October 09, 2023
2750 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2900 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Descent definitely totally not 3.0

More
09 Sep 2023 10:54 #340481 by Ah_Pook

Shellhead wrote: I suppose that someone could make Twister into an app-based game, but then players would lose the tactile sensation of humping their friends.

Skimmed back through this thread since it popped back up, this caught my eye because I definitely see ads for Twister Air these days

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2023 14:25 - 10 Sep 2023 14:02 #340483 by Kmann
It looked like the kind of game my kids would be super into and one I'd be down to play with them but the big price made it a non-starter for me. It's $330 here which is ridiculous money.

If it had hit Ashardalon level pricing then I probably would have jumped on it as my 5-year-old loves that game.

EDIT: For context, the RRP for FFG's Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-Earth is $160.
Last edit: 10 Sep 2023 14:02 by Kmann.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, n815e

More
10 Sep 2023 12:36 #340485 by Virabhadra
Forbes just shouted out about the new Descent expansion: www.forbes.com/sites/robwieland/2023/09/...t-arrives-today/amp/

We have a glut of offerings in every genre nowadays, so it's interesting to see their focus when a big publication does an off-topic bit about boardgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, n815e

More
10 Sep 2023 19:44 #340487 by Jackwraith
HA! That's hilarious. I went and looked on FFG's website on Friday to see if there had been any Descent expansions and saw the link for The Betrayer's War, not realizing that it had been released that day. It was complete coincidence that I posted in this thread on the day that more content for the game was finally released.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, n815e

More
13 Sep 2023 04:22 #340513 by Cranberries
“ “The Betrayer’s War is the culmination of years of passion and dedication from the entire team, and we can't wait for players to experience the next installment in the beloved franchise,” said Philip D. Henry, Senior Game Designer at Fantasy Flight Games. “Each step players take and every decision they make will leave a lasting mark on the world. Act II offers a journey filled with heroism and we’re excited for players to take on the challenge!”

This feels like it was written by AI
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
13 Sep 2023 10:49 #340514 by jason10mm
Damn, jackwraith doing PR for free now? :P

I saw a few copies of the core (? is there anything else for it?) on the shelf of a local game store. Didn't check the price but normally something this big and shelf toady would be on steep discount 2 years later. The same place had like 50 copies of the latest Warhammer big box thing though, so I imagine Descent was only a rounding error on their expense sheets.

So did this tank? Miss the boat with dungeoncrawler fatigue or just FFG fatigue?

More
13 Sep 2023 11:02 #340515 by Jackwraith
Well, that's what I'm asking. Here we are, two years later, and the first expansion for a game in a genre that basically demands them has finally emerged. Have people been able to get what they would consider "their money's worth" out of the original box. IIRC, there were several scenarios included and the app allowed for some variation within those scenarios, so there was some distance to cover if you wanted to finish the game, as it were. But I never played or even saw it in the wild outside of sitting on a store shelf. I know that Gloomhaven had almost 100 scenarios in its initial box and I'm pretty sure Descent didn't have anything close to that, so that's why I was asking if this had transformed the genre as much as MB and others were suggesting.

More
13 Sep 2023 11:47 #340517 by Ah_Pook
I know they have not supported this game digitally the way a lot of people were hoping they would. New scenarios using the stuff from the first box, randomly generated dungeon crawls, etc etc, all of that seemed like really easy additions and they didn't do any of it. And now you can buy another huge box of stuff that also won't get additional support!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Galdred

More
13 Sep 2023 12:14 #340518 by Jackwraith
Wonder if it was a design/economics conflict? FFG, at studio level, says we want to make this really cool advancement in the dungeon crawler genre that will have electronic support to take away a lot of the up-front costs. But there's still going to be a lot of up-front cost because it's a board game with miniatures. Asmodee, at corporate level says, OK, you can have the funding to do this, but we'll only sign off on expanding it if it sells X number of copies. Because of that significant up-front cost, only X minus Y copies were sold and so no money was allocated for that continuing support you suggested. It plausibly fits the "studio want to take risk, corporate does not" kind of scenario.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
13 Sep 2023 12:58 #340520 by Kmann
Ironically, the kind of digital support Ah_Pook suggests would have undoubtedly led to selling more copies of the physical game. Buzz would have continued and a new DLC campaign would have added tremendous value to the super expensive box. Unhampered by shipping logistics they could have even reanimated the old LCG monthly release model for these DLC campaign chapters or standalone missions to sustain social media chatter.

That would have been cool. Of course the suits weren't on board.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, Galdred

More
13 Sep 2023 16:55 #340525 by ChristopherMD

Ah_Pook wrote: I know they have not supported this game digitally the way a lot of people were hoping they would. New scenarios using the stuff from the first box, randomly generated dungeon crawls, etc etc, all of that seemed like really easy additions and they didn't do any of it. And now you can buy another huge box of stuff that also won't get additional support!

I think digital was just their buzz-mechanic that year. Star Wars Imperial Assault got some digital love too for a while. But ultimately they just didn't seem to care. I'm assuming it didn't prove to drive sales.

More
13 Sep 2023 17:12 #340527 by Ah_Pook
I honestly wasn't expecting them to do a big digital push on this post release, because if that was their plan they would have talked about it at release to drive hype and tried to monetize it. They didn't do that at all so y'know. But it seems like a huge missed opportunity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, sornars

More
14 Sep 2023 09:57 #340532 by Msample

Jackwraith wrote: Well, that's what I'm asking. Here we are, two years later, and the first expansion for a game in a genre that basically demands them has finally emerged. Have people been able to get what they would consider "their money's worth" out of the original box. IIRC, there were several scenarios included and the app allowed for some variation within those scenarios, so there was some distance to cover if you wanted to finish the game, as it were. But I never played or even saw it in the wild outside of sitting on a store shelf. I know that Gloomhaven had almost 100 scenarios in its initial box and I'm pretty sure Descent didn't have anything close to that, so that's why I was asking if this had transformed the genre as much as MB and others were suggesting.

Sounds like JOURNEYS IN MIDDLE EARTH, the app supported LotR dungeon crawler. App supported as well. You’d think given the IP they would have had a steady stream of expansions lined up behind the core box but in the four years since it came out, only one expansion. Then again I was rather disappointed in the game play so no big loss .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
14 Sep 2023 14:41 #340544 by jason10mm
Speaking of app-supported, can you download and play that Xcom game app today? IIRC the big fear is that it would eventually disappear, rendering the physical game part useless.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
14 Sep 2023 14:43 #340545 by jason10mm
So I found the app on the google play store and of course there are directly contradicting reviews :P

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Not compatible with Android 13. Game is dead without support for its app as cannot be played without. Developer really needs to step up if it want's to continue to release app driven games.
6 people found this review helpful
Did you find this helpful?

September 2, 2023
Does exactly what it needs to. I'm using this app on a Pixel 6 Pro, running Android 13, and it works just perfectly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds