October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

The return of Heroscape

More
05 Aug 2022 15:36 #334836 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic The return of Heroscape

Virabhadra wrote: I think it was MB who suggested that we don't want Heroscape per se, but that we want to recapture that specific time in gaming.

This site has been around so long that nostalgia is increasingly becoming an almost palpable variable in our decision making discussions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, jpat, lj1983, Virabhadra

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2022 17:14 #334841 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic The return of Heroscape
Unpainted... I doubt these minis will be high quality and I'm already swimming in proxy figures from other games. I wonder how much appeal a $150 set of mid-quality minis will hold with either hobbyists who are usually more interested in higher quality stuff to paint, or casual skirmish fans who have so many other options now. And mass market? Yeah, that pile of grey/beige plastic is going straight to bargain bins in less than a year. If they're as generous with terrain as the old sets then it *might* hold more staying power, but based on what I've seen with the previous resurrection attempt with the MtG skirmish game, I doubt we'll get much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
05 Aug 2022 18:25 #334843 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic The return of Heroscape
I'm thinking I may buy a couple of starter kits to ransack the terrain out of them, a fine Heroscape tradition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, birdman37

More
20 Aug 2022 11:48 #335120 by SuperflyPete
The models are going to be very high quality, very detailed. That’s one of the reasons for going unpainted, apparently. My bigger concern is that they’ll look so good that they make the old ones look dumb.

I’m honestly at a crossroads where I have to decide if I buy a set and get back into it or sell all my stuff and let someone else get into it. It’s still one of my all time favorite games and I have friends who play but honestly at this point I’m paying $1500 a month in support so I have almost no disposable income and I’d rather spend it on gas to go hiking or kayaking.

It’s one of those inexplicably hard decisions I never thought I’d have to make
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Cranberries

More
23 Aug 2022 10:36 - 23 Aug 2022 10:39 #335202 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic The return of Heroscape

SuperflyPete wrote: The models are going to be very high quality, very detailed. That’s one of the reasons for going unpainted, apparently. My bigger concern is that they’ll look so good that they make the old ones look dumb.

I’m honestly at a crossroads where I have to decide if I buy a set and get back into it or sell all my stuff and let someone else get into it. It’s still one of my all time favorite games and I have friends who play but honestly at this point I’m paying $1500 a month in support so I have almost no disposable income and I’d rather spend it on gas to go hiking or kayaking.

It’s one of those inexplicably hard decisions I never thought I’d have to make

I suspect you've already answered your own question. :)

Personally, I'm glad that I sold my HS for a grand a few years ago, if only to avoid such temptation.
Last edit: 23 Aug 2022 10:39 by jpat.

More
27 Aug 2022 10:15 - 27 Aug 2022 10:16 #335255 by drewcula
Replied by drewcula on topic The return of Heroscape
I was gobsmacked to hear the announcement.
LONG LIVE HEROSCAPE
(and HeroQuest)
(and Wiz-War)

My buddy (DaddyScaper) was part of the relaunch team. He and I cut our teeth running Maryland HS tournaments over 13 years ago. I stopped organizing shortly thereafter, and he took off - taking it as far as Gen Con.

I'm beyond thrilled that he had a hand in the new iteration.

Now he's passed the HS tourney torch to others, and wouldn't ya know it? - I'm off to my first HS tourney in over eight years. 10/15. College Park, Maryland. $10 entry fee. It's time to dust off my collection*.

*Not really, I've been using my 'Scape stuff for Frostgrave and Rangers of Shadow Deep.

For better or worse, it appears the new set will not be gray plastic. It'll be color coded, akin to the M:tG spin-off minis. Ugh... Backwards compatibility is awesome, but if these minis aren't mounted on the classic brown bases with the terrain sticker on top? Then it's not "visually" backwards compatible.

No worries(?). I have plenty of brown spray painted bases and a few dozen HS terrain stickers.

And who knows where this will go during the crowd funding phase. It appears much of the game content is "set," but I suppose a few things could shift here or there.
Last edit: 27 Aug 2022 10:16 by drewcula.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Sagrilarus, Nodens

More
27 Aug 2022 15:14 #335261 by Sagrilarus
I know dadscaper as well. I was unaware you were a local.

More
28 Aug 2022 07:46 #335275 by drewcula
Replied by drewcula on topic The return of Heroscape

Sagrilarus wrote: I know dadscaper as well. I was unaware you were a local.

I'm in the Brookland neighborhood of D.C.

If you can make this 'Scape tourney in October, let's get a pint at Hard Times afterwards!

More
02 Oct 2022 20:08 #335874 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic The return of Heroscape
The campaign for this is live, in case anyone wants to pony up $250

More
02 Oct 2022 20:21 #335875 by Sagrilarus

Ah_Pook wrote: The campaign for this is live, in case anyone wants to pony up $250

Last time that much stuff cost $30.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat

More
02 Oct 2022 20:27 #335877 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic The return of Heroscape
Someone's done the math and it's equivalent to $350 with inflation. Shipping is also free (CMON would charge around $70 to ship this much stuff).

I think it's a huge mistake to require what's roughly a Kickstarter all-in pledge without any other options.

More
02 Oct 2022 21:56 #335879 by Michael Barnes
I'll likely get a review copy but ...yikes.

More
03 Oct 2022 09:49 #335889 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic The return of Heroscape
My finger is twitching on that buy button. I never played HS though, so I really don't know what I'd be in for. Still, they toy factor alone is pretty impressive, not sure it is 5 bottles of decent bourbon impressive though.

How is Heroquest doing? I see a lot of stuff for that, can you scoop it up for cheap yet or is the price holding.

Ans since we are sorta talking about Hasbro here, those DnD cartoon figs.....DAAAAAAMN. Whoever made the call to put 1 dice in each one was GENIUS! Gonna set my wife to hunt down Venger and DM since they are already pre-ordered out (how is that even possible?).

More
03 Oct 2022 10:08 #335892 by san il defanso
Heroscape is on my list of "like but don't love" games. It's definitely best priced as something that will move at Target.

This product seems like it's going for the people who already love and own tons of Heroscape, rather than going for new players who would really appreciate the game. That's a shame, and altogether too common in this hobby.

More
03 Oct 2022 10:52 #335903 by Virabhadra
Replied by Virabhadra on topic The return of Heroscape
I think the new campaign is missing the "Tyrannosaurs in F-14s!"-ness that was such a big part of the original's appeal:

The OG website for Heroscape had a series of short Saturday morning-style cartoons featuring Sgt. Alexander Drake; I'm looking over the previews for Age of Annihilation and it feels like we traded the game's resolutely wackadoo heart for "playable factions."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jpat, sornars, fightcitymayor

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds