Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

You May Also Like...

O
oliverkinne
October 16, 2020
B
boardgameinquisition
October 15, 2020
W
whowhatwhycast
October 14, 2020
T
thegiantbrain
October 13, 2020

Episode 56 - Two's Company

Podcasts & Videos
B
boardgameinquisition
October 08, 2020
T
thegiantbrain
October 06, 2020
G
GrantLyon
October 05, 2020
T
TabletopIsland
October 03, 2020
O
oliverkinne
October 02, 2020
B
boardgameinquisition
October 01, 2020
T
thegiantbrain
September 30, 2020

Brainwaves 56 - Pulsating News

Podcasts & Videos
L
LegendaryTactics
September 29, 2020

Epoch: Early Inventors Review

Podcasts & Videos
G
GrantLyon
September 28, 2020
O
oliverkinne
September 25, 2020
B
boardgameinquisition
September 24, 2020

Isle of Cats - Grant's Game Recs

U Updated
Isle of Cats - Grant's Game Recs

Podcast/Video Details

Channel Name

Game Information

Designer
Players
1 - 6
There Will Be Games

The Isle of Cats is the perfect game for people who know that every cat is a puzzle.

The Isle of Cats game recommendation.

There Will Be Games

Shellie "ubarose" Rose  (She/Her)
Managing Editor & Web Admin

Plays boardgames. Drinks bourbon. Writes code.

Articles by Shellie

 

Shellie "ubarose" Rose
Managing Editor & Web Admin

Articles by Shellie

 

Log in to comment

Josh Look's Avatar
Josh Look replied the topic: #315054 13 Oct 2020 09:29
This is a REALLY fun game.
the_jake_1973's Avatar
the_jake_1973 replied the topic: #315062 13 Oct 2020 10:48
This was a Kickstarter that really paid off for me. We love this game.
ubarose's Avatar
ubarose replied the topic: #315075 13 Oct 2020 14:32
I will be the minority opinion. Other than being super cute, we found it to be rather "meh." It did two things which I find unforgivable.

1. You get the most points by doing the most boring thing - using your resources to pay for and play lessons. It's far more fun to buy and place tiles.

2. The coolest bits (the cat meeples) are barely used.

For a drafting game where you draft and pay for bonus scoring cards, we prefer Carnival of Monsters. There are so many pattern making games that we enjoy more.
Josh Look's Avatar
Josh Look replied the topic: #315076 13 Oct 2020 14:45

ubarose wrote: 1. You get the most points by doing the most boring thing - using your resources to pay for and play lessons. It's far more fun to buy and place tiles.


I guess I don't see this as two separate things with one being more fun than the other. I really enjoyed kind of plotting out my scoring bonuses AND I enjoyed placing cats. I really found the lessons to be a breath of fresh air, giving me ownership of how I'm going to score points rather than shared scoring conditions.
ubarose's Avatar
ubarose replied the topic: #315083 13 Oct 2020 15:32

Josh Look wrote:

ubarose wrote: 1. You get the most points by doing the most boring thing - using your resources to pay for and play lessons. It's far more fun to buy and place tiles.


I guess I don't see this as two separate things with one being more fun than the other. I really enjoyed kind of plotting out my scoring bonuses AND I enjoyed placing cats. I really found the lessons to be a breath of fresh air, giving me ownership of how I'm going to score points rather than shared scoring conditions.


It's very much a personal preference. Objectively it is good game. I don't hate it or anything. I'd play it if, when we have f2f game group again, someone suggested it. But personally, it just doesn't hold its own against a half dozen other games on my self that we find to be more fun. That's the down side of playing games for 20+ years and having a large collection. New stuff has to be extraordinary just to get an edge on old favorites. Good doesn't cut it anymore.
Josh Look's Avatar
Josh Look replied the topic: #315091 13 Oct 2020 17:53
This is going on an off topic direction to some extent, but few games are important. That's not only true of new games, but the most old ones, too. They may be fun, but the fun extends only to the learning period. The important games are the ones that manage to overcome that. To the additional disadvantage of older games, the design is dated. I'm interested in older games, but absolutely NOT dated design. This makes the "good isn't good enough" argument nor worth chasing to me because it kind of ends up in a "why play any games at all?" sort of place.

The commitment to older games (read "Ameritrash games") like they're some sort of sacred text that should never ever be spoken poorly of or thrown out is the #1 reason why I don't post here anymore. Too much old guard attitude still. I get the feeling that nobody is actually excited about playing games anymore, they'd rather bitch and moan about there being too many new games, clutching their garbage FFG games from 15 years ago as if their behavior is actually admirable or constructive. I can't do that

Anyway, Isle of Cats...
ubarose's Avatar
ubarose replied the topic: #315103 14 Oct 2020 00:58

Josh Look wrote: This is going on an off topic direction to some extent, but few games are important. That's not only true of new games, but the most old ones, too. They may be fun, but the fun extends only to the learning period. The important games are the ones that manage to overcome that. To the additional disadvantage of older games, the design is dated. I'm interested in older games, but absolutely NOT dated design. This makes the "good isn't good enough" argument nor worth chasing to me because it kind of ends up in a "why play any games at all?" sort of place.

The commitment to older games (read "Ameritrash games") like they're some sort of sacred text that should never ever be spoken poorly of or thrown out is the #1 reason why I don't post here anymore. Too much old guard attitude still. I get the feeling that nobody is actually excited about playing games anymore, they'd rather bitch and moan about there being too many new games, clutching their garbage FFG games from 15 years ago as if their behavior is actually admirable or constructive. I can't do that

Anyway, Isle of Cats...


I think you are projecting a bit on what other games we would prefer to play over Isle of Cats. The games that we would choose to pull out over Isle of Cats would include: Ingenious (2004), Blokus (2000), Sagrada (2017), Alhambra (2003), and Carnival of Monsters (2019). I acknowledge that the preference for Ingenious, Blokus and Alhambra is that we have been playing them together as a family for 15 years, and it is hard for any similar new game to compete with that kind of personal history.

I like playing new games. If I didn't I wouldn't have Sagrada and Carnival of Monsters on our shelves. It's just that I'm getting pickier about playing new games a second time, and even more selective about buying them.

I would be very surprised if you still have Isle of Cats on your shelf 5 years from now. I'm fairly certain we will still be playing Ingenious, Blokus, Alhambra, Sagrada and Carnival of Monsters.
GrantLyon's Avatar
GrantLyon replied the topic: #315343 19 Oct 2020 11:56
I'm a big proponent of playing the games you love. There's so many good games out there, why waste time on a game you don't love just because it has hype?