October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

FFG No Longer Developing Star Wars Minis Games

More
17 Nov 2020 21:25 - 17 Nov 2020 21:31 #316241 by ChristopherMD
www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/...r-wars-announcement/

Development of Star Wars: X-Wing, Star Wars: Armada, and Star Wars: Legion Moving from Fantasy Flight Games to Asmodee’s Miniatures Games-Focused Studio

Last edit: 17 Nov 2020 21:31 by ChristopherMD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2020 22:10 #316243 by Gary Sax
Wow, this is kind of a weird one. I wonder what the plan going forward is for the FFG brand?

More
17 Nov 2020 23:26 #316245 by Msample

Gary Sax wrote: Wow, this is kind of a weird one. I wonder what the plan going forward is for the FFG brand?

Now they can focus on......TERRINOTH!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, allismom3, jpat, themothman421, cdennett, mtagge

More
17 Nov 2020 23:35 - 17 Nov 2020 23:42 #316246 by Sagrilarus

Wow, this is kind of a weird one. I wonder what the plan going forward is for the FFG brand?

Sounds like it may involve a cinderblock and a deep lake.

Sort of makes you wonder if the brand is encumbered.
Last edit: 17 Nov 2020 23:42 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
18 Nov 2020 07:18 #316250 by DarthJoJo
It’s not great. They didn’t just transfer out major pieces of the game catalog, but there was another round of layoffs that included veteran designers and developers of those miniature lines.

I was chatting with a friend who works in that department and was moved to Atomic Mass, and he just sounded down. Said it feels like another round of restructuring and layoffs comes through every six months.

I guess Christian Petersen and Andrew Navarro got out just in time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, allismom3, Sagrilarus, jpat, Msample, sornars, n815e

More
18 Nov 2020 08:41 #316253 by Gary Sax
When a venture capital firm takes you over, even a European one, there's only one ending.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Rliyen, Sagrilarus, jpat, Msample, Jackwraith, Nodens, Greg Aleknevicus, Pugnax555, Ah_Pook

More
18 Nov 2020 08:48 #316255 by Msample
“I’m altering the deal. Pray I don’t alter it further”
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoelCFC25, Rliyen, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus, jpat, mezike, Nodens

More
18 Nov 2020 09:04 #316257 by sornars
I'm under the impression that LCGs are fairly successful and I would assume, pretty profitable. Perhaps they'll be focussing on those? If the wider strategy is to acquire IP rights then an LCG for every IP means they can be the Funko Pop of card games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
18 Nov 2020 09:18 #316258 by Nodens
Or they are moving everything that's potentially profitable to the parent company before FFG gets run into the ground.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, Msample, Jackwraith

More
18 Nov 2020 09:30 #316261 by fightcitymayor

sornars wrote: I'm under the impression that LCGs are fairly successful and I would assume, pretty profitable. Perhaps they'll be focussing on those? If the wider strategy is to acquire IP rights then an LCG for every IP means they can be the Funko Pop of card games.

LCG's/CCG's are actually fairly developmentally intensive, and thus aren't something FFG could just toss off for any given hot-at-the-moment IP. Designing game mechanisms, developing a card-pool, organizing those cards into sets, determining what cards are released when, commissioning art, arranging production & distribution of dozens of packs/decks/expansions, promoting a competitive play environment, connecting with the end-user community of players. It takes a lot more work than just one-offing a boardgame. And to do it well takes $$$ to pay people who can reliably get it done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Msample, Jackwraith, sornars

More
18 Nov 2020 10:14 #316266 by Rliyen

Msample wrote: “I’m altering the deal. Pray I don’t alter it further”

I now require you to wear this sun dress and clown shoes.

I’m altering the deal. Pray I don’t alter it further.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
18 Nov 2020 11:11 #316269 by Nodens

Rliyen wrote:

Msample wrote: “I’m altering the deal. Pray I don’t alter it further”

I now require you to wear this sun dress and clown shoes.

I’m altering the deal. Pray I don’t alter it further.

I was thinking the same thing...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
18 Nov 2020 12:47 #316277 by Msample

fightcitymayor wrote:

sornars wrote: I'm under the impression that LCGs are fairly successful and I would assume, pretty profitable. Perhaps they'll be focussing on those? If the wider strategy is to acquire IP rights then an LCG for every IP means they can be the Funko Pop of card games.

LCG's/CCG's are actually fairly developmentally intensive, and thus aren't something FFG could just toss off for any given hot-at-the-moment IP. Designing game mechanisms, developing a card-pool, organizing those cards into sets, determining what cards are released when, commissioning art, arranging production & distribution of dozens of packs/decks/expansions, promoting a competitive play environment, connecting with the end-user community of players. It takes a lot more work than just one-offing a boardgame. And to do it well takes $$$ to pay people who can reliably get it done.

Yeah they seem to be winding down the LCG model from what I can see. There was a time when FFG had quite a few of them putting out product at the same time . Now, I think the only ones being supported with new content are Lord of the Rings and Arkham - and both are getting long in the tooth, relatively speaking.

Edit - and Marvel Champions. But the other two are likely much closer to the end of their life cycles than the beginning IMO. And I don't see any IPs om their portfolio spawning a new one. I think they were/are great for impulse buying in a brick and mortar retail environment, but with that being an uncertainty while the pandemic lasts, it may not be as lucrative as it once was.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, Nodens

More
18 Nov 2020 13:33 #316286 by ChristopherMD
I wonder if this signals the end of all of FFG's totally-not-boardgames Star Wars board games like Rebellion, Imperial Assault, Outer Rim type stuff. It's my understanding they published these as miniature games to avoid running into Hasbro's SW boardgame license. I assumed if the license was ever renewed or amended someone would push to close this loophole. Only time will tell I guess.

More
18 Nov 2020 13:41 #316288 by DarthJoJo

ChristopherMD wrote: I wonder if this signals the end of all of FFG's totally-not-boardgames Star Wars board games like Rebellion, Imperial Assault, Outer Rim type stuff. It's my understanding they published these as miniature games to avoid running into Hasbro's SW boardgame license. I assumed if the license was ever renewed or amended someone would push to close this loophole. Only time will tell I guess.

Imperial Assault is officially done. A Mandolorian expansion would probably sell alright and some more support for the app would be great, but both feel like longshots. Then again, they did make a Targaryen expansion for the Game of Thrones board game three years after second edition dropped.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds