October 09, 2023
2601 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2800 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

What PURCHASES are you RESISTING?

More
20 Mar 2020 18:10 #308388 by ChristopherMD
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Msample, Pugnax555

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2020 19:26 #308913 by Frohike
So... Frosthaven. Who's resisting? Who's not?

I'm not seeing a compelling reason to back this aside from getting it earlier. And I haven't finished Gloomhaven, which makes this reason somewhat less compelling for me. Looks great, though.

More
04 Apr 2020 20:43 #308916 by Gary Sax
What's the sell besides a snowy environment? Big changes to the gloomhaven engine? Or is it new characters and progression and such, which is a big sell of the game iirc.

More
04 Apr 2020 21:39 #308918 by Frohike
At first glance, the new stuff:

Crafting
More importance placed on resources vs currency (new loot deck)
A "settlement" concept (haven't researched it much yet)
Unlocking/building new shops in town

Some neat stuff, but I think I can safely pass until I can pick this up at retail in a couple of years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Gregarius

More
05 Apr 2020 09:24 #308921 by Pugnax555
I've got a line on a NIS copy of High Frontier 3rd edition for a whopping 35 bucks that I've been going back and forth on. On the one hand, it's a ridiculous price for what's supposed to be a great game. OTOH, would I ever really get around to tackling it??? Gah!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Frohike

More
05 Apr 2020 11:38 #308922 by dysjunct
Technically, I’m not resisting Frosthaven because I’m not remotely tempted. :-P

Never played Gloomhaven, as part of my (mentioned upthread) personal moratorium on pseudo-D&D games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
05 Apr 2020 14:51 #308924 by themothman421

dysjunct wrote: Technically, I’m not resisting Frosthaven because I’m not remotely tempted. :-P

Never played Gloomhaven, as part of my (mentioned upthread) personal moratorium on pseudo-D&D games.

Yep, I'm towing this same line!

I resist boardgames trying to be RPGs by reminding myself that RPGs exist (and Roll20 has been a grand experience so far, making RPG PDFs even more attractive/economical to me).

Similar resistance logic to boardgames in general with shit-tons of miniatures - I remind myself that Warhammer exists, and there's always a backlog of stuff to paint/narrative campaign to play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Frohike

More
05 Apr 2020 15:24 #308925 by Ah_Pook
im way more interested in Jaws Of The Lion personally. regular sized box Gloomhaven with a scenario book with the maps printed in it instead of a billion map tiles to set up sounds much more in line with my interest level. thought gloomhaven was fun the few times i played it but theres no way i would pull all that out for a solo game.

More
05 Apr 2020 16:19 #308927 by Sagrilarus

Pugnax555 wrote: I've got a line on a NIS copy of High Frontier 3rd edition for a whopping 35 bucks that I've been going back and forth on. On the one hand, it's a ridiculous price for what's supposed to be a great game. OTOH, would I ever really get around to tackling it??? Gah!

Look at Leaving Earth before you decide.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Pugnax555

More
06 Apr 2020 11:32 #308951 by Cranberries
I'm resisting going to Costco and buying a five lb. bag of chocolate chips.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, dysjunct, ChristopherMD, n815e

More
06 Apr 2020 11:43 #308952 by jeb
In grad school, I lived in a boarding house that would buy in bulk. Flour, butter, chocolate chips, what have you.

What you have is basically Toll House cookies. I used to make five to ten dozen cookies a week. Just make 'em and put 'em out in the Common Room. Mess around with making them shorter or more cake, mess with vanilla, toasting the flour, &c. It was a Food Lab before that was a thing. Anyway, I know how to make good cookies. Buy those chips. Mess around.

More
06 Apr 2020 13:56 #308964 by BillyBobThwarton
My mother always refused to make cookies, claiming that they were too difficult. I think in actuality she was just trying to have us avoid eating them. For whatever reason, it wasn’t a problem if I would make them. So, I have been making toll house cookies for over 30 years.

I think my technique has always been the same however the outcome ranges from excellent to very good. I wish I could understand what I am doing when the final product ends up excellent.

I would be curious to hear what manipulations to the recipe you’ve done that have improved the results.

More
06 Apr 2020 14:09 - 06 Apr 2020 14:11 #308965 by Jexik
My sister has been using the same "Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie" recipe for like 25 years. She found it in a magazine and it uses butter flavored crisco and an abnormal amount of vanilla.

Games I've been resisting: A second set of Pandemic Legacy Season 1 to play with my parents for their first time. (They haven't even played regular Pandemic). Forgotten Waters from PHG. Sounds fun, but they're good at making everything sound fun. It's a crossroads game, but more Monkey Island than Dead of Winter. And it's app with actors supported so you're not fumbling through a book.
Last edit: 06 Apr 2020 14:11 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
07 Apr 2020 09:46 #309012 by jpat

Sagrilarus wrote:

Pugnax555 wrote: I've got a line on a NIS copy of High Frontier 3rd edition for a whopping 35 bucks that I've been going back and forth on. On the one hand, it's a ridiculous price for what's supposed to be a great game. OTOH, would I ever really get around to tackling it??? Gah!

Look at Leaving Earth before you decide.

There's also a 4th edition of High Frontier coming out, if you didn't know. I have no idea on the relative merits.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pugnax555

More
07 Apr 2020 10:28 #309013 by jeb
@BillyBob Depends on what you want. Do you like crispy "short" cookies that spread out and get that shine on the underside? Or a more puffy cookie that sinks slower and ends up like a little white dome with chocolate chips trapped in it? That's the biggest difference by far for most cookie consumers. I like short cookies, so I err on the side of high with the butter and on the side of low with the flour. I use real butter, and I pick one that has a little extra fat (Tillamook, say). If you want to figure which local butter is the most rich, compare the calorie counts per serving. The serving size is standard, but Tillamook has crammed an extra 10 calories in theirs compared to Land-o-Lakes, and that's just more fat.

By contrast, a more cakey cookies would come from erring on the side of flour in the flour:fat ratio, and using bread flour can dial that aspect up even more.

You can toast your flour for a nutty taste without nuts (don't put nuts in cookies, like …ever. Bleh. I hate cookies with nuts in them. A utilitarian argument: No one likes nuts in cookies as much as people who hate nuts don't want them in cookies.)

You can toast your granulated sugar for a more caramel taste. You can't replace the brown sugar; you need that to activate the baking soda. But you can dial it down some, and even replace it in a pinch if you have baking powder or some cream of tartar to throw in, but this can make the flavors get weird and metallic.

The only ingredient where quality matters is butter if you want those super crispy cookies. You can use cheapass everything else, it all washes away.

Have a good time. Become a cookie expert.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Msample, BillyBobThwarton

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.273 seconds