October 09, 2023
2448 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2647 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Welcome to one of the oldest board game communities on the Internet. That may sound like hyperbole but it really is true.

We are really happy to have you here. Unfortunately, being online we can't bond with you over a game so you'd know right away how happy we are to meet you. For now, you'll just have to take our word for it.

This site has always thrived on lively discussion and spirited but civil debate. We hope that newcomers here will find a welcoming atmosphere where game enthusiasts of all levels of experience and commitment will have something to add to the conversation. You never need to prove your “gamer cred” here. Whether you have been playing board games for a few months or a few decades; whether you have a huge collection or a small one; whether you have been a member here for years or just joined today – your opinion is valued here.

We know that it can be intimidating to jump into a new community and want to assure you that this is NOT the kind of forum where people will tell you that you posted something in the wrong place, or that you should have found an existing thread on the topic, or that you shouldn’t have resurrected an old thread.

So if you find a thread or an article discussion that interests you, whether it is old or new, feel free to jump in. Want to discuss a specific game or board gaming related topic just start a new topic. If you don’t know which forum to put it in, just make your best guess (we really don’t care all that much. It’s easy enough for a moderator to move it or merge it, if necessary).

A good place to get started is by introducing yourself in the “New Members Introduce Yourself” thread (below) or by telling us what you have been playing in the “What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?" thread ( therewillbe.games/forum/35-mos-eisley-ca...ave-you-been-playing ).

Have fun, and we look forward to hearing from you.

New Members Introduce Yourself

More
24 Oct 2011 19:35 #106338 by Ken B.

boothwah wrote:

Hey man, I invited you YEARS ago. You insisted on fondling your balls and barfing at people passing by instead.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2011 23:05 - 24 Oct 2011 23:06 #106368 by boothwah

Ken B. wrote:

Hey man, I invited you YEARS ago. You insisted on fondling your balls and barfing at people passing by instead.

Haters gonna hate.....
Last edit: 24 Oct 2011 23:06 by boothwah. Reason: TOO MUCH LOLCAT R BAD

More
24 Oct 2011 23:56 #106372 by Black Barney
YAY BOOTHBY!

oh boy, I can't wait to see a rightful counterpart to kenneth around here.

now let's celebrate with a rousing game of Shower Rescue

More
25 Oct 2011 03:00 #106384 by boothwah
Apparently, I've had a membership here for 2 years. Sometimes, I've popped on to check out reviews and see if Ken B. is still insufferably silly.

Since Ken was negligent in renewing his restraining order, I'll prolly contribute some.

I've played pen and paper RP since red box D&D, and have been boardgaming since I found out there were more gaming manufacturers than Milton Bradley (although you got to give props to HeroQuest.)

When MtG hit the shelves I went card flopping nutz, had the power 9 and a full set of jewelry and played the heck out of that, eventually getting into every weird TCG that hit the market for years. If I had to pick a top 5 for gameplay and fun they'd be:

1. Vs. System
2. Doomtown
3. LOTRtcg
4. 7 seas
5. WoWtcg

Nowadays, I don't like the smell of 14 year olds and their BO problems, so I really don't dothe card flopping thing anymore, other than to subject my daughters (11, 15) to the occasional punishment of pulling boxes out of the garage and learning playing old decks with me. We've moved on to tabletop boardgames, and play an evergrowing number of Euro and traditional board games. Go, Puerto Rico, Ticket to Ride, Settlers, and Carcassone end up most often at the top of the rotation (along with the occasional soul sucking round of Taboo/Scattergories/other parlour games when it's my wife's turn to pick) and we are looking at trying out Agricola and Dominion.

I consider Ken B. a friend, in spite of the fact that he once traded me a pile of WCW Nitro trading cards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Black Barney, imrahil327

More
27 Oct 2011 03:46 #106536 by maxoftat
Uh oh! Here come the Mexicans!

So, does this place have a blank thread?

- EJ
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
27 Oct 2011 11:29 #106546 by Ken B.

maxoftat wrote: Uh oh! Here come the Mexicans!

So, does this place have a blank thread?

- EJ

OMG IT'S ENRIQUE

More
27 Oct 2011 15:14 #106554 by maxoftat
BlackBarney is always telling me how much he enjoys this site. Life in the shadows of the Internet is getting a little dull. I'm looking forward to conversations with decent human beings. (And an occasion blank thread post.)

- EJ

More
27 Oct 2011 15:45 #106557 by Black Barney
Yeah, you'll have to ask Ken about any potential blank thread. Uba would never go for that I suspect.

But yeah, the vidja-game talk here is great and top-drawer. And you might actually get some really good chess talk for you for once.

there's no politico here either which is terrific. It's a fun site.

More
27 Oct 2011 16:08 #106559 by maxoftat
To be fair, there was chess talk in the shadows as well. The problem was that a jerk named Boothwah would always make fun of us and kill the discussion. I'm looking forward to not having to worry about that guy here. ;)

- EJ
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notahandle

More
27 Oct 2011 17:51 #106564 by boothwah

maxoftat wrote: To be fair, there was chess talk in the shadows as well. The problem was that a jerk named Boothwah would always make fun of us and kill the discussion. I'm looking forward to not having to worry about that guy here. ;)

- EJ

Chess?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, imrahil327

More
27 Oct 2011 18:07 #106566 by SaMoKo
My father forced me to play chess a LOT when I was a kid. Lessons, books, tournaments, the whole thing. I'm good at it, but never want to see a chess board again in my life. I felt like one of those kids smacked in the hand with a ruler when they hit the wrong piano key. Except I'd be forced to study if I made a misstep in a Sicilian defense variation. And now that computers have won chess, what's the point?

More
27 Oct 2011 18:25 #106572 by Black Barney
i miss Battlechess. That was the only time I enjoyed playing chess. Or Archon if that counts as chess

/runs
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
27 Oct 2011 18:43 #106574 by SaMoKo
I can only imagine the poor tortured children of BGG being forced to play Caylus like I was chess. I weep for them.

More
27 Oct 2011 19:00 #106575 by ubarose

Black Barney wrote: Yeah, you'll have to ask Ken about any potential blank thread. Uba would never go for that I suspect.

I don't make the rules. I just execute the decisions made by the staff once consensus is reached. The only things that I tend to have strong opinions about regarding this site are techincal issues and stuff that makes excessive and unnecessary work much work for me.

More
27 Oct 2011 19:11 #106577 by Notahandle
So we won't be getting Mariachi background music then?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.328 seconds