October 09, 2023
2604 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2805 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
05 Jul 2022 16:14 #334035 by Gary Sax
I suspect I'll end up getting it. We love the Orb expansion for roll for the Galaxy.

What counts have you played it with?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2022 16:52 #334036 by Vysetron
2p and 3p, mostly 3p. 4p hasn't happened yet (part of why I haven't reviewed it). Something over 10 plays at this point, not entirely sure how many. 2p feels a bit less confrontational as you're unlikely to run out of die faces, meaning attacks will typically have enough counters available (assuming that's how they play) and each player gets enough time to snag some of a particular die side before supply runs out. At 3p a run on particular faces can matter quickly and matter a ton. 4p is likely even tighter, and attacks hit everyone so they'll be even harsher. I look forward to trying it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
05 Jul 2022 19:07 #334039 by Gary Sax
That's great, my use case would definitely be 2p.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vysetron

More
05 Jul 2022 23:06 #334041 by Michael Barnes
If Dice Realms were half the price even if it had half the stuff it would hit right at that Dominion mark. It’s brilliant, one the most compact but robust systems out there. It’s Lehmann through and through- engine building, conversions, combos galore. But it’s also full of player agency and dynamic development. It’s really a tech tree game, and efficiencies are governed by die rolls.

I’ve played it about 20-ish times with my son and we love it, it’s the kind of thing you pop out and play twice in 45 minutes with minimal setup. I could see it taking over game nights because it is addictive like how Dominion was.

Like D said, there is no narrative. Which is fine because of there were one it would probably be crap.

But it is a $120 game (I got a ding and dent for like $70). And that understandably prices a lot of people out. It really is like a core game and a couple of expansions to whether, and I really think RGG likely just decided with the special components and all to just do it as an all in one since it is likely to be a low print run, limited release. I could see them doing an “expandalone” maybe which could function as a lower cost entry point, if this sells enough to warrant it.

Probably the best game of 2022 that I’ve played.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, Frohike, sornars, Vysetron

More
06 Jul 2022 00:39 #334042 by Gary Sax
I played with a stranger from BGG and it was a super pleasant surprise, they were great and hit almost exactly my intensity with games.

We played a pretty dour euro on its face, Lorenzo il Magnifico, that really surprised me with how much I liked it. Thematically, it's every euro game ever made with mean looking Italian guys and a Pope track. But in play it hits that argent/anachrony worker placement zone with an incredibly dynamic tableau of card engine buys that really encourages flexibility, experimentation, and lateral thinking. Surprisingly big thumbs up.

We also played a trick taking game that was pretty good, Hanamikoji, which had quite interesting pass mechanics. Trick taking sort of just rolls off me even when it's clever like this was.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, Frohike, sornars, charlest, DarthJoJo

More
06 Jul 2022 12:34 - 06 Jul 2022 14:08 #334055 by ratpfink
5 of us last night, so A Study In Emerald, but new to 2 of them, so I spent time blocking the leaders and the newbies were kinda off in their own little deck building world, so it didn't go well for me. I thought both leaders were on my team(turned out wrong), so I pushed the war track up so that they could end it by taking my cities, but to do so would probably push me to last place. (Couldn't think of anything else to do to get them to stop blocking me), but since one wasn't actually on my team, this didn't work out so well.

Then Modern Art - haven't played this for years. Couple players were just... Not great at it, like failing at basic strategy of not buying your own stuff all the time. But while playing I remembered how good this game is with good auction players. Lots of emergent depth and strategies arise from this super simple game, especially as the group gets some experience playing together.
Last edit: 06 Jul 2022 14:08 by ratpfink.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, sornars, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
06 Jul 2022 12:46 #334056 by Gary Sax

ratpfink wrote: 5 of us last night, so A Study In Emerald, but new to 2 of them, so I spent time blocking the leaders and the newbies were kinda off in their own little deck building world, so it didn't go well for me. I thought both leaders were on my team(turned out wrong), so I pushed the war track up so that they could end it by taking my cities, but to do so would probably push me to last place. (Couldn't think of anything else to do to get them to stop blocking me), but since one wasn't actually on my team, this didn't work out so well.

It's so tough to play these (especially longer) more multifaceted faction/deduction games with new players with anything but complete randomness. If you don't know the game well enough to know what signals to send, how can anyone else read to intuit anything from those signals?

More
06 Jul 2022 12:52 #334058 by Msample

ratpfink wrote: 5 of us last night, so A Study In Emerald, but new to 2 of them, so I spent time blocking the leaders and the newbies were kinda off in their own little deck building world, so it didn't go well for me. I thought both leaders were on my team(turned out wrong), so I pushed the war track up so that they could end it by taking my cities, but to do so would probably push me to last place. (Couldn't think of anything else to do to get them to stop blocking me), but since one wasn't actually on my team, this didn't work out so well..

First or second edition ? If first, I applaud you for teaching; its got a bit of a learning curve to it. Played it a few months back after a long absence from the gaming table.

Its always hilarious when people "guess" wrong when it comes time to whose side someone is on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ratpfink

More
06 Jul 2022 12:59 - 06 Jul 2022 13:00 #334061 by Gary Sax
I have first edition I've always wanted to get played, it's fucking bonkers as hell, but I've never had the experienced gamers to do it.
Last edit: 06 Jul 2022 13:00 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ratpfink

More
06 Jul 2022 13:21 #334062 by Legomancer
To celebrate my new house and my independence, I had a gaming day on Monday. I personally played:
Mysterium
California
Cubitos
Tenpenny Parks
Moonrakers
Planet
LLAMA

Other games that got played:
Dead of Winter
Sagrada
Santa Fe Rails
One Card Wonder
Cave Paintings
Fantastic Factories
Cascadia
TerraCrossing Mars

There were about 10 people and we went from 10am until 9pm. It was a grand day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, RobertB, ratpfink, Msample, stormseeker75, sornars, n815e

More
06 Jul 2022 16:20 #334070 by ratpfink

Msample wrote:

ratpfink wrote: 5 of us last night, so A Study In Emerald, but new to 2 of them, so I spent time blocking the leaders and the newbies were kinda off in their own little deck building world, so it didn't go well for me. I thought both leaders were on my team(turned out wrong), so I pushed the war track up so that they could end it by taking my cities, but to do so would probably push me to last place. (Couldn't think of anything else to do to get them to stop blocking me), but since one wasn't actually on my team, this didn't work out so well..

First or second edition ? If first, I applaud you for teaching; its got a bit of a learning curve to it. Played it a few months back after a long absence from the gaming table.

Its always hilarious when people "guess" wrong when it comes time to whose side someone is on.

First, of course. There is no second edition. Only landfill cardboard.

We're going to revisit it next week now that we're hopefully past the learning curve.

I'm not sure it's a good game, but it is totally bonkers like Gary Sax says, so it's still fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

More
06 Jul 2022 19:07 #334075 by Msample
I lump ASiE in with Eklund games and other weird offbeat stuff - you play moreso for the experience than the game itself. My last game saw Holmes die in a fiery blast in London IIRC, this after a three way betrayal and his eventual assassination . Glorious stuff.

I did play the 2nd edition once.....while it wasn't as bad as I had feared, its predictably stripped of any flavor . About its only redeeming quality is that its faster and easier to teach. This BGG ratings comment sums it up best:

"1st Edition = amazing
2nd Edition = what the fuck"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
06 Jul 2022 19:35 #334076 by Jackwraith
Yeah, I traded for a copy of what I hoped would be 1st Edition but turned out to be 2nd. Played it once, found it, as Msample said, devoid of any flavor, and traded it again to someone who really wanted it (for some reason.) Meh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
06 Jul 2022 20:27 #334077 by Msample

Jackwraith wrote: Yeah, I traded for a copy of what I hoped would be 1st Edition but turned out to be 2nd. Played it once, found it, as Msample said, devoid of any flavor, and traded it again to someone who really wanted it (for some reason.) Meh.

I would have specified the edition before buying......or asked for my money back if you paid 1st edition pricing .

More
06 Jul 2022 22:58 #334082 by Jackwraith
Didn't pay. Traded. It's fine. I sent away games I didn't want and got games that I wanted in both transactions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Msample

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.163 seconds