October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

What PURCHASES are you RESISTING?

More
14 May 2019 18:26 - 15 May 2019 13:31 #297020 by dysjunct
I thought with the recent conversations about games as stuff, mediocrity in games, and the ongoing split between the playing-games hobby and the collecting-games hobby, we could have a thread for discussing what you're tempted by, but are not buying for whatever reason. Gaming stuff is ideal, but really anything else is fine to support and encourage anti-consumerism and intentional frugality. Currently active Kickstarters count.

TRILEMMA ADVENTURES
www.kickstarter.com/projects/trilemma/tr...dventures-compendium

Why I'm tempted: This guy's adventures are awesome. He's been publishing them for free on his blog for years. They are two-page scenarios (designed to be printed front and back on one sheet) that are stripped down and highly playable. Map, descriptions, key NPCs. No readaloud boxed text or other bullshit, just locations and/or powder-keg situations to drop your PCs into. The Kickstarter is making these available for the first time in a professional binding, plus throwing in a whole bunch of other stuff.

Why I'm Passing: I have all of his existing adventures printed out in a folder on my RPG shelf. Haven't run them yet.

51st STATE

Why I'm Tempted: Been getting good buzz from Legomancer and others. Seems like it slipped under the radar a few years ago. I like engine/tableau builders; the opportunity to get one without a boring theme is pretty sweet.

Why I'm Passing: I have San Juan, Jump Drive, Bloody Inn, and the as-yet-unplayed Res Arcana. How many tableau builders do I need?

What cool things are you passing on?
Last edit: 15 May 2019 13:31 by dysjunct.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, GorillaGrody, DarthJoJo, Vysetron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2019 19:10 #297023 by hotseatgames
I too, find 51st State intriguing. I'll leave it on my wishlist for someone to buy me later. :D

More
14 May 2019 19:17 #297024 by Frohike
Resisting Bloodborne. The pricing makes this a little easier, and the 4 player max would make it less likely to come out at the dungeoncrawler/Zombicide group since there are usually at least 6 in attendance. But it's so purty... And I'd probably play it solo. But no, must resist. I survived the FOMO for Cthulhu Wars, The Others, Batman: GCC, Hellboy; I'll survive this one as well.

I'll probably fail my roll when the second Middara campaign comes around, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
14 May 2019 19:23 #297025 by Dr. Mabuse

Frohike wrote: Resisting Bloodborne. The pricing makes this a little easier, and the 4 player max would make it less likely to come out at the dungeoncrawler/Zombicide group since there are usually at least 6 in attendance. But it's so purty... And I'd probably play it solo. But no, must resist. I survived the FOMO for Cthulhu Wars, The Others, Batman: GCC, Hellboy; I'll survive this one as well.

I'll probably fail my roll when the second Middara campaign comes around, though.

Yup, Bloodbourne for me too. But I just caved in on Hellboy :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
14 May 2019 19:28 #297026 by ChristopherMD
Resistance is futile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
14 May 2019 19:46 #297032 by Jackwraith
Looked at Bloodborne. Looks cool, but I already have The Others. Like Lang's designs, but I already have a few co-ops. Still looks great, but too much $ and I never played the video game, so I don't have the draw that it has for other people. Plus, I'd be shelling out a ton of cash for a campaign that would probably never get played.

More
14 May 2019 19:54 #297036 by DarthJoJo
Keep visiting the Kickstarter pages for CliniC and Trickshot. Pretty reasonably priced, but I haven’t been playing the games I do own. No need to add another two games to that pile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
14 May 2019 20:46 #297043 by Vysetron
I love the idea of this thread, though I worry it'll convince more people to pull the trigger than to put the gun away.

I looked at Bloodborne because I had to. It's one of my favorite video games and I wanted to believe. Then the more I saw what they were adding as stretch goals/add ons and how, the less I believed. I'm not getting the thing. I can always just play the real game.

To those of you who are considering 51st State, I'm going to be a bad influence and say you should definitely at least try it. It's Igancy's best work and probably in my top 10 at this point. My favorite tableau builder, and I tend to really like those.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer, RolandHemisphere

More
14 May 2019 21:11 #297046 by Gary Sax
Bloodborne qualifies for me here too.

More
14 May 2019 21:51 #297047 by RobertB
Would have been Root, until last night. The spirit is willing, etc, etc.

More
14 May 2019 22:48 #297051 by Shellhead
I am resisting the siren call of Coma Ward, which is basically Betrayal at House on the Hill except that each player controls a patient in a mental institution. Reviews at BGG suggest that even reducing the potential number of scenarios still leaves a game that was unusually difficult to playtest properly and so occasionally has gameplay problems.

More
14 May 2019 23:06 #297053 by GorillaGrody
Yes, I was offered my usual offer for Bloodborne, which was to get two copies, paint both, and sent the one along to my benefactor.

No money, but a lot of sweat, for a game I just can't get my mind around.

I said no, thanks.

(Otherwise, I am saying yes to some crazy shit, miniature wise, at least. I'm now on the hook to find more work, however, and so I'll be resisting a lot more in the near future).

More
15 May 2019 08:27 #297057 by charlest
I'm currently resisting buying a Hellboy Kickstarter pledge. I had the retail base game and sold it, intending to pony up and buy an overpriced pledge, but then I stumbled across a huge Heroscape auction for local pickup that I'm currently fighting over. This is getting ridiculously high in price but I haven't bowed out yet.

I really liked Hellboy though so I may not be able to resist that long term.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig, n815e

More
15 May 2019 10:28 #297067 by Gregarius
Res Arcana
Tempted by: The pretty great reviews.
Resisting because: I don't want to be sucked in by the new hotness when I already have too many games I like that don't get played.

As a side note regarding "new hotness," I played Wingspan last week and it was decidedly meh. I really don't see what all the fuss is about.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vysetron

More
15 May 2019 13:33 #297087 by dysjunct
Wingspan

Tempted by: Great reviews, refreshing theme. Was on Cool Stuff for $40 for a brief moment this morning, about half the price people are trying to flip them for on Amazon.

Resisting because: Gregarius' comment above, too many tableau builders.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.552 seconds