Front Page

Content

Board Games

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

U
ubarose
August 07, 2020
229 0

Gods Love Dinosaurs Announced

NEW and Upcoming Games
O
oliverkinne
August 07, 2020
153 0
O
oliverkinne
August 07, 2020
250 0
B
boardgameinquisition
August 06, 2020
263 0
AL
Andi Lennon
August 06, 2020
411 0
O
oliverkinne
August 06, 2020
226 0

Swatch Board Game Review

Board Game Reviews
W
We-reNotWizards
August 05, 2020
522 0
O
oliverkinne
August 04, 2020
519 0
T
thegiantbrain
August 04, 2020
180 0

Episode 53 - Meddling Wizards

Podcasts & Videos
J
Jackwraith
August 03, 2020
713 0
W
We-reNotWizards
August 03, 2020
330 0
U
ubarose
August 02, 2020
562 0
U
ubarose
August 02, 2020
509 0

Funko Last Defense Available Now

NEW and Upcoming Games
T
TabletopIsland
August 01, 2020
338 0
U
ubarose
August 01, 2020
959 0
U
ubarose
July 31, 2020
994 0

Masters of the Night

More
14 Jan 2020 14:52 #306215 by ubarose
Masters of the Night was created by ubarose
The fate of your family will be decided in a...

Solo and cooperative vampire boardgame from Ares Games.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2020 14:22 #306216 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Masters of the Night
Universal Head (Peter Gifford) did the graphic design for this. On Twitter he said, " I worked hard to create a distinctive visual design for this game." I really love his work and am looking forward to seeing what he did with Masters of the Night.

Also, I think it is interesting that it was designed by someone with a Phd in History who is an expert in folklore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith, WadeMonnig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2020 16:49 #306218 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Masters of the Night
I really love the visual design of this game, and the Universal Head involvement is a big plus. The subject is a favorite of mine, so this is veering into auto-buy territory. However, the Ares Games brand gives me pause. And thematically, the co-op aspect doesn't feel right. Reading through the rules, certain aspects remind me of my original design for Vampire: Prince of the City that got heavily altered to become Vampire: Dark Influences. Other aspects of Masters of the Night remind me of Arkham Horror. While Arkham Horror is a good match for a co-op approach, most games about multiple vampires presume selfish, competitive, or even hostile interaction between vampires. Furthermore, there doesn't seem to be any mechanism to prevent the dreaded Alpha Player problem that threatens most co-op games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2020 17:09 #306220 by the_jake_1973
Replied by the_jake_1973 on topic Masters of the Night
I kicked in for the game since the art direction is striking and 49 bones for when looks to be a decent solo game is a chance I'm willing to take.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2020 18:30 #306225 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Masters of the Night
I’m with Shellhead on this, Ares Games is a big red flag. Never played a game of theirs that wasn’t clunky and made even worse by a indecipherable rulebook. I’m staying waaaaay away from this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2020 19:01 #306227 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Masters of the Night
@Josh
Your not wrong there. Ares is kind of a crap shoot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2020 23:54 #306238 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Masters of the Night
Really? What are the bad games/rule books? My experience, while limited, has been pretty smooth with War of the Ring, Hunt for the Ring, and Sword and Sorcery.

I’ve wanted to try Last Friday — should I skip it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2020 05:21 - 16 Jan 2020 05:27 #306245 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Masters of the Night
To clarify, they occasionally make good to great games. I still find them to be clunky (War of the Ring, Sword & Sorcery, Galaxy Defenders) with subpar rulebooks (all the games you mentioned and then some). I just got Hunt For the Ring, which I know I like, but going to that rulebook was hard.

Last Friday is a good game but the rulebook has more than a few rules buried in it.

As far as bad games go...they don’t have many, but Marvel Heroes is definitely one. Age of Conan is debatable, and even though I like it, I’ll admit this it’s kind of terrible. Battle For Five Armies is okay but pointless. Master of the Galaxy is mediocre and has a vague rulebook. I’m not too fond of Galaxy Defenders, and that rulebook sucks.
Last edit: 16 Jan 2020 05:27 by Josh Look.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2020 08:46 #306250 by the_jake_1973
Replied by the_jake_1973 on topic Masters of the Night
I was rather hoping that the involvement of Universal Head to the project would improve any rulebook give what that person has brought to many games on BGG. Assuming it's the same person.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, WadeMonnig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2020 08:51 #306251 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Masters of the Night
That may be true, but I’d still need to see a rulebook before agreeing to even playing it. Rulebooks aren’t the only problem Ares has, it’s also clunky designs that are more work than they’re worth.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2020 09:39 #306254 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Masters of the Night
There is a rulebook pdf that you can download from the kickstarter page. It doesn't look bad, but I haven't taken the time to read through it carefully.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2020 10:09 #306257 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Masters of the Night

Shellhead wrote: There is a rulebook pdf that you can download from the kickstarter page. It doesn't look bad, but I haven't taken the time to read through it carefully.


I don’t want to sound like I’m looking for any excuse to not play this game, but it also just does not interest me. As much as I’m into horror, the goth-kid sympathetic vampire scene is not my thing. If it was more Near Dark, might be a different story. But it’s co-op. It’s just not for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Space Ghost

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2020 10:59 #306261 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Masters of the Night

the_jake_1973 wrote: I was rather hoping that the involvement of Universal Head to the project would improve any rulebook give what that person has brought to many games on BGG. Assuming it's the same person.


Yes it the same person. I don't know if he worked on the rule book or not. We should ask him.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2020 12:54 #306270 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Masters of the Night

Josh Look wrote: To clarify, they occasionally make good to great games. I still find them to be clunky (War of the Ring, Sword & Sorcery, Galaxy Defenders) with subpar rulebooks (all the games you mentioned and then some). I just got Hunt For the Ring, which I know I like, but going to that rulebook was hard.

Last Friday is a good game but the rulebook has more than a few rules buried in it.

As far as bad games go...they don’t have many, but Marvel Heroes is definitely one. Age of Conan is debatable, and even though I like it, I’ll admit this it’s kind of terrible. Battle For Five Armies is okay but pointless. Master of the Galaxy is mediocre and has a vague rulebook. I’m not too fond of Galaxy Defenders, and that rulebook sucks.


I haven't played Galaxy Defenders, but I don't think of War of the Ring as clunky (especially given that it was released in 2004) even though it lacks the more modern streamlining. That being said, I agree that their recent offerings indicate that they haven't "grown" with the rest of the hobby (see Battle of Five Armies being basically the same thing as War of the Ring). I thought that War of the Ring's rulebook is better than Hunt for the Ring -- but both were fine; a poor rulebook doesn't make a good game bad like a good rule book doesn't make a bad game good.

For me, Marvel Heroes falls in the bad rulebook decent game category.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2020 12:56 #306271 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Masters of the Night

Josh Look wrote:

Shellhead wrote: There is a rulebook pdf that you can download from the kickstarter page. It doesn't look bad, but I haven't taken the time to read through it carefully.


I don’t want to sound like I’m looking for any excuse to not play this game, but it also just does not interest me. As much as I’m into horror, the goth-kid sympathetic vampire scene is not my thing. If it was more Near Dark, might be a different story. But it’s co-op. It’s just not for me.


Fair enough. I'm not usually into that type of vampire either; however, the designer being an expert in folklore has me intrigued.

But, it's like Sanctum in the other thread, if a game isn't for you it isn't for me. But, thanks to your podcast, I might be convinced otherwise....it's happened before as our tastes seem to line up fairly well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds