distance itself from stuff like boardgames, Heroscape, etc. Its fair to wonder if Heroscape would exist in such an environment .

More
05 Aug 2022 12:48 #334826 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic The return of Heroscape
So let's call the question. Does this new version go the distance? How many big box releases, how many small box releases before the entire thing has run its course?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
05 Aug 2022 14:24 #334830 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic The return of Heroscape
I think it goes one big box and one expansion wave then disappears again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, jpat, Msample, lj1983, Frohike, Ah_Pook

More
05 Aug 2022 15:28 - 05 Aug 2022 15:29 #334834 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic The return of Heroscape
Basically agree. It'll be like the D&D Heroscape initiative or the Magic semi-Heroscape. They'll find out that the market has moved on and that what made it work the first time was cheap plastic, $40 mass-market base sets, and $15 boosters in Target and not $100 or $150 direct-market tubs that only nostalgic nerds with too much disposal income will buy.
Last edit: 05 Aug 2022 15:29 by jpat.

More
05 Aug 2022 15:32 #334835 by Virabhadra
Replied by Virabhadra on topic The return of Heroscape

charlest wrote: It's not going to be prepainted.

Interest level exceeded.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.770 seconds