October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2717 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

The Monster at the End of this Review: A King of Tokyo Monster Box Review

More
13 Jul 2022 10:50 #334198 by WadeMonnig
Wait,what did that say? In the title of the review,...

Hello everybodeee! Welcome to my review of King of Tokyo Monster Box starring Loveable, Furry old Wade! You probably want to stand back, I may have to bust out some flowcharts and possibly a spreadsheet to explain exactly who I think need to pick up this Monster Box. What? We blew the budget on the Monster at the end of the review shtick and there is nothing left to create flowcharts and spreadsheets? Damn, time for a flashback then: In 2016, just after the 2nd Edition of King of Tokyo was released, I picked up my (current) copy. Since then, it has made it's way to the table about once a week. I've never bought into sleeving cards but even after six years of considerable play, my copy has held up remarkably well. The only real causality was that a few of the character counters (for recording hearts and stars) have gotten loose, so they tend to move way too easily. So, when I came upon the Monster Box at my local game store and mentioned it to my wife, we agreed picking it up was a good idea.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2022 11:50 #334199 by drewcula
Great read. Thank you. I was half expecting to see Grover pop out of my screen and keep me from scrolling.

So...

If I still own 1st KoT, Halloween, and Power-Up... I can skip this box. I may not get that cute baby, but I (think I) can live without.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
13 Jul 2022 12:44 #334203 by WadeMonnig
Well, if you are rocking the 1st edition, you would also be getting Cyberkitty and Space Penguin from 2nd edition
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

More
13 Jul 2022 22:16 #334219 by Jackwraith
Nice work. Still doesn't sound like it's for me, but it was a great explanation of both the box itself and the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
20 Jul 2022 11:08 #334368 by cdennett
I will continue to evangelize playing KoT without the Power-Up expansions. While on the surface having more "unique" monsters seems great, the way evolutions interact with the game are both unbalanced and tend to slow the game down. This knocks the fun out of game which is supposed to be about quickly chucking dice and yelling at them when they give you the opposite of what you want (or glaring at my wife, who always sits my left and will pick up hearts to try and roll more claws even if she's at 3 health). And while sometimes you do need to chase those hearts, any mechanic that rewards you for chasing hearts (aka 3 hearts for an evolution) again, SLOWS THE GAME DOWN. My group universally despised the evolutions when Power-Up first came out, but online discourse seems to make it the "default" way for people to play, so maybe it's just us? And this includes folks that are typically fun-murdering cube-pushers. One in particular loves the fact that the most important decision is picking your monster, which makes no difference in game play. Except for the Kracken, because the Kracken rolls more claws, I swear it...
The following user(s) said Thank You: quozl, BillyBobThwarton, WadeMonnig

More
20 Jul 2022 18:11 #334376 by quozl

cdennett wrote: I will continue to evangelize playing KoT without the Power-Up expansions.

Preach it, brother!

More
20 Jul 2022 18:50 #334377 by WadeMonnig

quozl wrote:

cdennett wrote: I will continue to evangelize playing KoT without the Power-Up expansions.

Preach it, brother!

As Barnes told me on Twitter when I was extolling the virtues of Power up "Sorry Wade, you are having fun the WRONG way!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: quozl, Jackwraith, hotseatgames, sornars, cdennett

More
21 Jul 2022 00:08 #334378 by quozl

WadeMonnig wrote: As Barnes told me on Twitter when I was extolling the virtues of Power up "Sorry Wade, you are having fun the WRONG way!"

Eh, what does he know? He doesn't see the fun in Diplomacy.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds