October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Welcome to one of the oldest board game communities on the Internet. That may sound like hyperbole but it really is true.

We are really happy to have you here. Unfortunately, being online we can't bond with you over a game so you'd know right away how happy we are to meet you. For now, you'll just have to take our word for it.

This site has always thrived on lively discussion and spirited but civil debate. We hope that newcomers here will find a welcoming atmosphere where game enthusiasts of all levels of experience and commitment will have something to add to the conversation. You never need to prove your “gamer cred” here. Whether you have been playing board games for a few months or a few decades; whether you have a huge collection or a small one; whether you have been a member here for years or just joined today – your opinion is valued here.

We know that it can be intimidating to jump into a new community and want to assure you that this is NOT the kind of forum where people will tell you that you posted something in the wrong place, or that you should have found an existing thread on the topic, or that you shouldn’t have resurrected an old thread.

So if you find a thread or an article discussion that interests you, whether it is old or new, feel free to jump in. Want to discuss a specific game or board gaming related topic just start a new topic. If you don’t know which forum to put it in, just make your best guess (we really don’t care all that much. It’s easy enough for a moderator to move it or merge it, if necessary).

A good place to get started is by introducing yourself in the “New Members Introduce Yourself” thread (below) or by telling us what you have been playing in the “What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?" thread ( therewillbe.games/forum/35-mos-eisley-ca...ave-you-been-playing ).

Have fun, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Video Postage

More
31 Jan 2012 21:31 #114810 by Hello Gregor
Video Postage was created by Hello Gregor
Is there a particularly good place on this website to post videos about games?
The following user(s) said Thank You: epaparellanto

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2012 21:50 - 31 Jan 2012 21:52 #114816 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re: Video Postage
The Blogs . There's no shortcut button. you have to type in the host tags. For example, if it's on youtube you have to type the tags video id in between:
{youtube}FhJH8OTu1n8{/youtube}

The forums under the correct game genre. Just click on the button next to the ebay button that is supposed to look like a bit of film and you get >

Last edit: 31 Jan 2012 21:52 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hello Gregor, epaparellanto

More
31 Jan 2012 21:51 - 31 Jan 2012 22:12 #114817 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re: Video Postage
If it's a video tutorial on the merits of Caylus, you should try www.youtube.com and not even consider that this is the place. :)
Last edit: 31 Jan 2012 22:12 by SuperflyPete.

More
31 Jan 2012 22:26 #114827 by Hello Gregor
Replied by Hello Gregor on topic Re: Video Postage

ubarose wrote: The Blogs . There's no shortcut button. you have to type in the host tags. For example, if it's on youtube you have to type the tags video id in between:

{youtube}FhJH8OTu1n8{/youtube}

The forums under the correct game genre. Just click on the button next to the ebay button that is supposed to look like a bit of film and you get >

The fact that you picked Calandale as your example makes me think I may be in the right place. My only hesitation involves the comment following. I have no interest in Caylus, but I have very little interest in categorical exclusion, either. That's what I'm trying to get away from- not change brands.

More
31 Jan 2012 22:36 #114832 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: Video Postage
We're ecumenical, don't sweat it. KingPut is Crown Prince or Little Lord or some stupid thing for CAYLUS. Third place at WBC or something and everyone still likes him.

I prefer videos in the forums, because the commenting interface is so much better. I guess if you want to build a repository, a la BGWS, the Blogs are better as you can get to all, of your "threads" quickly.

More
31 Jan 2012 22:43 - 31 Jan 2012 23:01 #114833 by Hello Gregor
I suppose it'll depend then how well I get the hang of this interface. Is there a way to be easily notified if someone replies to something?

I'm noticing there aren't forums for particular games. I suppose that means the blog route is the way to go. I really don't want to get bogged down trying to categorize the games I review. We have come to the point where these categories are becoming meaningless.
Last edit: 31 Jan 2012 23:01 by Hello Gregor. Reason: More Information

More
31 Jan 2012 23:02 #114841 by MattFantastic
Replied by MattFantastic on topic Re: Video Postage
PETE'S THE BEST IN THE WORLD AND DON'T YOU FUCKING FORGET IT!

However, a TI3 plaque, now that is actually worth something.

Post it to the forums and if we like it we'll all hassle you to post it to a blog next time so it shows up on the front page, if we hate it, post it to a blog next time anyway and tell everyone to eat a bag of dicks.

More
31 Jan 2012 23:07 #114844 by Hello Gregor
Tell me who Pete is and I'll try not to forget. I'll try.

What forum would you recommend?

More
31 Jan 2012 23:24 #114847 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re: Video Postage

Hello Gregor wrote: Tell me who Pete is and I'll try not to forget. I'll try.

What forum would you recommend?

Pete's user name is KingPut. He was the second best Caylus player in the world for about 2 years.

If you post in the forums, put it in the correct genre. If it's video about Caylus, put it in Eurogames. If it's a video about Arkham Horror, put it in Ameritrash. If it's about Magic:the Gathering put it in CCGs. If you can't figure out what kind of game it is, who the hell do you think you are making videos about games. Just kidding. Put it in Games Catchall.

If you put it in the Blogs, it just goes in member blogs. You also get a personal link to all your blog entries which is: fortressat.com/blogs/my-blog/blogger/Hello%20Gregor

You can get notified of replies to a forum thread by clicking the 'check this box to be notified of replies to this topic'
If you really want to be notified about replies to a blog, I can set it up for you.

However, pretty much every one who has ever asked me how to get notified about comments or thread replies usually contacts me within 12 hours and begs me to tell them how to shut them off.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Hello Gregor, epaparellanto

More
31 Jan 2012 23:30 #114848 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re: Video Postage

Hello Gregor wrote: My only hesitation involves the comment following. I have no interest in Caylus, but I have very little interest in categorical exclusion, either. That's what I'm trying to get away from- not change brands.

Don't take that comment seriously.

More
01 Feb 2012 03:29 #114874 by Hello Gregor

ubarose wrote: Pete's user name is KingPut. He was the second best Caylus player in the world for about 2 years.

Wait.. So is he the best or the second best? I'm getting conflicting reports. How should I know what not to forget?

If you put it in the Blogs, it just goes in member blogs. You also get a personal link to all your blog entries which is: fortressat.com/blogs/my-blog/blogger/Hello%20Gregor

You can get notified of replies to a forum thread by clicking the 'check this box to be notified of replies to this topic'
If you really want to be notified about replies to a blog, I can set it up for you.

Thanks! I'd like that. Are the notifications via e-mail or are they intra-site?

More
01 Feb 2012 03:39 #114875 by Hello Gregor

Schweig! wrote: Don't take that comment seriously.

I will and I won't. There are lots of things to consider when deciding where to direct one's energies- the interface, the administration, the culture- the prevailing wind. In the brief time I've been here, I'm picking up a vibe akin to certain marginalized groups, that is, a vigilant pride in what is, perhaps, looked down upon by a larger group as well as an oppositional stance against some of the values of the larger group. It seems very natural to me. I find myself having to oppose values all the time (advertisements, cologne) in a negative manner just to keep from being turned slowly into what I loathe. What I worry about is how to whatever degree that stance pervades the place, whether, and how much, it may inhibit thoughts on the medium. I have some exploring to do.

More
01 Feb 2012 03:57 #114877 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Re: Video Postage
Wait a minute, are you for or against cologne?

More
01 Feb 2012 22:33 #114991 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re: Video Postage
How can you be against it? It has beautiful views from the top of the cathedral.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.673 seconds