October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2712 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Conqueror: Final Conquest Board Game Review

More
10 Feb 2021 09:30 #319070 by WadeMonnig
Conqueror: Final Conquest feels like it was designed in a...

This release has been sitting it my “To Review” pile for way too long. I blame this on a number of reasons but the key one being: I was too optimistic about being about to get to the table with a sufficient number of players. My COVID bubble was hunkered down on Monnig Mountain over the holidays, and I had a theoretical six players I could get involved in play. I only managed that six player game once and, of course, that was my best experience with the game. I wanted to get a few more five and six player games in to see if it sustained that high fun factor before I sat down to review it but, alas, I've abandoned that hope.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2021 10:45 #319071 by Jackwraith
Hrm. I have the same reaction that I think most would: Shouldn't cavalry be moving faster and/or have some other attribute that's more important than just 2x strength? After all, that approach is kind of askew to the power of Greek/Macedonian phalanx tactics and/or Roman legionary tactics that used infantry as the centerpiece and cavalry as either harassers or precisely that "quick strike" aspect. I'm assuming this covers mostly the ancient world, since you mention Carthage.

Also, I see cards in one pic. Do they add anything or are they just clarifications of what the troops do?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
10 Feb 2021 10:57 - 10 Feb 2021 11:01 #319073 by WadeMonnig
The hero cards you can purchase with coins, generally giving you a one shot boost during a battle. There are also goal cards that reward coins if you achieve a country specific goal (coins are primarily used to purchase a hero or bribe armies if the timer runs out).
If you would like more information on this release or to purchase it directly from the publisher, you can find it at: www.conquerorfc.com/
Last edit: 10 Feb 2021 11:01 by WadeMonnig.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
10 Feb 2021 11:55 #319075 by Msample
Actually at this scale I can buy into cavalry not moving faster - they rarely operated as a stand alone force at this level. One thing that strikes me is that the map looks to have relatively few areas for six players. The sand timer is clever . Far too many people whine about being pushed to play faster - but time constraints add another friction point that may cause a player to make a mistake - you know, like their historical counterparts, without the perfect intelligence - were prone to make.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, WadeMonnig

More
10 Feb 2021 12:25 #319076 by WadeMonnig

Msample wrote: Actually at this scale I can buy into cavalry not moving faster - they rarely operated as a stand alone force at this level. One thing that strikes me is that the map looks to have relatively few areas for six players.

I would have to double check to be sure but I believe the full map image I included is of the 3/4 player side, not the 5/6 player mega campaign side of the map.

More
10 Feb 2021 13:02 #319078 by jason10mm
Great review. Though i feel like the title "Conquorer:Final Conquest" runs afoul of that "you shall not use the word in the definition of the word" rule :p

So is this a Risk or Axis and Allies level DOAM game in complexity or higher? I LOVE the sand timer, does it also work to limit empire size because you run out of time just doing bureaurocratic logistical stuff, allowing opponents to pick off neglected units?

The hero art is hilarious(ly cheesey). Leonidas got some guns!!! :p
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
10 Feb 2021 13:09 #319080 by Msample
Based on some of the reviews I read after this one, it looks like souped up RISK in terms of complexity .
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, WadeMonnig

More
10 Feb 2021 13:17 #319081 by WadeMonnig

jason10mm wrote: Great review. Though i feel like the title "Conquorer:Final Conquest" runs afoul of that "you shall not use the word in the definition of the word" rule :p

My original title for this article was "Reviewer: a delayed review" as a little rib at the game title. I sort of gave them the benefit of the doubt since it is produced in UAE and is likely a translation issue.
You could say the game is a souped up risk but plenty of tweaks from the map layout to the custom dice make it a step or three more strategic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
10 Feb 2021 16:44 #319083 by Michael Barnes

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.386 seconds