October 09, 2023
2426 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2633 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Let's Talk About Root

More
19 Sep 2018 20:41 #281926 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Let's Talk About... Root

Michael Barnes wrote: Ha! I saw Not Sure’s post after I put my review up.

Not Sure: It’s not like the game of a generation or anything.

Barnes: It is the game of a generation.

That's pretty classic stuff there. Your review wasn't up yet when I was writing that.

I almost put something in my response to Shellhead's timeline that a few weeks ago you were totally fawning over it in the other thread, and we hadn't heard a word since GW dropped that Rogue Trader box on your doorstep. I figured you'd given it up to paint space suits and huff fumes.

I think it's a good game, but the rest is just mass hysteria. I'll be surprised if it's forever-shelf material for you. It's certainly not a game for everyone, since it's quite direct about what it does. If the zeitgeist says "asymmetric conflict is the new worker placement!" I'm gonna be a pretty happy guy, but lets just say I have my doubts on that.

(for PBEM, I'm still in, but I can't commit to a game until early October. Going to Kauai for a week on the 29th, and I hope to not even see the Internet while I'm there...)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, stoic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2018 20:45 #281927 by SaMoKo
Replied by SaMoKo on topic Let's Talk About... Root
I like the assymetry in the game, I dislike the limited strategic scope of each faction. Maybe that lessens with more plays, and maybe it varies with each faction (with the Blue Jays, I felt a little underwhelmed by how straightforward the game felt).

I’m not gonna knock the game on fragility with inexperienced players - many of my favorites are like that. But for this type of game, I’ll stick by Chaos in the Old World or Cosmic Encounter. I enjoyed Root, I’ll gladly play it again, but it’s not something I must have on my shelf.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Colorcrayons, stoic, Oatmeal

More
18 Jan 2019 09:17 #295840 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Root
Find adventure in a marvelous asymmetric game. Root provides limitless...

Find adventure in a marvelous asymmetric game. Root provides limitless replay value as you and your friends explore the unique factions all wanting to rule a fantastic forest kingdom. Play as the: Marquise de Cat: Dominate the woods, extracting its riches and policing its inhabitants. Woodland Alliance: Gather supporters and coordinate revolts against the ruling regime. Eyrie Dynasties: Regain control of the woods while keeping your squabbling court at bay. Vagabond: Seek fame and fortune as you forge alliances and rivalries with the other players. Each faction has its own play style and paths to victory, providing an immersive game experience you will want to play again and again.

More
23 Mar 2019 15:28 #294334 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Let's Talk About... Root
I wouldn't mind playing Root a second time at some point, but only one of my friends owns it. His huge win with the Woodland Alliance didn't leave anybody else with enthusiasm for a second play.

More
23 Mar 2019 16:47 #294339 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Let's Talk About... Root
I get that. Doesn't bother me, but losses in this game especially in the first 2-3 games just feel like out of nowhere surprises and can be discouraging. The Pax games also have this.

More
23 Mar 2019 17:35 #294340 by hotseatgames
Tonight is the debut of Root to my group. If everyone shows, the first game will have 4 and the second will have 5.

I realize the 5 player game is not ideal for people new to Root and I have no idea how that one is going to go. But I am going to be very clear to all of the players about the following points. Feel free to add some other wisdom I can drop on them. I *think* this game will go over big with them, but if we end up with a crushing defeat / runaway leader, who knows....

1. If you only worry about yourself, you will lose.
2. If you never do something that benefits someone else, you will lose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Vysetron

More
23 Mar 2019 18:18 - 23 Mar 2019 18:19 #294344 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Let's Talk About... Root
I would mention that the game is on a timer (30VPs) that is much shorter than you think. Most people put in on a normal 2-3 hour DoaM timer and I think it is much shorter and more clipped than that.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2019 18:19 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
23 Mar 2019 18:31 #294347 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Let's Talk About... Root
Point gain for many factions is not linear, and Sax is right, 30VP is short.

You can scrabble for the first few points and think the game is going to take forever, but it's not that unusual for a faction like the Vagabond or Alliance to throw down 10VP in a turn. Out of 30, that's pretty crazy.

The game isn't a really a rollercoaster, it's a drop ride. Start slow, kick your feet, then bam it's over. Watch out once the engines get going. For the Vagabond, keep a very close eye since the "engine" is kept in tokens on his player mat, not out on the board where everyone else is looking. Don't let that sneaky bastard fly under the radar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, Vysetron

More
23 Mar 2019 18:32 #294348 by Erik Twice
Replied by Erik Twice on topic Let's Talk About... Root
I would recommend people to wack the Vagabond regularly and remind them that they should crush the Woodland Alliance early because it's difficult to get rid of them once they have a stronghold.

I heartly recommend using the balance notes if you can find them. Give your Marquise a fair chance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Vysetron

More
24 Mar 2019 13:45 #294369 by RolandHemisphere
My copy came in the mail this week and I'm fairly stoked.

A couple questions? I know some balancing has occurred, but have these changes been made prior to the current kickstarter? Do these changes matter when getting started with the base game? and what are the necessary files?

Anything besides "read the rules, play the game?"

Thanks y'all!

More
24 Mar 2019 14:07 #294370 by WadeMonnig
Replied by WadeMonnig on topic Let's Talk About... Root

RolandHemisphere wrote: My copy came in the mail this week and I'm fairly stoked.

A couple questions? I know some balancing has occurred, but have these changes been made prior to the current kickstarter? Do these changes matter when getting started with the base game? and what are the necessary files?

Anything besides "read the rules, play the game?"

Thanks y'all!

Check Here Look under files for 3rd printing update kit. Also, there are Print and Play files for the new KS factions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RolandHemisphere

More
24 Mar 2019 14:14 #294371 by WadeMonnig
Replied by WadeMonnig on topic Let's Talk About... Root

hotseatgames wrote: 1. If you only worry about yourself, you will lose.

1 a.) Since every faction is vastly asymmetrical, If you worry about everyone else on your initial play. your head will likely explode as you are learning 4 "games" at once.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think it's like teaching/playing Cthulhu Wars, where you learn bits and pieces of every faction during the initial plays and you need to "know" all the faction powers in order to try to stop them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, RolandHemisphere

More
24 Mar 2019 14:24 #294373 by hotseatgames
Last night's game was handed to the Eyrie by the peaceful Vagabond. He never fucked with anyone.

More
24 Mar 2019 14:35 #294374 by RolandHemisphere
Do you know If I back the KS for 1.00, I can then buy the upgrade kit for 5.00? that sounds like a deal

More
24 Mar 2019 14:41 #294375 by hotseatgames
Yes you can do that, it's on the FAQ for the page.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RolandHemisphere

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.313 seconds