Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

Gaming on Tabletop Simulator

More
23 Sep 2020 11:43 #314442 by Gary Sax
I have some shit going down too. I want to make these Wednesdays work, they're a big stress relief. I'll be around next week and post again about it here as the time approaches.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2020 12:58 #314453 by Ah_Pook
If anyone's interested in a game of Marvel Champions hit me up
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 Sep 2020 11:10 - 30 Sep 2020 11:14 #314672 by Gary Sax
Bump, I'm planning on being around tonight at 7pm pst. If you're new and want to play something, please send me a friend request on discord: Steve M
#5806. Love having new faces.

I do also want to open the floor for games, I feel like we're playing games that I want to play these days by default and it's turning people off. Here are some possibilities, but I will learn virtually any game, please add any you want to play. I know some of the crew might be getting sick of the stuff we play or turned off of regular rotation games:

Things I've played on TTS:
Root
Oath
Pax Pamir
Pax Renaissance
Empyreal: Spells and Steam
Merchant of Venus

I've played in person, has TTS, could teach:
Argent the Consortium
Xia (paid DLC game)
Clash of Cultures

Pure wishlist stuff that has TTS:
Flotilla
Sidereal Confluence (hard to manage)

Ah_Pook mentions:
Marvel Champions
Last edit: 30 Sep 2020 11:14 by Gary Sax.

More
30 Sep 2020 11:29 #314673 by Not Sure

Gary Sax wrote: Bump, I'm planning on being around tonight at 7pm pst. If you're new and want to play something, please send me a friend request on discord: Steve M
#5806. Love having new faces.

I do also want to open the floor for games, I feel like we're playing games that I want to play these days by default and it's turning people off. Here are some possibilities, but I will learn virtually any game, please add any you want to play. I know some of the crew might be getting sick of the stuff we play or turned off of regular rotation games:

Things I've played on TTS:
Root
Oath
Pax Pamir
Pax Renaissance
Empyreal: Spells and Steam
Merchant of Venus

I've played in person, has TTS, could teach:
Argent the Consortium
Xia (paid DLC game)
Clash of Cultures

Pure wishlist stuff that has TTS:
Flotilla
Sidereal Confluence (hard to manage)

Ah_Pook mentions:
Marvel Champions

Flotilla has been on my radar to try out since its brief spotlight around here, I'd be in for that. That might be my top pick out of your list.

I haven't played Clash of Cultures in years, but that's a favorite too (although I recall it running long). Pretty much anything there would be fine with me. Open to any other suggestions too.

More
01 Oct 2020 01:44 - 01 Oct 2020 01:51 #314704 by Gary Sax
Not Sure and I played some 2p Clash of Cultures, which was a blast from the past on my shelf. We fucked up some rules but had things mostly correct by the end. The engine is still very solid at its core, but the questions I have around the thing are about how by the end game you have 20 different powers which activate on different conditions sitting in front of you... feels like a game you really need to be playing consistently to remember all your triggers.

Not Sure kicked my butt pretty badly! I would like to play this again sometime, iirc ScottF has been playing it.
Last edit: 01 Oct 2020 01:51 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure

More
01 Oct 2020 11:54 #314719 by Not Sure
Yeah, the complexity ramp-up between T1 and T6 of that game in "available options" is definitely some future shock.

I had some good draws on objectives in like T2/T3 that lined up with my "research-heavy" early game. I think board and advance points were pretty evenly split, and the score difference was almost entirely in objective points.

I'd like to put that into more regular rotation since we spent the time to re-learn it, and possibly even play the expansion material. For years it's done nothing but sit on my shelf and occasionally mock me about its aftermarket price.

More
01 Oct 2020 12:39 #314721 by Gary Sax
I'm good to do that, I'd like to put it through its paces. I have it rated super highly on BGG and it has been a while.

One big thing that stuck out for me was that Tabletop Simulator is a tough lift since there's so much critical info on the tech sheet. TTS gets weak imo when you need to have a consistent high resolution view of the whole board state like in real life and I was feeling it this game on that account.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
01 Oct 2020 13:39 #314723 by Not Sure
Yeah, lots of zooming. I had the tech sheet practically full-screened half the time (thinking back I should have set a camera point on it...)

I was messing with Flotilla before we started and that was even worse. Lots of little stuff all over the place on that game. That feels like most of the time add in playing TTS, just zooming around to be able to read some tiny text or even see what that two-pixel pictogram is.

More
01 Oct 2020 14:03 #314724 by Scott_F
Yeah I've played Clash of Cultures maybe 5 times now on TTS. I like it a lot and the changes for the new edition all sound like smart improvements. But the new rules don't sound entirely compatible with the mod as some techs and buildings have changed. Games consistently run pretty long, around 4 hours, with 4 people because of how many times someone has to say "wait wait, I forgot I got this bonus" or "wait I should've done an event on my turn".

More
01 Oct 2020 15:36 - 01 Oct 2020 18:37 #314730 by Gary Sax
Yeah, we made about 3 1/2 but that was with not remembering the rules.

We both have the old edition and the expansion, so the mod was homely but pretty comfortable to us once we got rolling. Most of the changes I saw were to combat and we remembered how to do the old combat already so it wasn't a big deal. There was also at least one important initial change, making your first city happy to start, but that was used as a variant before already so nbd.

It's close enough I'd have to think hard about upgrading, tbh, though I can definitely see there's some room around the edges to improve things.
Last edit: 01 Oct 2020 18:37 by Gary Sax.

More
01 Oct 2020 16:14 - 01 Oct 2020 16:17 #314732 by Not Sure
Haven't even read the new rules. The old ones seem to have gone down the memory hole, but we were able to piece it together from the Universal Head reference card.

If the tech trees have changed, that will definitely need an update.

I think our game time was closer to 3h after we ran through the rules and setup (and I was in beard-scratcher mode a few times, I'll admit). I think it would tighten up dramatically with a couple of plays.

I thought the module worked pretty well given that it hasn't been touched in 2 years, and the state of module building has advanced a lot since then.

Considering how shelf-toady it's been, it's also a hard sell for me to upgrade as well. I seem to recall discussing this when the new edition came out. If it's 95% the same, that tests even my toad limits. The chances I'll get either edition out on the table are pretty low, so the differences are about zero minus zero.
Last edit: 01 Oct 2020 16:17 by Not Sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
13 Oct 2020 13:56 #315073 by Gary Sax
ScottF and I are planning on playing a game of Argent the Consortium tomorrow night at 7, if anyone else is interested.

More
22 Oct 2020 01:24 #315426 by Gary Sax
Had a blast with Pamir earlier this week and Argent this evening with ScottF and his friend. Thanks all!

More
27 Oct 2020 11:30 #315599 by Gary Sax
fyi, I'm busy this Wednesday since I'm leaving all weekend for the remote grand canyon north rim all weekend and have to get ahead on work. Maybe we can get something together the week after.

More
21 Nov 2020 22:06 - 23 Nov 2020 11:42 #316427 by Gary Sax

Gary Sax wrote: My Discord username is: Steve M#5806

Steam name is: garysax11

Feel free to friend either one/both and we can play tabletop simulator.

I haven't heard of bullet, but I'd be willing to try.

A bump now that the holiday season is around the corner and some people might have some time off.

Here's my discord and steam name if anyone wants to game or plan something. I have a little server a number of these games have been played and organized on, friend me on discord and I'll invite you.
Last edit: 23 Nov 2020 11:42 by Gary Sax.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds