October 09, 2023
2506 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2705 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Return to Neuroshima Hex: One old army and two new ones

More
10 Jan 2022 08:29 #329621 by Jackwraith
There have been some developments in the world of Neuroshima...

Diving back into the post-apocalyptic survey of Neuroshima Hex factions.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2022 15:37 #329622 by hotseatgames
Nice article! I haven't played Neuroshima in so long. The last army I bought was Mississippi I think.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Jackwraith

More
10 Jan 2022 16:11 #329625 by Jackwraith
Thanks! I've had a few games in the last few months, mostly with Trogs and Beasts, so of varying quality as I'm continuing to learn how to use those armies. But it's still Hex so it's still generally a good time.

More
11 Jan 2022 09:52 - 11 Jan 2022 12:27 #329641 by Rliyen
A game I wish to get to the table soon. You're absolutely right about Doomsday Weapon it's a cracked out army, nigh unstoppable. I'll let new players use that to get acquainted with the game, then crush their spirit when they play another army! Mu ha ha.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2022 12:27 by Rliyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
11 Jan 2022 10:10 #329642 by charlest
I'm glad you're writing about these older games Jackwraith.

I loved Neuroshima Hex for a brief moment, but kind of grew tired of it over time. I think personally I'd just rather play a miniatures skirmish game or a two player card game if presented with a single opponent and an hour.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith, sornars

More
11 Jan 2022 10:25 - 11 Jan 2022 10:26 #329645 by hotseatgames
N Hex really requires dedicated opponents, something that was maybe easier to find back when it came out, and today there is a lot more competition in that space.

One would think that its lack of miniatures and thus cheap price / ease of setup would be more of a positive but I don't know that it is the case.

I agree that two player is best, but I have had many great 3 and 4 player matches. Again though, once you go past 2 players there are a lot of more attractive options for other kinds of games.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2022 10:26 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Jackwraith, sornars

More
11 Jan 2022 10:53 #329646 by Gary Sax
I think you're right, to play optimally I think you really have to know what's left in your opponent's bag and what it does.

More
11 Jan 2022 11:05 #329647 by Jackwraith

charlest wrote: I loved Neuroshima Hex for a brief moment, but kind of grew tired of it over time. I think personally I'd just rather play a miniatures skirmish game or a two player card game if presented with a single opponent and an hour.

I totally understand that. In fact, I've been there myself with some players whom I know wouldn't really be into the "miniatures-esque" nature of Hex, but would be into the card game that is Neuroshima Convoy. The attraction to me of Hex has been not only the setting (I'm a sucker for anything post-apoc), but the variety spawned by the interaction of different factions. A game of Hegemony vs Mephisto is very different from Hegemony vs Outpost and so on. Plus, the nature of the game kind of elevates the tactical considerations above many card games for me. Not only is it a random draw, like cards, but there are also many things to take into account before deciding what to discard, what to play, and what to save for a future turn (an option not taken often enough by many, many players.) Then, you have the consideration of where to place each tile on the board to make it most effective or to make it a feint to distract your opponent from where that ideal tile might go for that future turn... In that way, it's much more like a minis game. But the advantage for Hex in that respect is that, as opposed to a whole new minis faction which might cost you $20-30, a new army for Hex costs you $10. I think the minis are probably more aesthetically pleasing (GW veteran) but the cost difference can't be ignored. Plus, I can fit all 20 armies, the board, and two stand-up dice bags for drawing from in one standard size box.

So, yeah, I can make a lot of arguments in favor (obvsly), but I also get that its shine can wear off or simply not hook people in the first place. And, like hotseat says, it is pretty much strictly a two-player, whereas we often found it easier to accommodate more players in games like Mordheim or simply to play something different with three and four.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, hotseatgames, sornars, charlest

More
11 Jan 2022 11:46 #329649 by Jexik
I first got NH because someone positively compared Summoner Wars to it. It’s a solid game and I probably wouldn’t turn it down if someone I knew around here was excited about it. I like Summoner Wars better and can’t even find live players for it either.

More
11 Jan 2022 12:06 #329653 by Jackwraith
I was so tempted by the new edition of Summoner Wars. It looks very cool and it's a fresh start with revisions to make things work better and... No. Can't do it. Not only would it be just one more game on the pile, but it's a two-player and I lost my regular opponent a few months back (not, like, permanently lost; he just moved on to other things) so I also wouldn't have anyone to regularly play it with. I'm lucky that I can still cadge people around here into the occasional game of NH.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds