October 09, 2023
2443 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Marvel Champions

More
13 Sep 2020 01:05 #314043 by boothwah
Used the randomizer tonight: naouak.github.io/marvel-lcg-randomizer/

I get RotRS on Monday, so I went there for inspiration tonight : Captain Marvel Aggression vs Mutagen Formula expert, with the Masters of Evil modular set.

My deck and notes for the run through included here : marvelcdb.com/decklist/view/3652/captain...s-mutagen-buster-1.0

Caps got soooooo much economy, and I figured I could leverage it into an Avengers build. Spider-Woman is so critical to getting you those early breather turns to flip back safely before letting the first stage go.

I'd love to hear how you'd build it, or how your run went.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, DarthJoJo, Ah_Pook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2020 08:24 #314044 by Ah_Pook
Once I get more games under my belt im here for randomized runs like that, sounds fun :) we can compare decks etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

More
14 Sep 2020 10:05 #314053 by jeb
I don't have much to add here, just want to say this game is great for me right now. Mental health wise, it feels great to just hang back and let Hulk and Dr Strange t-bone some clown who wants to take over NYC (why?!?)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
14 Sep 2020 16:41 - 14 Sep 2020 16:45 #314067 by Ah_Pook
Ran Mutagen Formula for the first time. Fun scenario, and also the Green Goblin is a total dick. Ran Hulk (Aggression) and Black Widow (Justice), who both seemed really fun. Held the main scheme to the first card with Black Widow (Under Surveillance is so good though), and did just wild damage with the Hulk. 18 on a turn was my best.

marvelcdb.com/decklist/view/3725/hulk-aggression-1-0-1.0
marvelcdb.com/decklist/view/3724/black-widow-justice-1-0-1.0

Edit: The flip from villain stage 1 to 2 that deals out 2 encounter cards is BRUTAL. it coincided with a deck shuffle for Black Widow and the 5 encounters almost scooped us. Squeaked through with 1 life left on Black Widow and all kinds of bad stuff on the board, but managed to get out from under.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2020 16:45 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, DarthJoJo

More
14 Sep 2020 17:12 #314068 by boothwah

Ah_Pook wrote: Ran Mutagen Formula for the first time. Fun scenario, and also the Green Goblin is a total dick. Ran Hulk (Aggression) and Black Widow (Justice), who both seemed really fun. Held the main scheme to the first card with Black Widow (Under Surveillance is so good though), and did just wild damage with the Hulk. 18 on a turn was my best.

marvelcdb.com/decklist/view/3725/hulk-aggression-1-0-1.0
marvelcdb.com/decklist/view/3724/black-widow-justice-1-0-1.0

Edit: The flip from villain stage 1 to 2 that deals out 2 encounter cards is BRUTAL. it coincided with a deck shuffle for Black Widow and the 5 encounters almost scooped us. Squeaked through with 1 life left on Black Widow and all kinds of bad stuff on the board, but managed to get out from under.

Oh, yeah that Mutagen flip can be nuts. I try to coincide the flip with having a decent board state. Black widow with a couple of widows bite and a grapping hook can make that flip a lot less painful.

That's why it's currently the crucible for a lot of folks on expert : Can I dig out / set up fast enough starting with 3 encounter cards. And then.....can I be ready for the 3 encounter card flip from II to III.

It's my favorite for multi-player, what a mess it makes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
14 Sep 2020 22:05 - 14 Sep 2020 22:05 #314078 by Ah_Pook
Same 2 decks vs expert Rhino. Still a win, but in a less minion rich environment Hulk didn't generate enough Hall of Heroes charges to really get a lot of use out of it. and 4-7 damage per attack made things tricky for Black Widow re staying alive, so she was less useful for thwarting purposes in general. Ended things with a 19 damage turn with Hulk followed up by a Followed on the Bomb Scare side scheme from Black Widow to kill Rhino once and for all. That raw damage coming out every turn was a challenge. Could maybe use a few cheap allies in the BW deck for chump blocks?
Last edit: 14 Sep 2020 22:05 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, boothwah

More
15 Sep 2020 00:08 #314084 by jeb
Does anyone else find Hulk kind of overpowered? We just play I and II Villains and with my son (always) Dr. Strange, I find being Hulk to be just too much. I am just obliterating things. I can get >20 in a turn with this deck, with just the Hulk, nevermind Allies. Between that and Cyttorak, I think Earth is safe. I'll tune up difficulty by just being someone else.

More
15 Sep 2020 04:10 #314085 by boothwah

Ah_Pook wrote: Same 2 decks vs expert Rhino. Still a win, but in a less minion rich environment Hulk didn't generate enough Hall of Heroes charges to really get a lot of use out of it. and 4-7 damage per attack made things tricky for Black Widow re staying alive, so she was less useful for thwarting purposes in general. Ended things with a 19 damage turn with Hulk followed up by a Followed on the Bomb Scare side scheme from Black Widow to kill Rhino once and for all. That raw damage coming out every turn was a challenge. Could maybe use a few cheap allies in the BW deck for chump blocks?

I run a pretty full ally set ..Quake, Coulson, dd, Jessica, mock, and nick. I usually don't need for justice! or some of the other justice staples. My justice deck is pretty heavy on the builders and preps and I usually have it milled down to about 18 cards after 2nd pass, and then it's all confuse and dance of death enders...or triggering 9 damage to the villain for style points to finish them during the villain phase after letting my teammates think we just missed. ;-)

More
15 Sep 2020 04:15 - 15 Sep 2020 04:46 #314086 by boothwah

jeb wrote: Does anyone else find Hulk kind of overpowered? We just play I and II Villains and with my son (always) Dr. Strange, I find being Hulk to be just too much. I am just obliterating things. I can get >20 in a turn with this deck, with just the Hulk, nevermind Allies. Between that and Cyttorak, I think Earth is safe. I'll tune up difficulty by just being someone else.

Hulk is amazing at doing damage if that's all he has to do. Also, he is a chore to play solo, atm. I love him.

Dr. Strange is amazing at doing everything. I pick aspects mainly to run allies to throw rings on. I've gotten bored with him, and save him for, "fine, we are beating this now" He is one of the best hero's for a new or younger player, because he can do a lot with just his kit, making him fun to build. I always suggest him or Cap to someone trying the game out,
Last edit: 15 Sep 2020 04:46 by boothwah.

More
19 Sep 2020 22:24 #314253 by Ah_Pook
I tried Dr. Strange tonight and man that guy seems wildly good. Granted we were up against Rhino, but we did have the Doomsday Chair in there for spice. Double first turn Winds of Watoon (I think that's the name) for 6 extra cards helped him hit the ground running. Was running Justice, and like... His kit was so good most of the justice cards seemed like a waste lol. Beat Cop did one shot Modok the second time he showed up though, which was fun. Granted it was the turn where Strange also killed Rhino but IT STILL COUNTS! Also, a triple Crimson Bands of Cytorak 21dmg turn... Yea. The dude is a powerhouse. Very fun.

He was backed up by Protection Black Panther, since I hadn't tried a Protection deck yet. Taking all the hits etc to enable Strange to do basically whatever he wanted all the time certainly felt good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Dr. Mabuse, boothwah

More
21 Sep 2020 10:37 #314268 by jeb
Dr. Strange is probably going to the back line for us, he is really game-breaking. I think we'll use him to audible for especially hard challenges. Even with no deck-building at all, and he is absolutely bonkers partnered with everyone.

My son and I are wading through the RED SKULL expansion with Dr. Strange (no mods) and Hulk (tuned) just to see the content, but maybe it's not a good idea because we don't get to see much when we hit for 15+ a turn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
22 Sep 2020 10:16 #314315 by Ah_Pook
Dr Strange Justice seems kinda like it trivializes the game, at least on standard difficulty. Granted I haven't played through all the scenarios etc but I think he might be a hero for when you want to try tackling Heroic. He is very fun to play though, so at least there's that.

How's everyone liking the campaign scenarios? I think I'm going to play through that this weekend.

More
22 Sep 2020 12:12 #314332 by jeb
The campaign is a little underbaked, I think, but it's good for what it is: tons of new cards and a wicked pile of bad guys. Even Crossbones is tough. Absorbing Man went down easier than I thought, but note we were Hulk/Strange, so it's not like he wasn't a Stunned/Confused lump half the time.

Hawkeye needs work, or a good teammate I think. The arrows are GREAT. Focus on the arrows, they are amazing, so do whatever you can to get them going. But if you miss recurring them, you are going to get BLADOWED.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Ah_Pook

More
22 Sep 2020 13:14 - 22 Sep 2020 13:17 #314352 by Ah_Pook
Oh yea I'm not expecting huge stuff from the actual campaign mechanics, mainly I just hope the scenarios are fun etc. The Guardians campaign looks like it's got a little more going on from what I've seen, but I honestly don't want or need a huge story driven thing with this game. The standalone nature makes it so much easier to play than something like Arkham.

Also, I got preshipping notice from Admodee for the Kang scenario. It looks kinda awesome from what I've seen. Heroes getting shot off separately to different historical periods and having to fight through to get regroup and take on the baddie... That's super great shit. Also there's an encounter set with a random T. Rex showing up, so that's going in every game for a while for sure.
Last edit: 22 Sep 2020 13:17 by Ah_Pook.

More
22 Sep 2020 13:20 #314354 by Gary Sax
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Ah_Pook

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds