October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2652 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Western Legends

More
03 Aug 2020 20:51 #312767 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Western Legends
What you just described re: playing with Ante Up, but having the board itself off limits, is pretty much the way we do it with less than 5 players.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2021 11:28 #327332 by ubarose
I received my Blood Money expansion Kickstarter yesterday. I wasn't expecting much of it, other than some additional characters and cards, but was very pleasantly surprised, and am very excited by what it contained.

The new characters and mechanics are clearly inspired by "Deadwood" (i.e. there is an Al Swearingen character) and you can get Legendary Points (VPs) by buying up property.

What I am most excited by is that the expansion includes variants that allow you to focus the game on the the aspects you want. So, for example, you can play focused on Outlaws vs Marshals, or Gamblers, or Ranching. There is also a 2 player variant played only on the small expansion board from Ante Up that focuses on Homesteading.

Also, the Kickstarter included a hard cover rulebook with all the rules for the core game and all the expansions, plus all the variants. I think this must have been a stretch goal, because I don't recall ordering it. I really appreciate this as the game has definitely evolved and there have been so many expansions, that keeping the rules straight has been a bit difficult.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, dysjunct, HiveGod, jpat, Jackwraith, mezike, hotseatgames, sornars, n815e

More
20 Oct 2021 12:40 #327333 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Western Legends
That sounds great. I'm kind of sorry my first experience was such a mediocre one. I should try it again sometime, but I don't know anyone who owns it around here. If Cthulhu Wars ever delivers, one of the additions was a hardback rulebook that includes everything, as well, which will be nice to have. It was $15, though, as opposed to a stretch goal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
20 Oct 2021 14:24 - 20 Oct 2021 14:24 #327335 by ubarose

Jackwraith wrote: I'm kind of sorry my first experience was such a mediocre one.

Due to Western Legends being kind of sandboxy, it can definitely result in a mediocre experience - just folks wandering around doing a bit of this, and a bit of that, with little player interaction, especially at lower player counts on that big board. I'm hoping that the variants provide focus, and makes the experience more consistently good. Although. looking them over, it will still require buy in from the players. Like just because you go into it agreeing that you are all going to play the Gunslinger variant, there doesn't seem to be anything preventing a player from jumping ship and going Homesteader, other than that their character's ability won't give them any homesteader advantages.
Last edit: 20 Oct 2021 14:24 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
21 Oct 2021 11:56 - 25 Oct 2021 07:47 #327347 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Western Legends

ubarose wrote: I received my Blood Money expansion Kickstarter yesterday. I wasn't expecting much of it, other than some additional characters and cards, but was very pleasantly surprised, and am very excited by what it contained.
What I am most excited by is that the expansion includes variants that allow you to focus the game on the the aspects you want. So, for example, you can play focused on Outlaws vs Marshals, or Gamblers, or Ranching. There is also a 2 player variant played only on the small expansion board from Ante Up that focuses on Homesteading.

That should've really been included with the Core game or the large Ante Up expansion, not another revenue-earning small expansion - I already had more than enough game content when they announced it so easily passed.

Also, the Kickstarter included a hard cover rulebook with all the rules for the core game and all the expansions, plus all the variants. I think this must have been a stretch goal, because I don't recall ordering it. I really appreciate this as the game has definitely evolved and there have been so many expansions, that keeping the rules straight has been a bit difficult.

Again something needed for everyone after their earlier rulebook issues, they should at least publish a pdf for everyone else.
Last edit: 25 Oct 2021 07:47 by southernman.

More
22 Oct 2021 09:03 #327357 by ubarose
It would be foolish of them not to make the consolidated rulebook and variants available as a pdf. I would be surprised if they didn't.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.619 seconds