October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2715 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
01 Dec 2021 23:10 #328429 by DarthJoJo
Three episodes in and Hawkeye is well positioned to be a top Marvel series, all networks division. Annoyed and exasperated Hawkeye is best Hawkeye, and every character leaves an impact. I want to see more of all of them. The writing and performing have tread a fine line on Clint and Kate by allowing the former to be tired and over this while remaining heroic and the latter to be enthusiastic and confident without being annoying. It’s a good buddy cop comedy pairing.

The tight episode order keeps things moving. If this had been on Netflix, Clint would still be trying to dissuade Kate from the hero life. They might not even have met yet.

My only complaint is that Matt Fraction, the writer of the comic that gives the series its aesthetic and villains and dog, gets a consulting producer credit while David Aja, the artist, gets nothing. If Kevin J. Anderson can get a creative consultant credit on Dune, you can do something for Aja.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, sornars, Gregarius, Kmann

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2021 12:22 #328438 by jason10mm
Ep3 of Hawkeye had probably the best action scene in all the MCU, that was F'ing BRILLIANT. Kinda tipped Hawkeyes hand though, something like that ought to attract SHIELD (SWORD at this point?) attention. I'm not sure why he doesn't just pack Kate up and fly back home for a few days instead of stuck around trashing NYC (or downtown Atlanta!).

Super Crooks on Netflix. This is an animated spin-off? of the now canceled Jupiter's Legacy Mark Millar superhero world, except it follows enthusiastic villains instead of grumpy reluctant heroes.

Alas it has a very anime feel that I just don't like and some very odd plotting like superman criminals and guards chilling at a buffet party that really devalues the concept of prison. It is hyper violent but generally less gory than something like Invincible. I gave it three eps but I'm switching to S3 of Lost in Space.

More
02 Dec 2021 13:07 #328440 by Jackwraith
I wanted to like Lost in Space, because I was a fan of the original series as a kid (and have the first couple seasons on that archaic DVD medium!) but there just aren't any interesting characters in it. There's no one who shows up on screen and you think "Oh, this will be cool" like a Tirion in Game of Thrones or an Omar in The Wire. No one is compelling. No one has sharp edges. They're all just different shades of very inoffensive beige. I kept waiting for a single personality conflict that was something other than "Dr. Smith trying to backstab everyone" and it just didn't materialize and the mysteries of the robot and whatever new world they happen to land on were equally uninspiring. I made it a little way into season 2 and then just moved on to other things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
02 Dec 2021 13:58 #328443 by ChristopherMD
On the other side of the coin, I'm devouring Lost in Space season 3. I've got two episodes left. For me it's like Star Trek in the sense that everyone gets along well enough and it's just kind of comforting to know that the Robinsons, and Dr Smith, will always be okay in the end. I'm really really sick of dark grim shit right now and this show is definitely not that.

More
02 Dec 2021 15:54 #328446 by jason10mm
Hang on, we all talking about the new LiS? I thought Dr. Smith was pretty conniving and edgy with how far she was willing to go to hide her true identity. Sure, I don't recall that she ever kills anyone, at least on the ship, but she certainly puts some of them into peril and plays a lot of mind games. I liked how she had to constantly reestablish a reason to keep her around instead of getting spaced.

Changing Robbie into an alien robot was inspired, I'm curious just where it will go given the end of S2.

While some of the situations are a bit far-fetched, I did enjoy that the team could "science the shit" out of their predicaments. This is a sci-fi show that has SCI-FI that's not just a thin skin wrapped tightly over family melodrama (though there certainly is that as well).

More
02 Dec 2021 16:51 - 02 Dec 2021 16:53 #328451 by ChristopherMD
The Robot has killed a lot more people than Dr Smith and caused them to be Lost. Not to defend her as she did space a dude and cause dangerous problems. Just saying he's done worse and he became like family to them. She's actually toned down quite a bit in S3, even her hair.

Probably a big reason I like watching isn't family drama or characterization but the simplicity of a group of people overcoming obstacles together. There's a disaster every five minutes but there's a solution every five minutes too.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2021 16:53 by ChristopherMD.

More
02 Dec 2021 17:05 - 02 Dec 2021 17:06 #328453 by RobertB
The spousal unit will rewatch shows. Her reasoning is that it doesn't require a lot of attention and it's no big deal if she dozes off right after it starts. Right now it's Game of Thrones and Lost In Space. GoT I've seen three times already, and aren't ready for a fourth. Lost In Space, I'm not bashing on it but I can't suspend enough disbelief to enjoy it.

I'll get her watching Hawkeye when she's done with Lost In Space, which will be pretty soon. And I have to finish Boardwalk Empire, we're on the last season.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2021 17:06 by RobertB.

More
02 Dec 2021 17:28 #328456 by Jackwraith
I rarely rewatch TV shows, but rewatch movies all the time. What's the difference? Length of commitment maybe? The two main exceptions to the former are The Wire, which I've seen four times, twice to introduce new people to it, and Chernobyl, which I've also seen four times, simply because it's brilliant. Now that I think of it, I did just rewatch John Adams, so I guess I'm OK with rewatching miniseries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
02 Dec 2021 17:45 #328458 by Shellhead
I too have seen The Wire multiple times. Possibly five times now. I do re-watch tv shows, but only if they are from a short list of my favorites, which includes Band of Brothers, Firefly, and Veronica Mars. I re-watched the entire Buffy series once, finishing just after Whedon got canceled again this year.

More
02 Dec 2021 18:16 #328460 by ChristopherMD
Some shows I re-watch all the time but in the background while I'm doing something else like reading therewillbe.games. So more accurate to say I re-listen to them I guess. I already know what's happening on screen so I don't need to look.. Actually re-watch and pay attention to them is different and doesn't happen often. Some shows like Band of Brothers need to be watched. I'd have no interest in just listening to it.

More
02 Dec 2021 19:40 #328464 by Msample

Shellhead wrote: I too have seen The Wire multiple times. Possibly five times now. I do re-watch tv shows, but only if they are from a short list of my favorites, which includes Band of Brothers, Firefly, and Veronica Mars. I re-watched the entire Buffy series once, finishing just after Whedon got canceled again this year.

Likewise, although as much as I love THE WIRE the scenes with Bubbles getting high or McNulty drinking I just FF through. I just finished an EXPANSE rewatch in preparation for the final season dropping next week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
03 Dec 2021 09:31 #328475 by ChristopherMD
I have finished Lost in Space. It stays pretty consistent with its formula the whole way through the series, like it or not. I've liked the visuals since the start including the style of the ships and tech. They explained more about the robot storyline than I was expecting. I liked slightly older Will in the 3rd season a lot more than younger Will. Everyone had a chance to shine a little in the finale but I think Dr Smith actually gets the best ending.
Warning: Spoiler!
I'm glad the series was short and had a satisfying ending. Will definitely watch again sometime.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, jason10mm

More
04 Dec 2021 15:19 #328498 by Msample
I started watching WHEEL OF TIME on Amazon. I have never read the books, so I have no preconceptions or idea of what will happen. On the plus side, its relatively easy to follow with a fairly tight cast. On the other hand, the dialog/characters seem rather.....bland ? There's hardly any humor or memorable dialogue.

I'm 3 episodes in and reasonably interested in seeing what happens, but so far its kind of underwhelming given the hype. In reading about the books, I understand that the author tried to stay away from just knocking off Tolkien and in that regard it seems to have accomplished that I suppose.

Speaking of epic series, greatly looking forward to the ( sadly final and shortened ) EXPANSE dropping next week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
04 Dec 2021 16:24 - 04 Dec 2021 16:29 #328499 by Michael Barnes
I watched the first Wheel of Time it seems OK. I had no idea that there were Chaos beastmen in it so that was a high point. The scene is straight out of a Felix and Gotrek book. I know next to nothing about the books so I don’t care what they changed.

It is definitely “TV show” level and not “cinema” level. It is stiff and somewhat dull but there is potential. I think it might come into its own over a few
Episodes. The white robes in the first few minutes of episode 2 seem like an interesting elements

Arcane is -unusually- good. I know nothing about LoL except hear I gleaned from Mechs vs. Minions but the animation and writing are exceptional.

I watched about 20 minutes of Cowboy Bebop…it looks fine but too Tarantino. I’ll watch more later with lowered expectations.
Last edit: 04 Dec 2021 16:29 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mtagge

More
04 Dec 2021 16:34 #328500 by ChristopherMD
The only thing I know about Wheel of Time is that it's a lot of really long books. I don't want to start watching because I'm betting Amazon doesn't keep the show around that many seasons. Especially if it ends up competing for budget with their Lord of the Rings show that more people will be watching based on IP alone.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.811 seconds