October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Marvel Champions

More
01 Oct 2020 22:14 - 02 Oct 2020 07:22 #314737 by Ah_Pook
In the continuing saga of my trying to beat standalone Expert Zola w/ Hydra Patrol, I finally did it! I swapped out Ms. Marvel for Hawkeye, and not having to juggle back and forth to alter ego like you want to with Ms. Marvel certainly made things somewhat easier. I do still think Ms. Marvel is super fun though. Hawkeye is a beast in terms of efficient damage, and putting status effects on the villain (and avoiding retaliate, which is pretty big vs Zola specifically). I think a more consistent way of stunning and confusing Zola is what tipped things in my favor tbh.

These are the decks what done it.

marvelcdb.com/decklist/view/4254/hawkeye...n-vs-zola-expert-1.0
marvelcdb.com/decklist/view/4255/captain...e-vs-expert-zola-1.0

The Hawkeye deck ended up not needing the Mean Swings really, but I think putting them in is still important if you draw one and don't draw an arrow. Basic ATK for 7 (assuming you have Combat Training in play) certainly makes not drawing that arrow feel slightly less bad.

Justice Captain Marvel is just so good, also. Handle all the threat, then dish out huge burst damage to kill the boss at the opportune moment. She killed Zola by dumping 20 damage on him in a single turn (fully charged Energy Channel + 2x Photonic Blast).

Edit: -Mean Swing x3 -Press the Advantage x1 +Drop Kick x2 +Skilled Strike x2 might be better for Hawkeye? More stun is always nice, and Skilled Strike is +2 on a basic attack and you don't have to exhaust your bow for it. I think I had 1 turn total where I didn't have at least one arrow available, so going so hard into Mean Swing seems kinda wasteful looking at it now. It works either way, just trying to optimize yknow ;)
Last edit: 02 Oct 2020 07:22 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, boothwah

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2020 23:32 #314831 by Ah_Pook
Ran that Hawkeye deck and this Leadership Captain America deck through expert Mutagen Formula a few times today. First time through my cards came out awkwardly and I never got out from under the load of BS you start buried under. I strung it out but Hawkeye died to a million minions and then things threated out pretty shortly afterwards. Second time through though, things clicked. Ended up completely wiping the board on the turn I flipped from 2 to 3 (no threat, no minions), and nuking him for good a few turns later after some managing the 8 encounter cards worth of shit. Final turn had Cap use Inspiring Presence on Goliath for 10 dmg (17 total from his side of the table), then Hawkeye dropped Relentless Assault to clear a Guard minion and double Vibranium Arrows for the KO. Leadership is really really good. Mutagen is a fun scenario. I'm hoping my copy of Kang comes tomorrow!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Dr. Mabuse, boothwah

More
12 Oct 2020 19:45 - 13 Oct 2020 05:56 #315041 by Ah_Pook
Kang thoughts

The scenario is fun and unique, but also runs quite long, is very fiddly, and can be kinda wonky balance wise. You always play all three phases of the villain, which makes the game take half again as long. Also it really plays to the strengths of heroes that like to build. Iron Man and Black Panther can malinger through stage 2 and just annihilate in phase 3 once they're fully operational. Lots of the cards have loooots of text also, and once you get to splitting into different play areas and having a bunch of obligations in play etc theres just a lot to keep track of. So maybe not the slam dunk I was hoping for, but it is quite fun and thematically cool if you're up for a long game.

I still think it's a must buy though, even if only for the modular sets. You get 3, and they're great. One is like Masters of Evil but nastier (big minions, and they all have nasty boost effects too), one is like a weird different Doomsday Chair, and one is just a bunch of obnoxious minions (this one has a T Rex, so it's a win). My current go to scenario is Expert Crossbones + Weapon Master+ Temporal + Anachronauts. He's got a bunch of weapons to attach, and thematically it's fun. The scenario is Crossbones and Hydra stealing an infinity stone, so I'm picturing them grabbing the stone and a bunch of time rifts opening up as they meddle with cosmic forces they don't understand. Chitauari and T Rex's run rampant, chaos ensures.

So yea, it's a good scenario expansion, but it's length and fiddliness will probably keep it as a when I'm in the mood/want to change things up play instead of one that's in constant rotation.

Also, Spiderwoman is fun to build decks for. Colson + Rapid response is the silliest cross aspect combo I've found so far, but I'm sure there's more.
Last edit: 13 Oct 2020 05:56 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Dr. Mabuse

More
19 Oct 2020 20:34 #315355 by Ah_Pook
Tried Risky Business, which was interesting but also felt deeply non threatening even on expert. The way Osborn flips back and forth is near thematically, but since he doesn't attack on the Osborn side and he doesn't scheme on the GG side it seemed basically impossible for him to actually progress towards villain victory or put any pressure on the players at all. I did have the Kree Fanatic modular in there, and it is full of deeply nasty stuff. Going to have to play more games with that in other scenarios. I honestly don't know that I will play Risky Business again without some kind of house rules to give it some fangs. It's almost there, which is the real shame. If Infamy tokens did literally anything, and if GG flipped back to Osborn quickly enough to make his damage when he flips to GG a real threat them I think the scenario would be quite good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

More
20 Oct 2020 10:34 #315364 by jeb
We played that one a few weeks ago and I came away with the same impression. He's always right at the verge of doing something, but it never actually happens and you win. I think we did lose once, actually, when some Goblin Badasses or whatever came out like three at once through some combination of Encounters and Surges or something. But the Scenario is weak, agreed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
28 Oct 2020 15:45 #315650 by Ah_Pook
FFG article about Scarlet Witch is up

www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/...aos-magic-unleashed/

She churns through the encounter deck to fuel powerful effects, which sounds fun. Plus there's good looking new Justice cards. Not sure who looks more fun, her or her brother. Why not both I guess?

I mean this card is just bonkers!

The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
28 Oct 2020 20:37 #315662 by boothwah
I am sooooo excited for SW/QS - I plan on running nothing but Cap's kooky quartet (Cap, Hawkeye, Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch) through everything for a while. Man this game is just home run after home run for me.

Last night I decided to just run some random scenarios with a new deck I've been toying with - Black Widow protection - Natasha is a beast. In an expert Rhino run, he never took a point of damage off of her, despite her tanking 2 attacks with Charge! on the table. Rhino charges, and Synth suit, armored vest, and two energy barriers said nuh uh. PLus she gets to ready for firing off Attacrobatics. Silly Rhino.

I have expert Klaw with Master of Time set up for when I get home tonight. SB fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, jeb, Gary Sax, Ah_Pook

More
28 Oct 2020 20:47 - 29 Oct 2020 20:52 #315663 by boothwah
My updated buyers guide :

Get all of it. No seriously, if you dig this you'll want it all.

Otherwise in order:

Core set - There is no other LCG that offer this kind of value out of the core box - 5 great heroes, 3 fun and different scenarios, and 5 modular sets to mix things up.

Rise of the Red Skull - I did a playthrough allowing myself only the core set and RotRS - And it was fun. You get two great heroes, 5 scenarios, 3 modulars, and a decent campaign.

Ms. Marvel - I dig the hero, but mostly about the fact that protection is lot less fun without the cards included in this pack. Plus it's got some deckbuilding basic staples in Endurance and Downtime.

Captain America - He's Cap. Plus all the leadership allies.

Green Goblin - 2 scenarios, 4 mods, good value

All the rest of the heroes : They are all great - bring different things to the table, and cards for the aspects contained in the packs - Dr. Strange is OP and has some good prot stuff...to the point that I think he'll be referred to as the Iron Fist pack in the future.

Kang - super fun scenario, that is best enjoyed multiplayer. (Hint...solo you can cheese phase 2 and hide out and build) The mods are excellent, and if you have all the stuff above, you'll be looking for ways to beef up some fights.

Wrecking Crew - A fun scenario....with no extra stuff. Still get it!
Last edit: 29 Oct 2020 20:52 by boothwah. Reason: left off wrecking crew typos cuz of phone
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Shellhead, jeb, Gary Sax, jpat, Ah_Pook

More
28 Oct 2020 23:01 #315674 by Kmann
Think you mean Ms. Marvel there - Captain Marvel is in the core box.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

More
29 Oct 2020 08:37 #315684 by boothwah
Ty and fixed. Perils of posting from my phone.

More
31 Oct 2020 23:08 #315799 by Ah_Pook
hallofheroeslcg.com/ant-man/

Full ant man spoilers posted. Got my shipping notice Friday, I'm very hype. Some really fun looking stuff in there.

Justice Ms. Marvel + Lay Down The Law looks pretty baller. Assuming Moment of Triumph combos with Overkill that's going to be sick too.

More
04 Nov 2020 19:47 - 05 Nov 2020 08:51 #315934 by Ah_Pook
spoilers the foldable 3 sided ant man card is real silly and fun. i printed out a regular sized giant form card and sleeved it because im a joyless human, but i do love that this silly thing is in this game.

Edit: ant man is really fun after one play. Kinda reminds me of Ms. Marvel, in that you always want to be flipping. But he heals himself constantly, so you almost never have to flip down to alter ego. I did get utterly destroyed by expert Red Skull w/ Hydra Assault and Legions of Hydra, but that setup has been a savage beat down with whoever I've tried so far so yknow.
Last edit: 05 Nov 2020 08:51 by Ah_Pook.

More
07 Nov 2020 20:55 #316001 by Ah_Pook
I switched Justice and Aggression between Ant Man and Ms Marvel and finally beat Expert Red Skull w/Legions of Hydra and Hydra Assault. It was just BARELY a win though. 21/22 threat in the main scheme, and the last few turns basically buried us under minions and side schemes. Thankfully Ant-Man had a few Giant Stomps up his sleeve for 8dmg per. Staying in front of the board state in this fight is really hard, and a few bad flips can sink you extremely easily. A poorly timed Masterplan is just game over, for example.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse

More
18 Nov 2020 15:59 #316307 by Ah_Pook

More
18 Nov 2020 16:03 #316308 by boothwah
Captain America aggresion has been my jam the last few days, after he'd been on the shelf for a while. I've played him in all the other aspects and cakewalked through most everything. His kit is just so good. Agression games are a bit tighter but a lot faster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds