October 09, 2023
2621 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2815 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
06 Jun 2022 10:36 #333481 by charlest
All Disney+ shows are weekly drops like traditional TV.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2022 10:46 #333482 by Shellhead
Watched the first two episodes of Season 3 of The Boys. The show picks up one year after the finale of season two, with numerous changes that I will avoid spoiling here. Some characters have changed, for better or worse, while others are unable to move on. The overall mix of the show is the same, veering from strong character moments to shockingly juvenile grimdark moments. Overall, there is a sense of a fragile détente. Homelander continues to be a compelling villain, like a Superman with the mind of Joffrey Lannister. He can smile and seem charming and decent, then turn icy cold or explosively angry. And yet the true power this season seems to reside with Vought CEO Stan Edgar (played by the excellent Giancarlo Esposito), who has tightened his grip on The Seven. Senior VP of Hero Management Ashley Barrett is back, with a sidekick who I will remember by her first line, "Also Ashley."
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, WadeMonnig

More
06 Jun 2022 11:07 #333483 by Sagrilarus

charlest wrote: All Disney+ shows are weekly drops like traditional TV.

How quaint!

So there should be more coming. I noticed Ewan McGregor is listed as an Executive Producer, so he gets a slice of the revenue. I'd be curious to see how that kind of thing is structured with a zero-advertising show like this on a subscription service. Maybe a reward based on viewership.

There was a great scene in the middle one with a drug dealer where she more or less says "everyone gets lost here, I was someone's daughter once too." Star Wars is certainly grittier than Star Trek, but this young woman was pretty, and made-up, and had clean hair, and was well dressed in clean clothes. So it kind of undercut the message. But that's what you see on a Disney product. It ain't gonna look like The Wire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
06 Jun 2022 11:36 #333484 by Msample
KENOBI is a six episode limited series with weekly drops. No second season currently planned.

More
06 Jun 2022 11:41 #333485 by hotseatgames
I've watched the first 3 episodes of the new season of The Boys, and it's as good as ever. Antony Starr (Homelander) is given the most to work with, acting-wise, and he crushes it. And obviously, any time Karl Urban is on-screen, it's good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, WadeMonnig

More
06 Jun 2022 13:16 - 06 Jun 2022 15:13 #333487 by Disgustipater

Msample wrote: KENOBI is a six episode limited series with weekly drops.

Yeah, all Disney+ Marvel and Star Wars shows so far have been six episodes.
Last edit: 06 Jun 2022 15:13 by Disgustipater.

More
06 Jun 2022 13:52 #333488 by Msample
MANDALORIAN was 8 eps for the first two seasons, BOBA FETT was 7 and the upcoming ANDOR is 12 episodes, there is no rhyme or reason .

More
06 Jun 2022 14:17 #333489 by dysjunct

Msample wrote: MANDALORIAN was 8 eps for the first two seasons, BOBA FETT was 7 and the upcoming ANDOR is 12 episodes, there is no rhyme or reason .

In theory, I like this. Tell the story you want in the space you need. No need to cut it arbitrary short, no need to pad it out to fit someone else's idea of a "season."

In practice, I think it's still in early days and it hasn't been used to best effect yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
06 Jun 2022 14:24 #333490 by Sagrilarus
I'd just like them to tell me how many episodes there will be, as in "Episode 3 of 6" or the like.

More
06 Jun 2022 14:50 #333491 by Gregarius

Sagrilarus wrote: There was a great scene in the middle one with a drug dealer where she more or less says "everyone gets lost here, I was someone's daughter once too." Star Wars is certainly grittier than Star Trek, but this young woman was pretty, and made-up, and had clean hair, and was well dressed in clean clothes. So it kind of undercut the message. But that's what you see on a Disney product. It ain't gonna look like The Wire.

Played by Ewan McGregor's daughter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
06 Jun 2022 15:06 #333493 by hotseatgames

Sagrilarus wrote: But that's what you see on a Disney product. It ain't gonna look like The Wire.

Vader's Comin'!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, Msample, charlest

More
06 Jun 2022 15:12 #333494 by Disgustipater

Msample wrote: MANDALORIAN was 8 eps for the first two seasons, BOBA FETT was 7 and the upcoming ANDOR is 12 episodes, there is no rhyme or reason .

Well then…back in my hole!

More
06 Jun 2022 16:04 #333496 by Sagrilarus

Gregarius wrote: Played by Ewan McGregor's daughter.

Daddy's the Executive Producer, so you get the work.

More
06 Jun 2022 18:27 #333501 by mezike
Obi-Wan is entertaining but suffers from prequelitis. Will Leia be rescued and reunited with her family? Well, yes, of course. Are either of them in any real danger from the inquisitors? No, not at all. Will our titular hero be tracked down to Tatooine? If he is then it won’t be even remotely a lasting risk. Will the Organa’s be imperilled for their association with the most wanted Jedi in the galaxy? Not for another eight or so years apparently.

The big dramatic scenes in the third episode felt flat because we already know everyone is completely safe, not even a scratch or scar can be suffered. There’s also a fair amount of dumb Mary Sue shit that occurs just so the show can happen. Even so it’s fun to watch, a lot better than the Boba Fett one but not quite hitting the heights of Mando S1 for us due to the lack of any real tension.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct, Msample, Ancient_of_MuMu, sornars, Gregarius, Nodens, DarthJoJo

More
06 Jun 2022 22:00 #333503 by Msample

mezike wrote: Obi-Wan is entertaining but suffers from prequelitis. Will Leia be rescued and reunited with her family? Well, yes, of course. Are either of them in any real danger from the inquisitors? No, not at all. Will our titular hero be tracked down to Tatooine? If he is then it won’t be even remotely a lasting risk. Will the Organa’s be imperilled for their association with the most wanted Jedi in the galaxy? Not for another eight or so years apparently.

The big dramatic scenes in the third episode felt flat because we already know everyone is completely safe, not even a scratch or scar can be suffered. There’s also a fair amount of dumb Mary Sue shit that occurs just so the show can happen. Even so it’s fun to watch, a lot better than the Boba Fett one but not quite hitting the heights of Mando S1 for us due to the lack of any real tension.

Better than Boba Fett is unfortunately a low bar. It wasn't initially pitched as a limited series but given the initial audience feedback and utter lack of news, I think a second season is pretty much out of the question. That said I could see Boba popping up on one of the other series like MANDO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.911 seconds