October 09, 2023
2507 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2706 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game

More
15 Oct 2021 15:10 #327235 by DarthJoJo
I’ll put a vote in for Mandy for your wife. A five intellect needs minimal support to get going and three in willpower and agility gives her average resistance to treacheries. Her innate means you should always get the cards you need and can also help her teammate out when you need it. I’d opt for Survivor secondary as it evens out feel bad moments, but the most broken interactions are probably through Rogue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2021 16:03 - 15 Oct 2021 16:12 #327238 by ubarose
I really loved running Harvey Walters (if you have that investigator deck) when playing Dunwich. He fits thematically, being The Professor. He generates a really big hand of cards, so you always have options. He has a 7 health and an 8 sanity (15 total) which is one point better than all the others (14 total) except Joe Diamond, that extra 1 point of health or sanity can be critical. He starts with a 5 intellect and it is super easy to get him up to a 7. With that intellect along with Pathfinder, In the Know, Deduction and Seeking Answers, he can be a clue gathering machine. With events that add his awesome intellect to his combat or agility, he can avoid getting the snot kicked out of him. Plus, Pathfinder made him the hero of the The Essex County Express.

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 15 Oct 2021 16:12 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
15 Oct 2021 16:15 #327239 by ubarose
@DarthJoJo

I don't have Mandy yet, but she looks like she would be fun too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
15 Oct 2021 16:28 #327240 by Gary Sax
Mandy is also her favorite AH 2nd investigator and she seems to be universally considered ultra powered, so maybe that's the right choice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
15 Oct 2021 17:23 #327241 by sornars
I didn’t suggest Mandy only because search abilities require you to read every card and understand what they do which can be overwhelming for a relative noob. She’s a great investigator though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
15 Oct 2021 18:43 #327242 by DarthJoJo
That’s true, but it can be more manageable if she has two or three favorite cards she wants out quick. Then she only needs to read if she doesn’t find them.

More
15 Oct 2021 21:41 #327243 by Gary Sax
The options were presented. Trish it is. We're going double rogue because I'm using Tony.

More
16 Oct 2021 11:40 #327248 by DarthJoJo
Good luck. Both are really powerful, but I’d be too scared to bring two low-will investigators.

More
16 Oct 2021 14:23 - 16 Oct 2021 14:32 #327254 by Gary Sax
Yeah, I think that is a concern. Maybe I'll do someone other than Tony... Zoey probably makes the most sense for a bunch of reasons. We'll see.
Last edit: 16 Oct 2021 14:32 by Gary Sax.

More
17 Oct 2021 20:09 - 17 Oct 2021 21:18 #327264 by Gary Sax
This game is just such a covid comfort game. It and Oath. Just hugely valuable to me personally.

I think I've triangulated that Dream Eaters is my favorite campaign so far but I wish they'd give some warning, even in character, that you absolutely need to prioritize free movement cards and the like. I played the moon scenario and it didn't go *great* but it would have been suicide without safeguard, which is basically proving to be the weirdly best guardian card by a significant distance as I play more.
Last edit: 17 Oct 2021 21:18 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, DarthJoJo

More
25 Oct 2021 16:10 - 25 Oct 2021 16:11 #327425 by Gary Sax

sornars wrote: Last night I did a marathon session of the Point of No Return, Weaver of the Cosmos and Where the Gods Dwell to finish off my Dream Eaters campaign. I think PoNR and WotC were both excellent while WtGD was merely great.

In PoNR

WotC was an amazing finale.

WtGD was also a great finale, the combination of it with WoTC means the Dream Eaters finale is amongst the best of any of the campaigns. Despite never really getting setup properly and having a very slow start, the first half of this scenario went smoothly.

I originally felt that the combined campaigns just felt like two campaigns smushed together but the third Interlude does a good job of making the choices you made in both halves feel like they matter. I normally immediately play through a campaign a second time after wrapping up my first play through but the Dream Eaters felt so draining to play that despite me liking it quite a bit, I'll probably want to spend some time cooling off before going again. I might consider Innsmouth but I get the feeling that that campaign is also quite exhausting. I was originally set on building a Carolyn deck but Gary Sax's experience is putting me off that for now, I might consider going all in on Bless and Curse with Preston and Mateo instead

I just finished this too. I loved the last level of Dream Eaters in both campaigns too, definitely my favorite campaign overall though I have not tried Circle Undone yet. Completely agree about the length of the scenarios, it's basically my only negative about this campaign. It's weird because there were opportunities to dial it back; many of the scenarios have like multiple scenarios glued together a bit awkwardly. But overall just a great campaign, heartily recommend getting the campaign.
Last edit: 25 Oct 2021 16:11 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, DarthJoJo

More
27 Oct 2021 10:16 #327491 by DarthJoJo
Mark Bigney finally talked about why he doesn’t like Arkham on So Very Wrong About Games. Someone convinced him to try out the Revised Core Set, and he still doesn’t like how the game fights you by wasting your actions (stun in other words) and taking your cards.

He elaborated without card names, and I found it funny that I could predict what happened and name every card that hit him. First turn his Skids played Leo de Luca and immediately lost him to Crypt Chill. Then he was hit by Frozen in Fear. He went from four actions in the first turn to two by the third. Not surprisingly, Skids still struggles in the core environment. I could see getting sour from that.

More
27 Oct 2021 11:39 #327494 by Gary Sax
Yeah, weaknesses and a bunch of other stuff are often pretty direct lose a turns so I get it, the action efficiency of the game is so tight that that can be frustrating. Especially to the beginner for whom it seems obvious that you *have* to deal with all weaknesses the turn you get them... which isn't always true.

More
29 Oct 2021 21:36 - 29 Oct 2021 21:39 #327565 by Gary Sax
Nate and I did a teaching game together. It had me thinking about what an interesting balance these lcgs face to get into the game. On one hand, having a thinner card pool and simpler cards is ideal for learning without complex interactions... on the other hand the whole attraction of the system is the weird variety and combination play. Then you have considerations like deckbuilding which are potentially insanely overwhelming even for capital G gamers.. not obvious. I certainly struggled with it early in this very thread.
Last edit: 29 Oct 2021 21:39 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, sornars, Kmann

More
01 Nov 2021 10:26 - 01 Nov 2021 10:52 #327616 by Gary Sax

Oh, hey, they're completing the set this year! These are such an incredible value add, way way bigger than they have a right to be (vs. giving you like a new player card or something).

Now I just have to do an insanely expensive pnp print of all the parallel investigators, parallel personal card sets, and campaign stuff...
Last edit: 01 Nov 2021 10:52 by Gary Sax.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.401 seconds