October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Godtear Beats the Odds - Review

More
18 Aug 2022 12:19 #335076 by Michael Barnes
Look, chances are you slept on Steamforged Games’ Godtearjust like I had but...

One of the best games you aren't playing.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2022 15:07 #335077 by charlest
Good stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
18 Aug 2022 16:22 #335081 by fightcitymayor
Godtear gets a lot of good grassroots buzz, so much so that it inhabits that B-level minis game tier along with great games like Mantic's Deadzone and FFG's Star Wars Legion that simply get crowded out of popular culture due to the 800 lb. gorilla in the room named WH40K.

A lot of tortured YouTube content creators have become more vocal lately about how GW sucks up all of the algorithm oxygen in the room and making videos about practically any other minis game is doomed to fail with barely 500 views because in social media terms: Only the rich get richer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, lj1983, n815e

More
18 Aug 2022 17:16 #335082 by Gary Sax
Your description of the product line is stressing me out thinking about it and trying to get in on it with out outside info.

Looks pretty cool. The description sounds like it's taking from MOBAs a bit here too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, lj1983, n815e

More
19 Aug 2022 01:59 #335093 by Space Ghost
I’ve been trying to ignore this for weeks. How does it compare to War Cry? Any need to try it if everything is peachy keen with WC?

Maybe I should stick to Dreamblade…

More
19 Aug 2022 07:48 #335097 by charlest
It's in the vicinity of Warcry and even Dreamblade. It's more abstract than WC but less so than DB.

Warcry has some advantages, however. Better setting and more distinct style, stronger narrative, and an excellent campaign mode. Playing on 3D terrain is its own appeal. Warcry is actually more streamlined too in terms of combat.

But Godtear is faster to get going and requires no commitment. Every single release slots in as a useful expansion.

Is there room for all of these games? Probably not, but I love Godtear and I'm getting back into Warcry anyway with the Heart of Ghur boxset and the new 2.0 rules.

I still play Dreamblade occasionally too. And Warhammer Underworlds. And Unmatched, Gaslands, and Marvel Crisis Protocol. And my favorite skirmish game, Mythic Battles Pantheon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax, DarthJoJo, n815e

More
19 Aug 2022 07:49 #335098 by fightcitymayor

Space Ghost wrote: Maybe I should stick to Dreamblade…

Now that's a golden oldie!
Too bad it devolved into everyone running the same handful of figs because it fell prey to Magic The Gathering disease (everyone immediately gravitates to the power stuff, leaving 90% of the available stuff behind in the dust.)

More
19 Aug 2022 08:30 #335100 by Michael Barnes
Yeah there are definitely some echoes of Dreamblade here - especially how it seems doomed LOL.

To add to what Charlie said, War Cry is very much a GW miniatures game. Godtear ks mich more of a board game, really, despite the figures. I’d almost consider it to be closer to Battlelore and the C&C lineage but with elements of a skirmish miniatures game mixed in

Ease of play is a HUGE advantage. It sets up under 5 minutes. There’s no terrain, you don’t need any books, equipment or accessories other than what is in the box. The minis are colored so you don’t absolutely need to paint them to tell them apart. The rules are brief. It finishes politely and consistently in 60-75 minutes.

I’ve got almost everything for it now, I’m missing a couple of Slayers, one of the Maelstroms, and one Guardian. When the shaper fairy comes out I’m just going to wrap it up. It’s my son’s favorite game so we’re playing a couple of times a week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, DarthJoJo, n815e

More
19 Aug 2022 08:35 #335101 by Michael Barnes
Ok the MOBA comment Sax made- when I first heard about this game I thought it was a MOBA thing. And it sort of is- especially when the scenario breaks down into lanes and you are sort of looking at a 2 or 3 sector field with champions kind of paired off. But this is not always the case. When objectives get moved around, you find your champion in a lane opposite one that they are disadvantaged against, or if things just get screwy you might be clumping for a center scrum, trying to flank, or just trying to hold ground it’s really dynamic and the lack of terrain never matters. It also does not tend to turn into just a clump of United slugging it out, unless you are playing 1 champion per side and that is highly inadvisable anyway.

More
21 Aug 2022 12:59 #335147 by Michael Barnes
LOL my son actually gave a a better review than I did after our game last night “this game gives you everything you want and nothing you don’t want”.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Gary Sax, hotseatgames, sornars, DarthJoJo, Vysetron, n815e, Kmann

More
22 Aug 2022 06:59 - 22 Aug 2022 07:00 #335163 by Vysetron
That honestly sums it up best. There's just no fat on the design, all of that is saved for the business model. If a friend hadn't sold his stuff off for cheap I absolutely never would have tried this in the first place. Fortunately because of its shaky launch it seems like you can find a lot of stuff on sale if you shop around.

I don't really see the Moba-ness in most scenarios but there are a couple that effectively split into 2-3 conflicts which resemble lanes if you squint. I generally like those best. The default Life scenario pretty much always becomes a huge scrum in the center. Not a bad thing, but a consistent one.
Last edit: 22 Aug 2022 07:00 by Vysetron.

More
22 Aug 2022 08:15 #335167 by mads b.
How does this compare to WH Underworlds? I've been playing that with the 10yo and I quite like it. But on the other hand the deck building aspect does not interest me that much.

More
22 Aug 2022 08:19 - 22 Aug 2022 08:20 #335168 by charlest
I personally think Underworlds, when experienced in it's optimal environment, is a better and more interesting game. But that relies on constant deckbuilding, which is not feasible for most people playing casually (including me).

Godtear, while certainly capable of competitive play, just works so well in the casual setting because there are no factions and no prep work involved.

I do miss the variable/hidden objectives from Underworlds though (and the setting).
Last edit: 22 Aug 2022 08:20 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Gary Sax

More
22 Aug 2022 11:24 #335174 by Michael Barnes
The deckbuilding zeroed out my interest in WHU. Also keeping up with releases, sorting through the cards, buying additional card decks and accessories, paying attention to the meta…too much nonsense for me to enjoy the game, which was very good. This makes Godtear by far the better game in my book.

The objectives in WHU were interesting but I like the streamlined approach in Godtear more. Kill stuff or put your banner out, you get steps on the ladder. If your banners stay out you might get more. Then if it’s on your side you get points. So there is some dynamism…in our game Saturday we had a kind of wonky matchup in the center between Mournblade and Rangosh. As a slayer, Rangosh gets extra steps for killing champions. Well, Rangosh’s followers (the best in the game IMO) have a skill that lets them shoot their crossbows and deal an automatic wound if they hit and then also get a boon of their choice for stealing treasure so you take accuracy to make sure that auto wound hits. Then you just terrorize Mournblade, because he only has 1HP. You’ve really got to screen him with his Knightshades or he’s toast. I just totally bullied this champion. It was more lucrative to just keep killing him than it was to fuss with banners. So even when the scenarios are simple, they are dynamic and agendas can shift during them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Virabhadra

More
22 Aug 2022 12:58 #335177 by Virabhadra

Space Ghost wrote: Maybe I should stick to Dreamblade…

My girlfriend unknowingly paid me the best compliment the other day. She picked up a Dreamblade figure on the windowsill and asked me, "Hey shouldn't you be more careful with this?"

"What do you mean?"

"It looks like one of your models when you just start painting it."

So that was nice. :-)

Incidentally, Dreamblade is incredibly easy to pick up and play. There's a spreadsheet floating around that generates legitimate Starters and Boosters, so drafting is a cinch - here are 21 miniatures, pick the 5 you don't want to use.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds