October 09, 2023
2482 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

It Came From the Tabletop! - Unmatched: Cobble & Fog, Railways of the World and Pan Am

More
23 Jul 2020 09:30 #312421 by Josh Look
Intro/Outro by Minibosses
Consider supporting us on ...

In an attempt to bring a quick end to the seemingly endless nightmare that is 2020, Josh declares that his Best Games of Year list is ready with Unmatched: Cobble and Fog and Pan Am. Meanwhile Al has revisted an old favorite with Railways of the World (aka Railroad Tycoon: The Board Game).

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al, WadeMonnig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2020 08:58 #312422 by drewcula
I had the opportunity to play-test Cobble and Fog last year. Admittedly, my contributions were moot. It was a pretty polished game by the time I played it. I believe only a few adjustments were made about the fog tokens and some secret passage locations.

My larger point; Restoration Games is totally pro. I've had my frustrations in the past regarding a convention booth set-up, and my disappointment in missing sidekick miniatures. But those issues are minor.

They have a great team assembled. Their production value is top notch. Their games reflect it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, engineer Al

More
24 Jul 2020 22:45 #312457 by engineer Al

drewcula wrote: Restoration Games is totally pro.

I agree. I'm having hard time resisting this one, and I already have Epic Duels!!

More
25 Jul 2020 09:54 #312466 by drewcula
Epic Duels was solely responsible for me getting back into gaming.
Full stop.

From Epic Duels, it was a short step into Heroscape. Afterwards, there really was no going back.

I still have my copies of Epic Duels & Heroscape. They continue to "bring me joy."
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

More
25 Jul 2020 22:04 #312490 by engineer Al

drewcula wrote: I still have my copies of Epic Duels & Heroscape. They continue to "bring me joy."

I get that. Heroscape hasn't been played here in many, many years. Nonetheless, it still feels good to see it sitting on the shelf. Never a "toad", just an old friend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, drewcula

More
25 Jul 2020 22:08 #312491 by Gary Sax
I love railways of the world, it was my first hobby game as I got back into tabletop, I'll be sure to listen to Al's thoughts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, engineer Al, WadeMonnig

More
25 Jul 2020 23:57 - 26 Jul 2020 00:01 #312493 by Sagrilarus
We have RR Tycoon in our group but I can’t play it. I’ve played three or four times (years ago) and enjoyed it, but there’s five or six guys that have played 30 or 40 times and are complete sharks. The cards turn over at the start of the game and they’re all talking favored strategies and the like. I’m a spectator at best and they get impatient with inexperienced players.

I try to bring the game out when they’re busy or not there, but when the box hits the table they all drop everything to play! They call each other. They just show up from nowhere. I’m boxed out of Railroad Tycoon.

Seems I need to try Unmatched. The game’s title is curious, has anyone considered it? You’re mixing and matching opponents.

You guys are right on the money with level of detail in your exposition. Keeps the show hopping.

I still have my copies of Epic Duels & Heroscape. They continue to "bring me joy."

Just knowing they’re there in the garage brings me joy. I’m smiling gently right now.
Last edit: 26 Jul 2020 00:01 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, engineer Al

More
26 Jul 2020 19:19 #312502 by engineer Al

Gary Sax wrote: I love railways of the world, it was my first hobby game as I got back into tabletop, I'll be sure to listen to Al's thoughts.

SPOILER ALERT: I love it too!!!

More
26 Jul 2020 19:28 #312503 by engineer Al

Sagrilarus wrote: I’m boxed out of Railroad Tycoon.

Well that sucks! Playing any less familiar game with opponents who have played a lot is always frustrating, but especially so with a game like this that takes a while to play. Losing for two hours is rarely fun. Similar to what I said a while back about DUNE, this is a game that you need to LEARN with a group. This is a game from a time before everybody had shelves and shelves full of games, because there just weren't that many games to be had! It's a game that is meant to be played over and over with opportunities for new strategies and new understanding as you learn to play. Might I recommend that you play this one with your family? I think you would all have a super time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
04 Aug 2020 11:45 #312781 by Josh Look
I’ll make a much bigger announcement on the next episode, but I’ve started an ICFTT! Discord channel. Our listeners are coming in from all over and I want to give everyone a place to connect with Al and I more directly.

ICFTT! Discord
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 Aug 2020 01:50 #313412 by bendgar
I just played my first (and second) game of Railways of the World tonight and wow. This was the first game in a long time that I was able to learn, teach and play competitively (twice) in a 5 hour time period. Thanks for the recommendation. Good game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, engineer Al

More
24 Aug 2020 02:58 #313428 by mc
Yeah I've been cracking it out the last couple of weeks with my kids. Hopefully it will be the nail in the coffin for TTR which I have never been enamoured with at all.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds