October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game

More
03 Jul 2021 11:49 #324401 by Bernie
Replied by Bernie on topic Arkham Horror: The Card Game
I sorta feel your pain. While the campaign is going well. We have been swapping lead investigator. Sister Mary has 5 weakness cards in her deck and 3 mental trauma. Two I did to myself with the bonus xp mystic card. But it’s pretty wild.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2021 22:26 - 03 Jul 2021 22:31 #324411 by Gary Sax
Another game, this time in Dunwich Village. This may have been the game that put Arkham: LCG under the ground for my spouse and I. I don't know that I plan on getting it out again with her, maybe down the road but this was a profoundly unfun and frustrating game, made for a really bad Saturday night. We stopped early when it was clear we were done for.

We had a pretty easy time through the beginning to mid of the scenario, getting through the search part of the scenario competently.

Warning: Spoiler!

We made some bad calls, there's no doubt about it.

Warning: Spoiler!

I flat out don't think this game is fun if you're looking for a casual experience with prebuilts they supply. I think you need to deckbuild and intimately understand what your deck is trying to do. Overall, it has a much bigger gotcha factor than even Arkham 2nd edition or Eldritch Horror. It especially has a ton of "lose a turn" mechanics which don't literally make you lose a turn but in practice lock you down to do nothing on your turn but deal with whatever the problem is since you're so incredible action limited and even your successful attacks do 1 damage---you only have 3 actions! Nor do I think first plays of scenarios are fun, as they ramp the gotcha up to 11. When you fail in Arkham LCG it is basically by being completely tied up for all of your actions, accomplishing nothing, and having the board fill up with more and more shit you can't deal with. Not in an exciting way. Just in a grinding, shitty way.

I'm glad people like the game and I see so much of what others see in it... but it almost got a Barnes table sweep for us. It has a ton of features I really like, I may still play it by myself for challenge fun with decks I've built, knowing what to expect in the scenarios, but for me I'm not sure it'll get back on the table in a normal way.
Last edit: 03 Jul 2021 22:31 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, sornars, DarthJoJo

More
04 Jul 2021 04:16 #324413 by mezike
Replied by mezike on topic Arkham Horror: The Card Game
Man that’s rough. I kind of made peace with the fail state being a feature of the game, the Lovecraftian horror that everything will always end badly, and I do love that you can continue a campaign despite technically failing a scenario. But that doesn’t help when progressing the actual chapter in play stops being fun. It’s like playing a video game without a save-state because there is no easy way to unpick what has passed without going back completely to the start with that “oh no, not this again” feeling. If I was in that same situation solo I would probably quit and restart, with my kids I’d be inclined to cheat just to put the game back onto the fun rails for them again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
04 Jul 2021 06:22 - 04 Jul 2021 06:35 #324414 by sornars
I'm sad to hear you're having such a rough time and I completely get how the game can completely hose you out of nowhere sometimes. My recommendation is to adopt the mindset that blind playthroughs are a bit like teaching games - I don't expect to win and I just have fun exploring the systems and surprises. When I play for a second time I can plan around what I'm expecting. That obviously presupposes that I will play a scenario again and is not a particularly casual play to play. As a concrete example, upthread I described my earlier playthroughs of the Forgotten Age and Circle Undone campaigns - I was having a miserable time but after a replay my estimation of both campaigns rose dramatically.

As for the standard decks - they're not great and if the power level for them isn't good for the campaign then it may not be fun. As mezike suggests, I recommend playing a bit fast and loose with the rules. Feel free to swap in a more tuned deck you've found on ArkhamDB if it'll help you keep going; copying someone else's deck is pretty much the same as playing with a precon. Or take a previous suggestion to swap around level 0 cards between scenarios without spending XP to help tune the deck towards what you're missing (like maybe another gun or two for Roland).

Having said that, if embracing a likely failed outcome isn't fun for you, particularly on first playthroughs, then the game may unfortunately continue to frustrate you.
Last edit: 04 Jul 2021 06:35 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
04 Jul 2021 21:53 - 04 Jul 2021 22:00 #324423 by Gary Sax
We had a talk about this today, with cooler heads. She said she'd like to construct a deck and restart sometime. I think we're going to read ahead when we get to new scenarios as well. I was a bit surprised, I thought it was done for.

I was putting the cards of our decks back and getting increasingly annoyed about the base deck only having one copy of some key cards. Tempting to get a new copy of the base before they switch format, it annoys me to have one 44, one vicious blow, one Milan Christopher, etc. I'll almost certainly be playing more even if my spouse doesn't.
Last edit: 04 Jul 2021 22:00 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, DarthJoJo

More
05 Jul 2021 10:21 #324432 by DarthJoJo
I hope building your own decks turn the game around for you. The recommended builds are really bad, and an easy chaos bag can only do so much when you keep drawing dead cards and can’t find a good weapon. If you want a little insight into what’s coming up in your next scenario, Giant Brain’s Beyond the Veil series here could be a great resource. It might be too deep a dive as they get into specifics and interactions of individual encounter cards, but still provide a thorough overview of what to expect in the broad strokes, too. If you want deckbuilding advice on the campaign level, please ask.

More
07 Jul 2021 22:49 #324506 by Bernie
Yikes. I forgot that the pre cons only have one copy of class cards. Yeah. That makes things really really hard.

One way I heard the game described recently is that the offense of your investigators is getting clues. Defense is dealing with monsters / encounter cards. Generally clue gathering moves the scenario foreword.

Honestly at this point I would not play again until you have new decks as your current ones are killing your fun with the game. Your decks have to be Wildly inconsistent.

More
07 Jul 2021 22:55 - 08 Jul 2021 10:59 #324507 by Gary Sax
I might pull the trigger on the investigator packs and a second core but it has been feeling peak board game crazy person to buy in more on a game that had produced mixed results.
Last edit: 08 Jul 2021 10:59 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bernie

More
08 Jul 2021 03:27 #324511 by mezike
Replied by mezike on topic Arkham Horror: The Card Game
Before buying more I definitely recommend looking at some of the deck builds on arkhamdb. I ended up with a second core by accident but tbh it’s only been useful because I’m running three investigators; you can also just use slightly higher level versions of cards like Emergency Cache or follow the substitution list that the best adb decks usually have, it’s not like it matters for the first scenario and you can tweak again for the second with the experience you earn. I’ve hovered over the investigator packs but what has held me off is that there are loads of highly rated decks on adb don’t seem to touch those cards much so you can definitely run a great game without them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Bernie

More
08 Jul 2021 15:05 #324524 by Bernie
Here is the simple truth on the investigator decks.

With only one core they are gold. They have cookies of some of the best cards from core. In your case Gary that’s pure upside.

Next thing to consider is that they are better the smaller your card pool is. I think you have Core, all of dunwitch and maybe circle at this point. For any given class it may double or close to your effective pool for that class. That’s a lot.

Next, the investigations in them rock. Aside from Harvy. And with only 3 seekers he should even be on.

It may just be worth picking up 2. One each for the two classes you plan to play.

Good decks to look at on Arkham do would be the structure series. They may be 2 core. I can’t recall off hand. But they are new player friendly.

I know we all keep harping on it. It I think it will be a bit of a different experience with some decks that work and have consistently.

More
08 Jul 2021 15:07 #324525 by Bernie
See if you can hang on for core 2.0 or atleast the wave of players maybe moving core 1.0 and getting one cheep.

As stated in my last post I think you will find greater value in 2 investigator packs than a core. For what it’s worth.

More
08 Jul 2021 15:51 - 09 Jul 2021 00:25 #324526 by Gary Sax
So they have copies of stuff like the 44 or a bunch of the other one copy base game player cards? I must have misunderstood before, that's very helpful.

Then I wouldn't bother with a core. I need to go look at the actual cards in these things.

edit: oh yeah, they do. Not all of them (no 2nd .44) but they have lvl 0 physical training, vicious blow, etc etc for most of those cards. I'm definitely getting these (right now ha).

edit 2: still some annoying oversights, no 2nd leo de luca, milan christopher, several other powerful cards you'd want 2 of that are in a lot of constructed decks. Oh well. This handles a lot of needing 2nd copies of suited basics.
Last edit: 09 Jul 2021 00:25 by Gary Sax.

More
08 Jul 2021 22:33 - 08 Jul 2021 22:34 #324535 by Gary Sax
Could someone clear something up for me? In the arkham cards app it lists "limited slots" and "splash cards" in addition to the normal list of cards from an arkham db deck I download. What does that mean?
Last edit: 08 Jul 2021 22:34 by Gary Sax.

More
09 Jul 2021 02:08 - 09 Jul 2021 04:59 #324536 by sornars
Limited slots would be your fixed body slots. You only have two hands, one body, one accessory, one ally and two arcane slots so packing four magnifying glasses would be a waste unless you plan to lose them.

Limited slots refer to deckbuilding limits, e.g. the Dunwich investigators can include up to five out of class cards from any other class. That’s just the app enforcing the deckbuilding requirements.

Splash cards refer to the out of class cards that contribute towards your limited slots. e.g. If you’re looking at a Mandy deck then that’s specifically about the secondary class you’ve chosen for her. She can only have ten of those so her splash cards will also be limited to ten.

In the app these are listed in situ with the rest of the cards as well as at the bottom for convenience.

Unrelated tips, since you’re playing physically you can input the packs you own into the app so only relevant cards are listed. Once you’re happy with a deck, use the checklist in the deck sidebar while actually constructing it to make things easier. It should cover the most common patterns for sorting your collection.
Last edit: 09 Jul 2021 04:59 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
09 Jul 2021 07:42 - 09 Jul 2021 13:10 #324539 by sornars
Three of the new new investigators in Edge of the Earth have been fully spoiled and I'm loving the theme of growing into different classes as their exposure to the mythos grows. It's super thematic.

I love support characters but find that they don't have a home in 2p, which is the main way I play, but I think you could make Bob Jenkins work in a duo. He seems pretty funny thematically and to play.

www.reddit.com/r/arkhamhorrorlcg/comment...h_cards_revealed_on/
Last edit: 09 Jul 2021 13:10 by sornars.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.370 seconds